Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(DELETED OP)

Post deleted by member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tips on how to improve your chance of becoming an Air Force Officer

I was wondering if i could ask you a quick question about joining, im prior service from the army i just recently ETS from the army i have a honorable discharge, my dd214 and all other documents needed to join i was a 11BO in the army my rank was SGT E-5 and im Ranger and ABN qual plus other minor schools i was in for 5 years, my only downfall is that i got out with a RE code 3 cause i was a medical discharge for 2 left knee surgeries which didnt allow me to be a 11B anymore according to regs if you could please get back to me on how many prior service is the USAF taking at this time and is there anything that i can do to help, i know about the medical waiver which i am working on and my knee is actually very good now that i had some time to rest and heal.

Go_Blue

lrsd01 - Are you looking at OTS or going enlisted? If enlisted, you ought to post your own thread regarding your circumstances, not in the OTS thread where no one is ever going to see it.

Back to the OTS discussion (lively as it is!), I will back up what Bunch has to offer, and thank him for making this thread for other OTS hopefuls. I just got selected on the 09OT04 non-rated board, and the competition was extremely stiff. I do not have a technical degree, but because of my academic achievements, community involvement, letters of recommendation, and a fantastic interview, the package was strong enough to make the very demanding cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a BS in Chemistry and had a 2.92 GPA when I graduated. When I was in high school I took the ASVAB for the heck of it and score high enough that I had every recruiter calling me trying to get me to join. I am thinking about applying to OTS but am unsure. I have no prior military experience and just graduated May 09 and have no experience in my field yet. What do you think my chances of getting accepted are?

Go_Blue

I'm sure Bunch will chime in with the correct info, but I believe your degree is a technical one, so that is in your favor. My recuiter says he's always looking for people with technical degrees. You GPA, though, could be much higher. That is a strike against you. GPA technically is no longer a weighted component during the selection process, but it is certainly considered as part of the "whole person concept," and a low GPA can hurt you.

Also, ask the recruiter if chemistry degrees are in the Critical Accession Degree (CAD) program at the moment. As I understand it, those with degrees that qualify for the CAD program can apply any time during the year and are evaluated against a set of standards, not other applicants. No boards to wait around for. Definitely worth checking out.

It's nice that you scored well on the ASVAB, but in order to apply to OTS you'll have to score well on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT). The ASVAB plays no role whatsoever in the OTS process. If you have volunteering experience, leadership roles in and out of school, and good letters of recommendation from those who know you well, you could put together a solid package. I'm no recruiter though, so this is where I shut up and let the professionals do their thing.

Also, check out AirForceOTS.com. You'll get a lot more help and insight than on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    I have a BS in Chemistry and had a 2.92 GPA when I graduated. When I was in high school I took the ASVAB for the heck of it and score high enough that I had every recruiter calling me trying to get me to join. I am thinking about applying to OTS but am unsure. I have no prior military experience and just graduated May 09 and have no experience in my field yet. What do you think my chances of getting accepted are?
    GO_BLUE jus gave you some fantastic advice...who better to explain to you the process than someone who just did it?!!

Like Blue said your degree os a technical one but it wont qualify you this time for CAD BUT and this is a big BUT you got to apply because things change in a hearbeat as far as Air Force needs are concerned. A technical degree is a plus, just make sure when you take the AFOQT you ace that test, you got to ace the interview and get some good letter of recomendation that shows leadership, community involvement and if you know, a family member knows or a frieds know someone with rank in the military that can write you a letter of recommendation even better.

Talk to your local recruiter and do your research about the AFOQT, I think you have a good chance if you are determined to make it.

Go_Blue

Thanks Bunch.

As someone who just went through it successfully, I just wanted to add some advice to anyone else considering applying to OTS. I don't think I'm allowed to say much about the AFOQT other than it is long, timed, and while it's not all rocket science, it is something people need to take very seriously. Do not go in unprepared by blowing off studying and getting familiar with the material on the test. It depends on what type of test taker you are too. I know some people who were notified two days before they took it, and they scored 90's across the board; others had months to study and still only scored in the 30's (vice-versa, too!). That's why it's so important to know your strengths/weaknesses ahead of time, and plan accordingly.

Here are some links I found helpful during my studying:

http://www.petersons.com/dod/DODHubP...&HubPage=10191
    http://www.baseops.net/afoqt/
    http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/s...p?search=afoqt

The Petersons site is particularly helpful, as that contains a full practice test, as well as links to the current edition of the Arco Master the Officer Candidate Tests book. The AFOQT-specific section can be found at: http://airforce.com/pdf/AFOQT_S_Pamphlet_REV.pdf

Once you've studied, take the practice test under timed conditions to see how well you do. I cannot stress enough the importance of being familiar with the allotted time on various sections of this 11-part test. The material itself is not the most difficult, but the real game lies in completing the section in the time allowed.

The officer interview, as Bunch noted, is also crucial. As the Capt I interviewed with explained, they act as the quality control and eyes for the selection board. An applicant can look fantastic on paper, but when it comes to interacting in person, they just don't cut it (in appearance, behavior, communication skills, etc). As much attention as the AFOQT gets, I really think the officer interview can make or break an application. Know yourself, your motivations and desires for joining the Air Force, different leadership styles and which one suits you (and why). That's the applicant's chance to shine (NOT brag...check the attitude at the door) and explain what they have to bring to the Air Force's table. If you make a great impression on the officer conducting your interview, they will go above and beyond to give you the best endorsement possible. Trust me.

Also, be a good applicant. Don't make your recruiter do all the leg work, because it's not their job! I had a fantastic OA recruiter (my EA recruiter, who did all the initial stuff, was great too). We communicated well, and I made sure that I had all the documents, paperwork, etc completed on time or early, and showed up where I needed to be when I needed to be. I did a lot of research on my own, lurked for awhile on the AirForceOTS.com forum (great resource, but has it's share of BS too), and got a jump start on gathering letters of recommendation, security clearance contacts, etc. I had my personal statement finished and reviewed by many people well before I needed to give my recruiter my packet. Everything that was my responsibility to do was DONE, reviewed, and reviewed once more before my recruiter even had to look at it. It minimized the work on his end, and made the process much more efficient. Establish a good working relationship too. I felt like I could call my recruiter anytime, and once the results started getting delayed, I did call him often enough to stay in the loop (but not be a pest). Don't act like you're entitled to anything, because your recruiter (the Air Force in general, actually) owes you nothing.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them from the applicant's point of view. I found the process extremely rewarding, even though the waiting at times was killer. Some folks on the AirForceOTS site are putting together an OTS Wiki page those thinking about applying and wanting to learn more about the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GO_BLUE thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread...you bring an outstanding perspective to it... you even teaching myself as I plan to apply for OTS once my recruiting gig is over.

Go_Blue

You're welcome, Bunch! Thank you for starting the thread. It'll be a great resource to those on the forum. How much time do you have left with recruiting? Best of luck to you man, I hope you make it (and that your board isn't as brutal as mine)!

I have to really hand it to my recruiter and his entire squadron. He had eight of the 72 civilian selects on that last board. I know my package was good, but I give that group a lot of credit. I have a lot of respect for the work you guys do, especially considering the amount of it and the fact that some applicants are more difficult than others.

Now I just get to enjoy the long wait for my class date, yay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you this has been informative.