Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrassing Smokers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Harrassing Smokers

Not just AF. All of the services medical teams do it as part of triage. If you have an abnormal reading on your blood pressure or some other vital sign, they have an idea of what may be causing it. I don't smoke, and get asked the same questions.

Even when it's documented in your record, you could quit or start since the last time you were seen. So they ask. As military health care professionals, they are compelled to try and keep you as healthy as possible for your military duty.

They're no more harrassing you that the dental tech is for asking if you brush or floss when they've got their hands in your mouth. Just let them do their job and quit feeling like someone's persecuting you.
    Disclaimer: All of the above statements may/may not be based on true events. Your comprehension will vary, based upon literacy, basic understanding of the English language, and most recent bowel movement (or lack thereof). No resemblance to any persons living, dead, undead or co-existing in a parallel universe is intended.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDave View Post
    Not just AF. All of the services medical teams do it as part of triage. If you have an abnormal reading on your blood pressure or some other vital sign, they have an idea of what may be causing it. I don't smoke, and get asked the same questions.

Even when it's documented in your record, you could quit or start since the last time you were seen. So they ask. As military health care professionals, they are compelled to try and keep you as healthy as possible for your military duty.

They're no more harrassing you that the dental tech is for asking if you brush or floss when they've got their hands in your mouth. Just let them do their job and quit feeling like someone's persecuting you.
    Yes, God knows its important for me to be in peak shape when I jump on a forty year old plane a fire a fucking connon out the side of it. Guess I could go for a quick run around the burn pit on my downtime. I certainly hope if they offer this level of concern for those morbidly obese dependaphants lurking in the hospital all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner7 View Post
    Yes, God knows its important for me to be in peak shape when I jump on a forty year old plane a fire a fucking connon out the side of it. Guess I could go for a quick run around the burn pit on my downtime. I certainly hope if they offer this level of concern for those morbidly obese dependaphants lurking in the hospital all day.
    I'll bet if that 40 year old plane drops out of the sky and you survive, you'll be glad you have the stamina and endurance to walk the who knows how far to get back to friendly territory. You might just live to regret a smoking habit (if you have one). I know that if I'm in the plane with some lardass who has barely been getting by on their PT and/or a heavy smoker with no lung capacity, I don't want to have to drag his/her fat ass to safety. But I'll wear myself out trying.
    Disclaimer: All of the above statements may/may not be based on true events. Your comprehension will vary, based upon literacy, basic understanding of the English language, and most recent bowel movement (or lack thereof). No resemblance to any persons living, dead, undead or co-existing in a parallel universe is intended.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll bet if that 40 year old plane drops out of the sky and you survive, you'll be glad you have the stamina and endurance to walk the who knows how far to get back to friendly territory. You might just live to regret a smoking habit (if you have one). I know that if I'm in the plane with some lardass who has barely been getting by on their PT and/or a heavy smoker with no lung capacity, I don't want to have to drag his/her fat ass to safety. But I'll wear myself out trying.
    Good point, have you noticed a lot of smokers are thinner than the non smokers? Maybe we should encourage it in basic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good point, have you noticed a lot of smokers are thinner than the non smokers? Maybe we should encourage it in basic.
    Thinner, yes. More capable, no. While I may have an easier time carrying you to safety, I'd just as soon you be able to make it on your own. And, barring significant injury, I need you to have the capability to keep up with me while I'm hightailing my ass to safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thinner, yes. More capable, no. While I may have an easier time carrying you to safety, I'd just as soon you be able to make it on your own. And, barring significant injury, I need you to have the capability to keep up with me while I'm hightailing my ass to safety.
    So based on the fact that I smoke you can conclude that I am overweight and out of shape? Your Jedi powers are off a bit I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know this is just an instance....but one of the fastest runners I have known smoked more than a pack a day and could run 2 miles in just over 11 minutes.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So based on the fact that I smoke you can conclude that I am overweight and out of shape? Your Jedi powers are off a bit I think.
    Never said you were. What I mean to say is that I'd prefer you not have any self-imposed diminished capacity. If your smoking doesn't have any detrimental effect on your health, good on you. Can you say that about a majority of smokers ?? Judging from just my own experience, I've found that smokers and also heavy drinkers are at much greater risk of having a health problem that could lead them to be a hazard to themselves or others in an emergency situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Everyone gets asked the same questions, it's just if you answer yes then they ask you more. It's so that they can determine your overall health, also so that they can determine what may be wrong with you and/or what types of meds you can take. It's no different than the alcohol questions.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smarg View Post
    Steve,

Don't know if anyone has ever been completely honest with you, but smoking and smokers STINK!!!

Their breath stinks, their clothes stink, their bodies excrete a smoky sweat stink, their budget for paying $5 a pack stinks, their second-hand smoke that non-smokers breathe stinks, their ashtrays stink, their smoking areas stink, their houses stink, their cars stink, their yellow tobacco-stained teeth stink, their diminished lung capacity stinks, and finally, the money that taxpayers have to fork out to pay for increased medical costs due to smoking stinks.

Any stinking questions?
    No - just a big fat question...pun intended.

If we're going to start whining about paying for smokers' health care, then let's get all the fried food off base, clear the commissaries of bakeries and the candy bar isle and make shop snack bars punishable under the UCMJ. Likewise for Power Bars, Monsters and "Weight Gain 4000". Shut down the Class VI too. Note that besides asking about supplements, the doc doesn't ask about diet even if you still have a peanut stuck to your chin from the Snickers bar you ate on the way to the clinic.

Healthy people live a lot longer, and it has been mathematically proven that they cost more to the taxpayer based on that longer life. So do the responsible thing, health nut, and die before you get old and cost me a fortune...besides, you smell of tofu and cabbage.

Seriously, people need to mind their own business. If we pass the same PT test, then we have the same capabilities...right? Yes, smoking kills. We all know it. So does cirrhosis from drinking, high cholesterol and/or sodium from a poor on-the-run diet, skin cancer from years of exposure in the desert...and I don't see us making a step to infringe on your right to drink, eat fast food or even issue friggin sunscreen.