Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    And while i can see why they did that, it is ALSO the biggest reason things get so hammed against service members...
    I don't think servicemembers get "hammed" any more than the average civilian male out there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    If USFSPA were completely thrown out...military spouses would be unique as the only spouses who were NOT entitled to a spouses pension.
    A former military housewife who was married for at least ten years to a military service member would still be eligible to collect social security even if she never earned any money during her life.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

As soon as the number of women who earn more than their husbands reach a certain critical mass, we'll probably start quickly seeing some changes in the state divorce laws regarding marital property and community property.
    Which imo shows how sexist the law is, to where it has to hurt more women than it helps before it gets changed.

I think the CONCEPT that military retirement is just as divisible as a retirement account should stand.
    And most of us don't. Retirements in the civilian sector do NOT COME with a clause that you can be recalled at any time of the presidents choosing. A military retirement DOES.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

And...............it is not a pension...........have I heard that before?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

On February 5, 1997, a civil jury in Santa Monica, California unanimously found Simpson liable for the wrongful death of and battery against Goldman, and battery against Brown. Simpson was ordered to pay $33,500,000 in damages. The Goldman family tried to collect Simpson's NFL pension of $25,000 a month but failed to collect any money because California law protects pensions from being used to satisfy judgments.

So our laws say that the Goldman family can not claim ownership of Simpson's NFL pension, yet our laws allow a lazy and unfaithful military housewife to claim ownership of her husband's military retirement income.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    On February 5, 1997, a civil jury in Santa Monica, California unanimously found Simpson liable for the wrongful death of and battery against Goldman, and battery against Brown. Simpson was ordered to pay $33,500,000 in damages. The Goldman family tried to collect Simpson's NFL pension of $25,000 a month but failed to collect any money because California law protects pensions from being used to satisfy judgments.

So our laws say that the Goldman family can not claim ownership of Simpson's NFL pension, yet our laws allow a lazy and unfaithful military housewife to claim ownership of her husband's military retirement income.
    In similar news...if Simpson had been in the military instead of the NFL....the Goldman family would not have been able to touch his military retirement either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In similar news...if Simpson had been in the military instead of the NFL....the Goldman family would not have been able to touch his military retirement either.
    If the Goldman family shouldn't have the legal right to claim ownership of Simpson's NFL pension, then why should a lazy and unfaithful military wife have the legal right to use the divorce courts to claim ownership of the military retirement income of her husband?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    If the Goldman family shouldn't have the legal right to claim ownership of Simpson's NFL pension, then why should a lazy and unfaithful military wife have the legal right to use the divorce courts to claim ownership of the military retirement income of her husband?
    It's apples and oranges...

If the Goldman family sues you for something and wins...they can't touch your military retirement either.

I understand your disagreement with the USFSPA...but let's not distort the facts here...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's apples and oranges...
    Why? Is it because you (and all the former military spouses) say so?

You didn't answer my question. You didn't even come close to answering my question.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

...but let's not distort the facts here...
    Which "fact" did I distort?