Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriosly, why arent beards allowed..and dont give me that gasmask BS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seriosly, why arent beards allowed..and dont give me that gasmask BS

If that army can pull this off..then maybe..just maybe I should be a "sikh" too

US Army Capt. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi, a Sikh, was granted the right to wear his beard and turban in uniform last month, an accommodation that will weaken military culture, "fueling doubts about the judgment of leadership and resentment of special treatment for religious minorities."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Seriosly, why arent beards allowed..and dont give me that gasmask BS

I'll tell you why I personally think they went away....too many guys were growing crappy looking beards or not keeping them kept well and the CNO got tired of looking at it Navy wide. Easiest way to solve it ? Forbid it altogether.

Yes, the few screwups f'd it up for the rest of us.
    Disclaimer: All of the above statements may/may not be based on true events. Your comprehension will vary, based upon literacy, basic understanding of the English language, and most recent bowel movement (or lack thereof). No resemblance to any persons living, dead, undead or co-existing in a parallel universe is intended.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFI 36-2903 Dress and Appearance Standards....youre in the MILITARY...DEAL with it

"boo hoo...why cant I wear my AC/DC t-shirt underneath my uniforms....:::tear:::"

You wanna wear converse sneakers too?

Anyway...Its about maintaining a professional image.

Believe it or not, other countries uniforms and appearance make them look bad to a lot of Americans while stateside

Full on beards, Earrings, Pants not bloused, boots with no shine and scuffs everywhere, sleeves rolled up....etc.....

Its the difference between Walmart employees wearing nasty clothes with a walmart vest

versus

Target employees wearing khaki and red uniforms all standardized in appearance with no logo's

And yes, it makes a difference, I know people who only shop at Target because their people look a ton more PROFESSIONAL than billy bob wearing his ripped t shirt and vest does

In that one place....with the people and the things.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that you mention it.......I do want to wear converse shoes with my uniform!!!!!!

Über Director of Laws and Rules for the Troll Cabal

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDave View Post
    I, for one, would not want to shower with an 800lb gorilla...I don't care what her rank is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDave View Post
    I'll tell you why I personally think they went away....too many guys were growing crappy looking beards or not keeping them kept well and the CNO got tired of looking at it Navy wide. Easiest way to solve it ? Forbid it altogether.

Yes, the few screwups f'd it up for the rest of us.
    I remember when that happened, Sailor. For ther longest time, the Navy could wear beards at sea. It was the late 80s or early 90s when they changed that.

I don't think the AF ever allowed them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michaep View Post
    AFI 36-2903 Dress and Appearance Standards....youre in the MILITARY...DEAL with it

"boo hoo...why cant I wear my AC/DC t-shirt underneath my uniforms....:::tear:::"

You wanna wear converse sneakers too?

Anyway...Its about maintaining a professional image.

Believe it or not, other countries uniforms and appearance make them look bad to a lot of Americans while stateside

Full on beards, Earrings, Pants not bloused, boots with no shine and scuffs everywhere, sleeves rolled up....etc.....

Its the difference between Walmart employees wearing nasty clothes with a walmart vest

versus

Target employees wearing khaki and red uniforms all standardized in appearance with no logo's

And yes, it makes a difference, I know people who only shop at Target because their people look a ton more PROFESSIONAL than billy bob wearing his ripped t shirt and vest does
    You must be bipolar, or a troll, or both. Either way you flip flop back and forth more than a cornered politician. I understand the concept behind uniform rules and regulations. However, I am more than happy, as a matter of fact I am grateful that there are organizations that allow members of their units to grow beards. I have been so fortunate to have worked with these professionals, and I believe they have more professionalism in their large toe nails than many of us do in our bodies.

I have also worked with NATO, my second assignment was with AIRNORTH actually. Regardless some of the guys I worked with were allowed to have beards as long as they were neat. I think the mentality of beards are only for the dregs of society is an anachronism, just like take on tattoos and some of the people who whine about the two being unprofessional. If and when the AFI is changed I will follow it, just as I follow the AFI now.

Except for tucking my ABU's in my boots...NOT happening.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is one article I found on the matter since the OP did not post one.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...hjMjhmOWJlMzY=

This is ridiculous that special permissions are being allowed... And also seemingly only to sects of Islam or people of similar decent. Where are the liberals and their screaming of seperation? It is funny how that concept only applies to Christians... What is so hard about following dress standards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can grow a beard...just schedule an appointment with your doc and tell him/her that shaving irritates your skin and I'm sure they will give you a waiver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD View Post
    If that army can pull this off..then maybe..just maybe I should be a "sikh" too

US Army Capt. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi, a Sikh, was granted the right to wear his beard and turban in uniform last month, an accommodation that will weaken military culture, "fueling doubts about the judgment of leadership and resentment of special treatment for religious minorities."

I wonder if AAFES will start carrying these in ABU pattern for us Druids.

Surely, the mightiest Air Force in the world doesn't want to be accused of discrimination, does it?

I wonder how this would look with a reflective belt.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is ridiculous that special permissions are being allowed... And also seemingly only to sects of Islam or people of similar decent. Where are the liberals and their screaming of seperation? It is funny how that concept only applies to Christians... What is so hard about following dress standards?
    Not to be nit-picky, but Sikhs are not Muslims. Sikhism is a totally different religion that originated in India. However, I agree with the overall sentiment of your post.

Also, I have a personal incentive not to grow a beard. If I even thought about growing one, I'd never get any again from my wife.