Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

But not one that makes a lot of sense. Or how do you explain how well our Army performed in 2003?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you have extreme air superiority, conventional weapons that dwarf your enemy's weapons, professional Soldiers against rag tag (national guard type) soldiers and intelligent military leaders that don't bank on "allah" keeping them safe from the infidels, it's pretty easy to stomp the shiite out of a muslim.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Driver View Post
    But not one that makes a lot of sense. Or how do you explain how well our Army performed in 2003?
    Ground forces trained by men who been to combat such as Desert Storm, Somalia, any other beautiful landscapes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Ground forces trained by men who been to combat such as Desert Storm, Somalia, any other beautiful landscapes.
    All 100 hours of combat seen by the Desert Storm folks?

and other than the firefight during the Black Hawk Down incident, how many of the troops actually did any fighting?

JD2780

Yes all 100 hrs of desert warfare at which you can still develop sound TTPs. Also it may not have been many troops but those that did fight in in Somalia, which more went on than Black Hawk Down, helped develop TTPs for urban fights also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King

Many a Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Airman will never see combat or be deployed to the AOR or be "outside the wire".. this does not detract from their willingness to serve. Condemning the unknown or the non-comprehensible circumstances of any service person's career happenstance is unfair, shallow and needlessly cruel.

ChiefB
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your quote my Mr. King contradicts your statement. I am pretty sure that during times of challenge and controversy that if you aren't near the controversy or being challenged then you fall into the category of boy, not man. So many can come up with all kinds of excuses of why they haven't deployed but the bottom line is that we've been at war on two fronts for at least 7 years now and if you haven't deployed yet when others have deployed 3 or 4 times you are either non-deployable (sick, lame or lazy) or you are shamming. There are, I admit, some exceptions but they are just that, exceptions. The vast majority of those that haven't deployed haven't wanted to and are in jobs where they can get away with not doing so. Just like some Soldiers know how to play the system to get out of doing their jobs. Well, guess what? The more TIS/TIG you have the more you know about how to get over and not deploy.

Just my opnion and I'm "just sayin". If the boot fits, wear it. If not, drive on.
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCGYVER View Post
    Your quote my Mr. King contradicts your statement. I am pretty sure that during times of challenge and controversy that if you aren't near the controversy or being challenged then you fall into the category of boy, not man. So many can come up with all kinds of excuses of why they haven't deployed but the bottom line is that we've been at war on two fronts for at least 7 years now and if you haven't deployed yet when others have deployed 3 or 4 times you are either non-deployable (sick, lame or lazy) or you are shamming. There are, I admit, some exceptions but they are just that, exceptions. The vast majority of those that haven't deployed haven't wanted to and are in jobs where they can get away with not doing so. Just like some Soldiers know how to play the system to get out of doing their jobs. Well, guess what? The more TIS/TIG you have the more you know about how to get over and not deploy.

Just my opnion and I'm "just sayin". If the boot fits, wear it. If not, drive on.
    My quote was appropo.....those that were standing up and willing to go are no less men because they were not selected.

BTW, incidental stats show that in 2007 less than 60% of servicemembers had ever deployed to either AOR.

According to recent statistics from the
    Army’s Human Resources Command, 40.6 percent of soldiers
    have never deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    19 However, that figure
    alone is misleading. For instance, this group includes soldiers
    in basic training, serving in critical nondeployable jobs like
    recruiting, or who are medically ineligible to deploy.
    20 Nevertheless,
    the command found that 37,000 of these soldiers, some 7
    percent of active duty soldiers, appeared to have no immediate
    excuse from deployment. A quarter of those troops work in medical
    services while the rest come from space operations, telecommunications,
    and similar support specialties.
    21 While the Army
    works to reduce its nondeploying population, the other services
    appear to have even higher rates of nondeploying personnel.
    According to October 2007 Air Force figures, 63 percent of Army
    personnel have deployed, 55 percent of the Marine Corps, 51

percent of the Air Force, and 50 percent of the Navy.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/aul/aupress/...ttala-WP13.pdf ---Background

ChiefB
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, so AHRC (not a scientific organization by a longshot) does some review and publishes some stats. Let's break them down. If 7% of those Soldiers had no excuse that means we should have seen about 67% of all Soldiers (instead of 60%) having been deployed. Since when are "telecommunications" Soldiers not needed in a war zone? Wow! As for the other services, I am not that concerned, nor surprised at their stats. Most of them (yes, I know there are exceptions) are not placed in positions of imminent danger from direct fire as Soldiers are. Oh, the study doesn't count trainees, profiles and several others either. WTF?!?!?! Why not? How about an actual break down of the different groups? Then we could zone in on the problem areas and attack (fix) them.
    No matter what you do some will always find fault because that is their only focus/goal and source of joy. They are negative by nature and weak in character. These people are the losers of society. Avoid them like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over the years I have had a few Soldiers volunteer to go, id say around 6. Only one has been given the chance. I have volunteered four times since 2002. 1st it was “we need a SSG, not a Sgt”. 2nd I volunteered to stay in Iraq after the invasion and I was told “the unit needs you back home”. 3rd and 4th time I volunteered I never heard anything back. I was asked if I wanted to go back over in November, I said id think about it. The next day I found out the girl was preggers so that was an easy answer.

I’m not going to sit there at judge any SM just because they didn’t deploy, who knows why they didn’t deploy. Their MOS my not let them or their MOS may not be needed over there (yes they do have those MOS’s that are not needed over there), their unit may not have been called on or their unit may be doing stuff here in the states so they can’t be called on, they may have volunteered but never got the call. OR, they might be trying to dodge a deployment.