Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspections

takthekak

Failed Inspections

2 Malmstrom units fail nuke inspections

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Feb 24, 2010 15:15:17 EST

Two more Air Force units have failed nuclear surety inspections. The 341st Missile Wing and 16th Munitions Squadron, both at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., received “unsatisfactory” grades from inspectors Feb. 9.

Both the wing and the squadron can still handle nuclear weapons, said John Thomas and Ron Fry, spokesmen for Global Strike Command and Air Force Materiel Command, respectively.

Global Strike Command oversees the wing, and AFMC oversees the squadron.

Inspectors from each respective command will return to the units in three months, the spokesmen said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Inspections

I can't speak to nukes specifically, but I can speak to AF Inspections....

1) Regulations are excessively numerous and beyond unorganized - knowing everything is like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

2) Inspection checklists ask very broad questions; inspectors operate solely off these questions - not knowing the details of the entire regulation or even the entire paragraph the requirement is found in.

3) Inspection checklists themselves are numerous and disorganized.

4) Commanders and SNCO's more worried about doing things their OWN way

We can reorganize the structure of the AF 1,000 times - it will never solve the root problem

Inspection failures are due to inflated performance reports and promoting people too soon. AND because the AF primary mission has become Booster Club, Community Events, Airman's Creed, and PT....rather than KNOWING YOUR JOB.

takthekak

This was the best article I read awhile ago on the subject...
    http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...ailure_121908/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Failed Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by takthekak View Post
    2 Malmstrom units fail nuke inspections

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Feb 24, 2010 15:15:17 EST

Two more Air Force units have failed nuclear surety inspections. The 341st Missile Wing and 16th Munitions Squadron, both at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., received “unsatisfactory” grades from inspectors Feb. 9.

Both the wing and the squadron can still handle nuclear weapons, said John Thomas and Ron Fry, spokesmen for Global Strike Command and Air Force Materiel Command, respectively.

Global Strike Command oversees the wing, and AFMC oversees the squadron.

Inspectors from each respective command will return to the units in three months, the spokesmen said.
    Now, these are two units that the Commands ought to man up and decertify so that they can get their shyt together without the "Man" hovering over their shoulder.

Then they ought to do a HQ staff assistance visit and roll up their sleeves and do whatever they can to standardize and "assist" in correcting the unit's deficiencies.

Then, certify the unit to be ready for inspection and have it reinspected, rated and recertified. That way, the HQ staff can accept some of the burden for their good/bad guidance.

There is a hell of a disconnect here between HQ staff hovering with immunity over units that are suffering from poor leadership and HQ guidance.

We have to start creeping up the chain of command, sooner or later and find the dilettantes that are consistently letting their units twist in the wind.

It is no excuse that "only" the IG is cognizant of weak units and the HQ staff is innocently oblivious. They have responsibilities of oversight and should be aware of the good, the bad, and the ugly before the guns land and shoot the players.

ChiefB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's where the AF should be concentrating their "fit to fight" instead of "fit to test" motto. It p****** me off to no end that we can throw all types of money into a PT program; new uniforms, civilian testers, man hours into developing a program/new OI's, yet here we stand facing one of our biggest missions in the Air Force, Nuclear Surety, and we seem surprised when a unit fails, then simply turn around and tell these units to "work harder" and "fix it."

This is a systemic problem in the Air Force, a combination of broadened responsibility and increased duties outside their primary ones, for our shrinking military population.

I am not saying this problem rests solely w/ those at the top. It is a shared responsibility. Inspections are testing our safety, reliability and readiness, which puts the spotlight on our Junior enlisted/officers, our workhorses.

Bu there must also be someone to prioritize this mission as coming first, and these additional duties second. You simply cannot afford to prepare 60-90 days out for an inspection and be confident in going forward. Sadly, this is what I see from a majority of units. Call it mismanagement, fear of leadership backlash, whatever it is... it is definitely a problem, and rather than simply saying "fix it" and then breathing a collective sigh of relief until preparing 60 days out for the next inspection, the issue needs to be brought to the forefront and dealt with.

Sadly I fear that won't happen because the conclusions would not be considered acceptable.

/soapbox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now lets go and check everyone EPR's in those two units.....lets see how many firewall 5's are there!!! probably everybody

BTW, I did pass my year recruiter inspection today..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFSSGT View Post
    Inspection failures are due to inflated performance reports and promoting people too soon. AND because the AF primary mission has become Booster Club, Community Events, Airman's Creed, and PT....rather than KNOWING YOUR JOB.
    Is it just me or is the Creed dying a slow death? I don't think it's near the big deal it was thank god.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Is it just me or is the Creed dying a slow death? I don't think it's near the big deal it was thank god.
    You haven't been to my base lately then... We, well I should say the Airmen, recite it like we are zombies at almost every function. Of course, the Chief that usually makes us is deployed...so I feel sorry for the guys in the AOR right now. But, he has rubbed off on a few others.

I hope it is slowly dying though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    I haven't heard any new music from Creed in a while, either. I think they broke up.

Shhhh....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

STOP! This is a no go! We supposedly get referral 3 EPR's for FAILING the PT TEST. EVERYONE involved in these inspections should get a referral 3 EPR....