Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

I just don't understand how it is even possible that in 10 years, one simply has not had the opportunity while others have had the opportunity 3,4,5, times. IF this is indeed the case, HRC or someone needs to seriously take a look at how these "opportunities" are being handed down. JMO.

I also find this quote contradictory:
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King

If a man....ie a SOLDIER has not stood in either Astan or Iraq during this time of chanllenge and controversy over the past 9 years, then clearly they have chosen to remain in comfort and convenience (CONUS). That being the case, I think it is pretty easy to measure said man's character. Again JMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I totally agree with FatCat40 on this. I have only been deployed to Iraq twice and I tried to get out of my current assignment (non deployable) so that I could get into a deploying unit for Afghanistan but my branch wasn't trying to hear it. Only two more years and I'll be back in a regular unit getting ready to do what I've trained all these years for. That's what Soldiers do. We train to fight and when there's a fight we go fight it. How hard is that to frigging understand. Wow!
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"A Little Historical Perspective
    DoD estimates that about 31 percent (about 1,790,000) active duty members served in the combat theater during the Korean War, from 1950 to 1953."

"About 3,400,000 military members (about 39 percent of active duty) served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, from 1955 to 1975."
    "During the first Gulf War, DoD statistics show that 584,342 active duty members and 110,208 National Guard and Reservists deployed to the Gulf during DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM. That represents about 26 percent of the 2.2 million on active duty at the time."
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/terro...ymentrates.htm

Other requirements: "The military of the United States is deployed in more than 150 countries around the world, with more than 369,000 of its 1,379,551 active-duty troops serving outside the United States and its territories." Wikipedia

Conclusion: Most servicemembers DO NOT Deploy to or during most wars or conflicts.

Not serving in a combat zone during the above conflicts/wars was not a sign of cowardice or avoidance, it is no different during these conflicts in Iraq or Afghanistan. Many are willing but because of circumstances/specialties/other requirements do not deploy. Because some have deployed multiple times does not mean those who have not are goldbricks, malingerers or deployment dodgers, albeit there are many.

ChiefB
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Using desert shield/storm is not comparable. Neither of those lasted long enough for everyone to rotate through. Apples and oranges.
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

JD2780

Did Vietnam last long enough for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we had over 7,000,000 military members (like we did during Vietnam) the percentages wouldn't matter nearly as much as now when we have about a third of that number (2.7 Million). When you trim the pool of available people those people have to pull more duty. Do you not understand that simple logic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCGYVER View Post
    If we had over 7,000,000 military members (like we did during Vietnam) the percentages wouldn't matter nearly as much as now when we have about a third of that number (2.7 Million). When you trim the pool of available people those people have to pull more duty. Do you not understand that simple logic?
    We're ><. Apparently some will use any non-existent logic or stats to justify not having deployed at least once during the current conflicts when there simply is no justification IMO. OK, I'll concede that one could have been assigned to a TDA unit but in my experience most assignments only last 2-3 years. Assuming one was in a TDA assignment at some point from 2003-2010, that still leaves 4 years in which they should've been deployable with an MTOE unit UNLESS they extended to remain in said TDA assignment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FatCat40, I'm totally with you. There is absolutely NO excuse for the vast majority of those Soldiers who haven't deployed at least once in the last 10 years. Shameful, totally shameful. I'm not judging them ALL, just the majority of them and they know who they are. If the shoe (or boot) fits, wear that puppy. If not then drive on. Most of the ones that raise the biggest stink about my comments on this are the ones that haven't done the deed and want to try and justify it to me and others on here. They need to save their breath (typing) because I really couldn't care less about excuses and they are honestly trying to convince themselves that they aren't cowards. Like I said, if the boot fits, wear it, if not then drive on with your bad self.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCGYVER View Post
    FatCat40, I'm totally with you. There is absolutely NO excuse for the vast majority of those Soldiers who haven't deployed at least once in the last 10 years. Shameful, totally shameful. I'm not judging them ALL, just the majority of them and they know who they are. If the shoe (or boot) fits, wear that puppy. If not then drive on. Most of the ones that raise the biggest stink about my comments on this are the ones that haven't done the deed and want to try and justify it to me and others on here. They need to save their breath (typing) because I really couldn't care less about excuses and they are honestly trying to convince themselves that they aren't cowards. Like I said, if the boot fits, wear it, if not then drive on with your bad self.
    Ok, MCGyver, lets put the boot on your bad, Delta Ninja, self.... What would be the motivation of one who would condemn his fellow servicemembers for their circumstances that did not call them to serve in the AOR?

Those who really participate, past and present, have too much class to cast aspersions on others without knowledge of their circumstances.

I've given you statistics of studies by others that you have just chosen portions of to create a diversion in the discussion.

The bottom line is that service or lack thereof in combat zones is a crap shoot and not a given, some go, some don't. All that go are not necessarily happy to go, those that don't aren't necessarily dodging their responsibilities.

You have condemned others without knowledge but only based on incidental conjecture. You have provided NO background facts or stats.

You've sunk to a low level, in my book when you have the temerity to assume and judge those (whomever they may be) who don't agree with your invective as "the ones that haven't done the deed" and "trying to convince themselves that they aren't cowards".

I, for one, don't agree with you, but I've done the deed (at another time) and you wouldn't have the 'nads to call me a "coward", to my face, unless you wanted to go home with your nuts in a cup. So how about knocking off the name calling and the childish bragging.

Those who really do the "deed" don't use braggadocio to condemn others who haven't, on an anonymous forum.

You need to take a tip from your own, ironic signature line which describes yourself, perfectly.. The boot does fit...wear it!

In the future, I intend to follow the last sentence of your signature quote.

ChiefB
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chief, dense much? I stated several times that there are, of course, exceptions. I also stated that "most" of those having a problem with my comments are the ones that haven't done the deed. Obviously I wouldn't call you a coward because you've been to combat (so you say) so that's another silly statement. As for you putting my nuts "in a cup", that's pretty mature of you but a) this is an anonymous forum where people often say stuff they can't back up and b) I don't get intimidated by other men. Am I a badass, BJJ, UFC, MMA, Ninja? Nope, just a man like any other but I'll cower to no man. Have a nice day sunshine.