Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer BAH vs Enlisted BAH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Officer BAH vs Enlisted BAH

I will say that there should be (and in fact are) minimum and maximum levels of expected housing. It wouldn't be fair to the E1 to live in a cardboard box while the General lives in a mansion. Having said that, the General should have better housing than an E1. Heck, an Lt should have better housing than a CMSgt. RHIP, they are the officers and we are the enlisted.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDave View Post
    This is the age old argument of blue vs white collar. Why does my boss make more money than me just because he is management and I'm not ?? It's because companies and the military have placed value on that degree and what it may have taken to earn it. That value is in terms of compensation. If you want someone with particular skills, and you as a collective unit (the military or company) have determined that a four year college degree is the prerequisite, then you must be prepared to provide incentive for those people to earn the degree and receive the commission. Those incentives are higher pay or benefits.

It's supply and demand, folks. Not rocket science. To be an officer (not CWO/LDO) you must have a degree. Do that, we'll pay you more and give you better living conditions. Don't do it, and you don't get the extras.
    +1. You are right. I am a CWO and I get the same BAH as an E-6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Previous responses to this post are biased and probably from the lower ranking officer community. If anyone thinks in their mind that an O-1 has more responsibility then any E-7 through E-9 they are delusional. The reason that BAH is higher for Officers then any of the enlisted ranks besides E-9 is because of these factors;

1. The Officer Association has a powerful lobbying force in congress and the senate.

2. There are less officers than enlisted so it is cheaper to provide better housing for officers.

3. It is a way to retain individuals who have a college degree by offering them a tax free incentive and descent housing.

The problem with this is the same problem I see with the military structure the officer ranks has swelled beyond the requirements of the military. We do not need the amount of officer to enlisted ratio that we currently have in the Navy alone we have a ratio of 1 officer to 5 enlisted. This is ridiculous and is a terrible waste of money. We can do with a 1 enlisted to 10 officers this would cut the officer force down by half. It would free up 1.8 billon dollars a year in the Navy alone (25000 officers average pay a month 6000 x 12 months). This in turn would allow the amount of BAH to increase throughout the ranks. This would also allow more enlisted personnel to own homes…… It would also put more responsibilities on the officers that are out there. So what are we waiting for? This is not about BAH but a question of one of the seven deadly sins gluttony of the officer corps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Hell !!!!....I am an educated man......and didn't know what the hell an ellipsis was.

.........guess I am not so educated after all.

((and I also don't write haiku))
    Well, now you are even more edumecated!

ChiefB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To whom this may apply:

When will this "penis" envy ever end?

The officers make more BAH than the enlisted....WHAAAAAAAA!
    The officers make more Basic Pay than the enlisted....WHAAAAAAAAA!
    The officers make more flight pay than the enlisted....WHAAAAAAA!

With what the average enlisted brings to the table, initially, they are paid very well.

With what the enlisted brings to the table mid career, they are paid damn well.

With what the enlisted brings to the table as a SNCO, they are paid well.

Who gives a rats that a General gets paid X dollars and a Chief gets paid Y dollars?

Officer responsibility, command, delegated authority and executive leadership are what makes the monetary difference.

Get over this false comparison/discrimination red herring.

Its embarrassing how crass and envious all this enlisted whining becomes. We are better than all that.

Do any of you chronic officer bashers have any self respect at all? In all levels of employment, the pay and perks increase with position and authority. The AF and other services are not one damn bit different.

Meet the higher requirements and training and get the pay...period.

Otherwise, be grateful you can still hold a job as a chronic, and shallow malcontent.

ChiefB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOAL-D View Post
    Can we get back to the elipses discussion please?...
    Ok, I'm gonna learn ya.... its ellipsis

ChiefB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you dont like it, advance!!!! I was recently selected for FY-10 STA-21 and I'm about to have a full plate of college and military duties for the next couple of years. I have also served 7 1/2 yrs as an enlistedman earning my right to be called a First Class Petty Officer in a rate of 1.3% advancement. Are you going to tell me i dont deserve a little incentive for busting my hump to put a package together, committing to my current off duty education and earning my commission as a Naval Officer? Whats next, are you going to complain that calling an Officer "Sir or Ma'am" is too politcally correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why shouldnt lower enlisted be paid the same as NCOs? Lots of E3s have duties(or have had to assume them) that are the same as NCOs. Why do they have to "advance" to make more money? It should be the same for all ranks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    Why shouldnt lower enlisted be paid the same as NCOs? Lots of E3s have duties(or have had to assume them) that are the same as NCOs. Why do they have to "advance" to make more money? It should be the same for all ranks...
    You honestly believe a 17-year old E-1 should be entitled to the same housing as a 55-year old O-10?
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is this thread still open? It reeks of jealousy. If you dont like officer BAH, either don't complain or go get your commission. Rank has its privileges, and a higher BAH is one of them.