Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: (DELETED OP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tips on how to improve your chance of becoming an Air Force Officer

Pilot and Nav scores are completely irrelevant if you are not going for a rated slot so I wouldn't WORRY about them but I wouldn't just blow 'em off either. You want to have DECENT scores across the board-may not be relevant but if they see a single digit score-even pilot/nav...well what would YOU think about it if YOU were on the board. Believe it or not, they have done the research and it is actually you Quantative score that is the best predictor of successful completion of OTS (I think the cut line is 66 or 68). Get the best letters you can. Someone that KNOWS you is ALWAYS a better reference than someone that doesn't. For example, recent board, applicant had a letter from his neighbor and another had one from a retired O-9. The one from the O-9 started out with something like...I barely know applicant X but I know of him.... That letter was virtually worthless. No matter how impressive the signature block, they actually do care about the content. Also, make sure the damn things are signed.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Teeth. I had a hunch that the working knowledge aspect would carry more weight than rank. I just have to tactfully let my commander know of that aspect. I've also decided to take the AFOQT again, I don't think I really studied Pilot and Nav all that much the first time and still scored mid 60's. I've got to bring the quantative up while maintaining my AA and verbal. Thanks again for the insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HELP! i just got my afoqt scores with a 12 on quantitative and 15 on verbal, i am applying for soar, poc-erp and ascp. i have a 3.0 gap. what are my chances?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smith7173 View Post
    HELP! i just got my afoqt scores with a 12 on quantitative and 15 on verbal, i am applying for soar, poc-erp and ascp. i have a 3.0 gap. what are my chances?
    Realistically your chances are slim to none. Although you have the minimum scores on those 2 portions the average scores of those selected are in the 60's. You might want to retake the test again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a quick message for lurkers: If you sign up and automatically send me a PM I will be able to see your PM but wont be able to reply. Apparently it has to do with how many post you have so people can respond to your PM's so if you are a new member please post your question here if not I won't be able to respond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    Hi...I'm new to the boards here but I have been lurking for a while. The purpose of this thread is that I see a lot of people either curious, with questions or really wanting to become an officer in the Air Force. I also see many people giving information on it that I could catagorize as solid, good, incomplete and bad information.

As far as my background, I'm a EA and OTS recruiter and been dealing with applicants that come to my office basically with the same set of questions that I see on this and other boards. So I will write this thread to give at least an insight on what we look at as far as recruiting people for OTS.

To apply:
    -Got to be a US citizen
    -Must have a bachelors degree in something by an accredited institution.
    -Pass a medical evaluations at MEPS
    -Pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (minimum scores depend for what OTS program appplicant is applying)
    -Got to be 35 not older at the time comission is granted (except for special programs like doctors, RN'S)

Thats is just to apply. Many people are under the impression though that because they have a bachelors that they automatically are going to come is as officer. That is something that as recruiter I find very hard to do for an applicant unless the applicant has a degree in something that we really, really need. Example of that would be electrical engineer, enviromental engineer or computer engineer.

As many of you might know the Air Force grants their majority of their officer slots using two programs:
    1. Air Force Academy:https://admissions.usafa.edu/secure/...ligibility.htm
    2. ROTC:http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/application/apply/

Those are your best two options if you decide to become an officer. Getting to USAFA is a hard process and you got to be top notch, getting to the ROTC is not that hard but you still got to be top notch while in the program and pass the AFOQT.

So what it takes to becomes an Air Force officer from the outside looking in and didn't went to the USAFA or didn't join ROTC when in college? Like I said earlier you got to have a degree that is in high demand. In the OTS process we divide our process by board and there are three:
    1. Rated: for Pilots, Navigators, Air Battle Managers
    2. Technical:http://airforce.com/opportunities/of...ers/technical/
    3.Non technical: http://airforce.com/opportunities/of.../nontechnical/

Those boards are conducted according to the needs of the Air Force that are determined by Air Staff, the needs of yesterday are not particularly the needs of today nor they will be the needs of the future, so when trying to maximize your chances of coming into the Air Force as an Officer from the outside looking in you need to ask a recruiter for what the AIr Force is looking for. For some Technical degrees the board might be waived and they would evaluate applications as they arrive.

What are these boards and how do I get selected?

These boards are manned by Officers and they would grade individually each application using a point scale. If the point of your application meets the cut off then you are selected if not then you might resubmit you application, there is no max amount times for submitting an application but there is the age limit.

What do they look in the application?

The whole person concept, meaning GPA, AFOQT scores, Letter of Recomendations, communnity involvement, your participation in groups activities like sports or college organizations.

How long the process could take?

From 4 to 12 months depending again on the needs of the Air Force, OTS slots available and other factors.

I have seen this comment on this board and others a lot:
    "You have a bachelors dont let your recruiter tell you to go enlisted, you are supposed to be coming as an officer, if your recruiter tell you otherwise he is lying"

Recruiters have a duty to qualify applicant for the highest program that they qualify, meaning a person with a bachelors degree we have to qualify them first for OTS and then enlisted. But we also have to give applicants a dose of reality, that reality been that not because you have a bachelors degree we automatically going to roll out the red carpet and put butter bars on your shoulder, it is just not that easy and I'm going to explain you why with this scenario:

Applicant Snoopy just got into my office, he said he just read on the internet and some friends that he has in the Air Force that because he has a Bachelors Degree in Accounting he is qualified to become an officer and to please not even mention to him enlisted or his walking out the office. Upon prequalification Applicant Snoopy informs the Recruiter that he graduated with a outstanding 2.68 GPA, did not volunteer for anything, didnt participate in anything, dont know nobody that can write him at least 5 letter of recommendations.

Applicant Snoopy takes the EST and scores a 43. The recruiter is trying to explain to Aplicant Snoopy that he is not ready to take the AFOQT, that he should study a bit more because is a test you can only take twice in a lifetime, but Applicant Snoopy since he read on the internet and also his friends told him that he already qualified to be an officer he decides to take the test tomorrow thinking the test is just a formality.

Two weeks later Recruiter calls Applicant Snoopy and inform him that he score 16 in the verbal portion and 12 in the Quantitative portion of the AFOQT, (meaning minimally qualified).

The Recruiter ended with an applicant in a Non Technical carrer field (low demand), who has a minimum chance of being selected and although he might qualify for enlisted, he wont even consider the possibility because he thinks the recruiter is lying.

Bottom line if you need to be top notch the get to USAFA, to complete ROTC, you need to be more than TOP NOTCH if you are trying to become an Air Force Officer from the outside looking in(or have one of those technical degrees we looking for). And that could be resolve by taking some years as enlisted and then try to make the switch from within.

I'm open to questions if anyone has any...
    Hi, I saw that this was posted a while ago and my husband wants to join the Officers program. I'm currently in the AF DEP and my husband tried to join as an enlisted as well but since we have a 2 years old son, we needed a dependency waiver and the Air Force is not approving those for the enlisted program. My flight chief suggested to join as an officer. My husband is 27, has a Bacherlors degree in Business administration with a concentration in Accounting. His GPA 3.02. He works for a retail company and has been store manager for 4 years and before that he was assistant manager for 5 years. He can get very good recommendation letters but we don't know if that is enough. He haven't taken the AFOQT yet. He took the ASVAB and scored 88. When he was trying for the enlisted program he was very interested in a linguistic job and still is(i took the dlab and passed it and i know its probably a 50/50 chance for people to pass but im very confident that he can do it)What are his chances or if someone can give us some advice to improve them??? Thank you In advance.

Michaelb

I have a degree in landscape architecture and I want to know how the Air Force decide if that degree is worth anything. I want to get into OTS but I want to know how valuable my degree is to the Air Force. My degree deals with the health , safety and wellness of people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelb View Post
    I have a degree in landscape architecture and I want to know how the Air Force decide if that degree is worth anything. I want to get into OTS but I want to know how valuable my degree is to the Air Force. My degree deals with the health , safety and wellness of people.
    :spy Seems to me you would fit right in to 'today's AF'!

Michaelb

How do you know. Im worried they really don't understand what we do and think i just make things look pretty with plants and that's not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:spy For one thing,show them a design for a PT running track that is always going 'Downhill' with a ever constant 'tailwind',it will be a 'lifesaver'!