Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: (DELETED OP)

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tips on how to improve your chance of becoming an Air Force Officer

I am already about halfway through the application process for the selection board. I am a civilian, I am 26 years old and have a BS in Business Administration and an AA in Business and Management. My GPA is 3.76 and my AFOQT scores are as follows:
    Pilot: 68
    Navigator: 69
    Academic Aptitude: 92
    Verbal: 94
    Quantitative: 81

I have more recommendation letters than necessary so my recruiter can help me pick out the 5 strongest. I have obtained letters from: An Army recruiter who has known me since I was 13 (vouching for my ability to be an officer in the armed forces), two AF TSgts who know me personally, a prior AF SSgt who knows me personally (all of whom can vouch for my ability to adapt to the military environment and lead others), my family's lawyer who has known me since I was a child- he is going to touch on volunteer work, church and community involvement and overall moral character, and two letters from prior supervisors who discussed my involvement in those positions and the leadership qualities I expressed.

Overall I think my chances are looking pretty great. However, my deadline is Sept 22 and my recruiter has next to ZERO contact with me. He is in Washington and I am in Alaska (there are no AF recruiters up here) so everything is done by email. I have completed all necessary documents and sent them in, but he has not told me when to sign and date all the documents, and has not given me a date for my Officer interview. I try not to press on him for information, but as we have about a month left, is it safe to be a bit more assertive with it? Anything else I can do to raise my chances of selection?

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know the needs of the Air Force change all the time but, generally speaking, how much do they need people with a bachelors degree in Computer Science? I'm also minoring in Information Security. I hear that Computer Engineering is in high demand and Computer Science is related yet different.

Unfortunately my school does not offer ROTC and I am already almost done with my second year so that may not be an option. I want to do everything I can to get a good chance of joining OTS. It would be great to join the Air Force as a developmental engineer after graduating. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sknewberries View Post
    I am already about halfway through the application process for the selection board. I am a civilian, I am 26 years old and have a BS in Business Administration and an AA in Business and Management. My GPA is 3.76 and my AFOQT scores are as follows:
    Pilot: 68
    Navigator: 69
    Academic Aptitude: 92
    Verbal: 94
    Quantitative: 81

I have more recommendation letters than necessary so my recruiter can help me pick out the 5 strongest. I have obtained letters from: An Army recruiter who has known me since I was 13 (vouching for my ability to be an officer in the armed forces), two AF TSgts who know me personally, a prior AF SSgt who knows me personally (all of whom can vouch for my ability to adapt to the military environment and lead others), my family's lawyer who has known me since I was a child- he is going to touch on volunteer work, church and community involvement and overall moral character, and two letters from prior supervisors who discussed my involvement in those positions and the leadership qualities I expressed.

Overall I think my chances are looking pretty great. However, my deadline is Sept 22 and my recruiter has next to ZERO contact with me. He is in Washington and I am in Alaska (there are no AF recruiters up here) so everything is done by email. I have completed all necessary documents and sent them in, but he has not told me when to sign and date all the documents, and has not given me a date for my Officer interview. I try not to press on him for information, but as we have about a month left, is it safe to be a bit more assertive with it? Anything else I can do to raise my chances of selection?
    One thing you have to remember is that this is your process. You need to be proactive and make sure that the recruiter is paying attention to your application. The main key in this process is communication, especially in a situation like yours.

Your AFOQT are at the top tier and so is your GPA. If you need to write an essay make sure you ask your recruiter for feedback about how to word it.

As far as your chances... I dont do OTS but it's becoming very competitive in all programs. So good luck!!
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jb123777 View Post
    I know the needs of the Air Force change all the time but, generally speaking, how much do they need people with a bachelors degree in Computer Science? I'm also minoring in Information Security. I hear that Computer Engineering is in high demand and Computer Science is related yet different.

Unfortunately my school does not offer ROTC and I am already almost done with my second year so that may not be an option. I want to do everything I can to get a good chance of joining OTS. It would be great to join the Air Force as a developmental engineer after graduating. Thanks for any information you can provide.
    If I was you I switch to Computer Eng, in a heart beat. Specialties from Cyber Command will be growing at a fast pace and they are expected to add many more personnel to their ranks. You dont need to have a AFROTC program to enroll in the program, you just need to find the nearest AFROTC and call them and inquire about joining their program as a "off campus" student.

Good luck!!
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm interested in applying to be an officer, but after reading this thread and doing some other research, I feel very discouraged.

I have a B.A. in Asian Cultures & Languages with a GPA of 3.1. I have little to no community involvement during and after university due to the fact that I worked a lot. In high school, I volunteered for over 800 hours and held several leadership roles in school and volunteer organizations, but I don't think it would be applicable anymore. I know I can work on this if needed.

One major concern that I can't control is my eyesight. Last time I had it checked (a few years ago), it was -9.5. Does this automatically disqualify me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I'm interested in applying to be an officer, but after reading this thread and doing some other research, I feel very discouraged.

I have a B.A. in Asian Cultures & Languages with a GPA of 3.1. I have little to no community involvement during and after university due to the fact that I worked a lot. In high school, I volunteered for over 800 hours and held several leadership roles in school and volunteer organizations, but I don't think it would be applicable anymore. I know I can work on this if needed.

One major concern that I can't control is my eyesight. Last time I had it checked (a few years ago), it was -9.5. Does this automatically disqualify me?
    As far as the AF goes it will be tough for you. Mainly because of your degree and GPA, unless you are fluent in Chinese-Mandarin or Korean and that could give you a shot not only in the DoD but any three letter fed agency. You can always apply to the OTS program and you can also apply to the enlisted program at the same time.

When it comes to medical I always leave that to the MEPS and the AF SG office since they are the ones who have the most up to date information regarding medical conditions that would DQ you from military service.

Good luck!!

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    As far as the AF goes it will be tough for you. Mainly because of your degree and GPA, unless you are fluent in Chinese-Mandarin or Korean and that could give you a shot not only in the DoD but any three letter fed agency. You can always apply to the OTS program and you can also apply to the enlisted program at the same time.

When it comes to medical I always leave that to the MEPS and the AF SG office since they are the ones who have the most up to date information regarding medical conditions that would DQ you from military service.

Good luck!!
    Thank you for the reply!

My concentration was in Mandarin Chinese. I don't think I am fluent by military standards though.

I read on the AF website that the max retraction is -8.0. However, I've been reading on here and another forum that people with vision worse than -8.0 DID receive waivers, but they were closer to -8.0 than I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To the title of the thread....three simple (yet expensive) words... "LEARN TO FLY"
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Thank you for the reply!

My concentration was in Mandarin Chinese. I don't think I am fluent by military standards though.

I read on the AF website that the max retraction is -8.0. However, I've been reading on here and another forum that people with vision worse than -8.0 DID receive waivers, but they were closer to -8.0 than I am.
    Weight and image is a huge issue in with AF Officers.
    I've tried for four years to reduce my BMI to meet the officer standards, but I just couldn't do it. AF Officers (apparently) are require to be a BMI of 30 or less...at the start of my OTS application four years ago, I was at a BMI of 35, and the last time I tried I was mesaured at 30.3 and that DQ'd me automatically (and its not waviable).
    Good luck on your adventure though and if you can't make it in the AF, don't let it discourage you. At the very least you tried, many people never try and live with the "What If" for the rest of their life. One thing though, if the AF won't take you, the Army will surely take you.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HeLlo all I am a current college student looking to become an Air Force officer (surprising I know) I was ineligible for ROTC because my wife is an enlisted member here at Shaw and I have a child. So as another option I joined Civil Air Patrol as a senior member to bolster my potential package and do some good in the community. I understand that having a child and an active duty spouse disqualifies me from active duty service but coincidentally months after I graduate her enlistment would be up (if she would like it to be.) Now my questions are as followed if she wishes to get out can I start the process of commissioning before she is officially out of the military? We would basically trade places but with a family you can see how this would be a risk and as a father I dont wish to put my family in a bad situation. I have wished to join the military for some time but between moving, school, and my son I have decided to go this route. Any suggestions or information would be great I know I can accomplish this goal but its always good to have peace of mind and information.