Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

In almost 10 years of war, do you believe there legitimately are soldiers out there who want to deploy and through absolutely no effort on their part to avoid it simply have not had the opportunity to do so at this point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

If the Soldiers have not been actively avoiding deployment, there are many instances where they may have been put into positions that did not allow them to deploy. Many AGR's fall into this category, or those in staff, TRADOC, or having an obscure MOS that may not be in demand by the current conflict.

And really, it's not my business what the deployment record of another Soldier is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Short answer is NO, I don't believe that there legitimately are Soldiers out there who want to deploy and through absolutely no effort on their part to avoid it simply have not had the opportunity to do so because anyone who has been in the Army for awhile knows that if you voluntary you will get it. I do believe there is a population that may not be avoiding it, but they not voluntarying either . . .the "they haven't called my number" crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In general, NO! There are, I'm sure, a few exceptions but for the most part, those that haven't deployed (AT LEAST) once are shamming, shirking cowards. I honestly think that if you don't have a combat patch you should NOT be eligible for promotion beyond SPC (No selection by DA boards either).
    This is, of course, only my personal opinion.
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In general, NO! There are, I'm sure, a few exceptions but for the most part, those that haven't deployed (AT LEAST) once are shamming, shirking cowards. I honestly think that if you don't have a combat patch you should NOT be eligible for promotion beyond SPC (No selection by DA boards either).
    This is, of course, only my personal opinion.[/QUOTE]

The Army is BIGGER than a "Combat" or more appropriately named "Deployment" patch is some cases. I would suggest that hanging out on the FOB at "Green Beans" coffee didn't involve a lot of combat. It is also ridiculous to suggest that promotion eligiblity be tied to a "Combat Patch". That patch only represents a percentage of the total Soldier. Deployments don't necessarily provide the experience and lessons that individuals need to be successful leaders for the long haul. From my time on "deployments" one common theme exist. Most of the "Standards" and doctrine go out the window...especially with the NCO's (SSG-SFC) and officers (1LT-CPT) who should know better. As for cowards...it probably takes one to call one.....IMO...of course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ecksray, I guess we know what's NOT on your right sleeve.

Oh, I guess it's possible that from your "experience sitting at Green Beans" you don't see much value in a Combat patch but the bottom line up front is there have been plenty of Soldiers killed sitting on a FOB minding their own business and not too many of the REMF biotches sitting stateside (or in Kuwait) at Starbucks waiting for mortars to drop on them so I have 1000 times more respect for a POGUE (perhaps like you, not saying though) that sat his fat ass on a FOB in Iraq or Afghanistan than some turd that did whatever he/she could to get or stay in a non deployable unit or TDA assignment. That's just my opinion though.
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCGYVER View Post
    Ecksray, I guess we know what's NOT on your right sleeve.

Oh, I guess it's possible that from your "experience sitting at Green Beans" you don't see much value in a Combat patch but the bottom line up front is there have been plenty of Soldiers killed sitting on a FOB minding their own business and not too many of the REMF biotches sitting stateside (or in Kuwait) at Starbucks waiting for mortars to drop on them so I have 1000 times more respect for a POGUE (perhaps like you, not saying though) that sat his fat ass on a FOB in Iraq or Afghanistan than some turd that did whatever he/she could to get or stay in a non deployable unit or TDA assignment. That's just my opinion though.
    Not that it matters, I have combat patches. Again, requiring a combat patch for promotion eligiblity through SSG or on DA boards doesn't seem to be the best way to groom leaders. Time spent on deployment is only a percentage of a well-rounded Soldier..enlisted, NCO or commissioned officer. They still need to develop the ability to deal with the assortment of Soldier issues from financial to domestic to general counseling. Does time on deployment prepare them for this? Yes..for some it does, but not all. From that prespective, I am pretty sure combat time/ time spent deployed is considered by these promotion boards, but the lack of it shouldn't penalize an otherwise outstanding Soldier.

Also, my previous comment "Green Beans" comment was not meant in any way to disrespect the memory of any of the brave men and women that have given their lives for this country.

JD2780

What I do get a kick out of is, I being an AF guy being told at jump school hey AF i know you dont know what combat is but when the bullets fly its intense dont be afraid to find the nearest soldier on the DZ and he'll get you out of there. I was like are you serious. I've gone on more raids and more patrols than this guy. I've got "combat patches" from 2ID, 25th ID, 1ID, and 1SFG. I was sure to wear the 1SFG one the next day and wear the rest through out the course. There were only 3 black hats at jump school who didnt have the right shoulder sleeve insignia. Those that did, didnt really talk smack about combat. One of the cadre was my 6's driver with I was with 2-3 INF in Mosul. It just baffles me how people can talk smack and have done so little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your primary job is to train Soldiers for combat but you've never been to combat then you are NOT the best person to train those Soldiers. If your primary job is to train kids to ride bikes but you've never ridden a bike then you are NOT the best person to train those kids.

Perspective.

JD2780

Perspective shared by many.