Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Another CSM with no combat patch

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another CSM with no combat patch

Wow. My head hurts after trying to read through this thread. Look folks - combat patch, no combat patch, deployments, no deployments - who cares!? Some people wear a patch/deployed and didn't do S**T! In too many instances the patch/CAB/BSMV, even PH doesn't mean anything close to what people assume it means. Going back to the original point: who cares if the West Point CSM never deployed. None of the cadets will care. The guy's got a lot of time in uniform and there are only so many senior NCO positions available. Besides, if he actually has no combat experience and/or actually did dodge deploying after all these years, I'd rather he stay at West Point where he can't jack things up than force him overseas where his decisions could do harm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It could be worse...
    In the AF, we had an E9 who never deployed, and how did she make E9...she played the flute in the AF band! After 18 years of playing the flute and making it to E9, she was forced out of the band and reassigned to a Chief's position in squadron. She was really lost at what she was suppose to do! She constantly called other chiefs and asked for advice on all sorts of items. Whenever someone was waiting to see the CC or the First Sergeant, you can hear her loudly on the phone "Hi, Chief XXXX its Chief YYYY, listen can you give me your advice on this...." When we asked why we were undermanned, her response was "that's above my pay grade!" Really? You're a Chief, give us some kind of answer.
    But everytime there was a Commander's Call, she was always the one to lead the squadron in the squadron cheer and give the loudest motivation speechs and words of encouragement. To the younger Airmen, she was a great chief. To those that knew where she came from, she just pretended to be a chief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
    It could be worse...
    In the AF, we had an E9 who never deployed, and how did she make E9...she played the flute in the AF band! After 18 years of playing the flute and making it to E9, she was forced out of the band and reassigned to a Chief's position in squadron. She was really lost at what she was suppose to do! She constantly called other chiefs and asked for advice on all sorts of items. Whenever someone was waiting to see the CC or the First Sergeant, you can hear her loudly on the phone "Hi, Chief XXXX its Chief YYYY, listen can you give me your advice on this...." When we asked why we were undermanned, her response was "that's above my pay grade!" Really? You're a Chief, give us some kind of answer.
    But everytime there was a Commander's Call, she was always the one to lead the squadron in the squadron cheer and give the loudest motivation speechs and words of encouragement. To the younger Airmen, she was a great chief. To those that knew where she came from, she just pretended to be a chief.
    If she came to my unit I would have appreciated the fact the she has a diverse background. Ex-flute players can bring something to the table at any unit.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 106PADDOCK View Post
    Well young Sergeant, I spent 25 years in the AMEDD so I know a little about TDA & TO&E medical units. I know that TDA units CAN AND DO send their Soldiers to backfill TO&E units that are deploying. Where do you think doctors and nurses come from when hospitals deploy??? I would hope that as an NCO you would have this basic fund of knowledge about AMEDD TO&E units.........BTW the USAF & US Navy also pulls staff from hospitals to support deployments. If you are really bored or desire to learn.....look up information on AMEDD augmentation units in FM-4-02-18....
    Here's a little taste for your consumption young Sergeant of what YOUR MOS does in combat A/O..

• Advise theater logistics units (corps support battalion [CSB], main support battalion
    [MSB], division support battalion [DSB], forward support battalion [FSB], and brigade support battalion
    [BSB]), ration breakdown point (RBP), and dining facilities (DFACs) on storing subsistence to minimize the
    threat of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) contamination2-1. Medical Detachment, Veterinary Service, TOE 08440A000
    a. Mission. This unit provides veterinary services to all branches of the Services throughout the
    AO in the areas of approving commercial food sources; food safety/security/sanitation; food service
    sanitation; MWDs and GOAs care; veterinary preventive medicine directed towards endemic zoonotic
    diseases and foreign animal disease surveillance/mitigation; and humanitarian civic action programs in
    support of all branches of the Services throughout the AO. For Medical Force 2000, L-Series TOE
    veterinary units, see Appendix B.

Your NCO "leaders" should be educating you not some retired NCO.....I suspect they are too busy hiding from deployments and don't want you to realise there is a need and place for you and THEM in the fight!!!
    +1. The term is called PROFIS. He might think that USDA just inspects the food downrange.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_142.pdf

http://www.fas.usda.gov/icd/drd/afghanistan.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    Likely you had a retention NCO. Recruiters are MOS 79R, but retention NCOs are MOS 79S. Or that's what it used to be. Think it's maybe 42-series now. Either way, they're different MOSs. Recruiters don't deploy, but I believe (and I could be wrong) that you have to have previously been a recruiter to become a retention NCO. I'm not talking like battalion reenlistment NCOs, who can be any MOS; I'm talking about those with the actual retention NCO MOS.
    I must correct you regarding retention NCO's and 79S. A retention NCO is an appointed duty at the company or battalion level for an NCO. A 79S is a school trained Career Counselor for which I am one and yes, we do deploy with our units unlike a 79R, Recruiter who has nobody to recruit in the OEF/OIF/OND AOR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems that lots of people still have wrong ideas about the three Military Academies in the US. These CSMs, who are probably good at USAREC work, One of them will probably RUN the USAREC Station at West Point. Everyone of those Cadets has to go through USAREC to make their choice of career assignments, both when they first step on the post, and again when they are ready for Graduation. In any event, the USAREC CSM is more valued for his working competence, not how many wars he-or she- has participated.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]