Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: (DELETED OP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tips on how to improve your chance of becoming an Air Force Officer

I've read through numerous threads regarding whether to enlist or try and apply for OTS. I understand it's competitive for OTS and have been discouraged to hear a friend with a technical background with avg GPA, decent AFOQT scores, and good recommendations was turned down. I'm just wondering what my chances are...

I graduated May '09 with a BS in Biology. GPA 2.7 and haven't taken AFOQT yet. I know I can get good recommendations/character references (but might be tough to get from a military source). I am 23 and am currently working at an entry level position at a management company. I stay in shape and stay active as far as physique goes. Compared to my friend i seem less "qualified"...I am just looking for what my career options in the AF or maybe another military branch may offfer...

Any feed back would be helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you looking to fly? If not, your officer options are simple;

Unless of course you are a Lawyer, Doctor, Nurse, Chaplain, or Civil Engineer... The Army used to be your "best" other option but even they have plenty of officers at this point.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Are you looking to fly? If not, your officer options are simple;

Unless of course you are a Lawyer, Doctor, Nurse, Chaplain, or Civil Engineer... The Army used to be your "best" other option but even they have plenty of officers at this point.
    ---------------------------------------------

Flying is definitely a possibility. I have 20/20 vision, 6' - 6' 1, 175 lbs. Not sure if ethnic background is an advantage or not for me, but I'm asian. Fluent in writing and speaking korean. US citizen.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    ---------------------------------------------

Flying is definitely a possibility. I have 20/20 vision, 6' - 6' 1, 175 lbs. Not sure if ethnic background is an advantage or not for me, but I'm asian. Fluent in writing and speaking korean. US citizen.
    You sound like a good candidate. My advice: get killer AFOQT scores by refreshing your math skills, and buying a pre-AFOQT study guide at a book store. A selection board panel member usually first looks at the scores, and if you wow them, they'll look deeper. I know this.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will want to ace the AFOQT and TBAS. Do you have flight time?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Go_Blue

Spend lots of time studying for the AFOQT, and researching which career fields you're interested in. Your low GPA barely qualifies you for rated boards, as the GPA minimum there is 2.5. If you want to apply for the non-rated board (if it happens), you will have to apply for a GPA waiver, as the minimum for non-rated is 3.0. You could qualify for a waiver by scoring at least a 150 combined on the Academic Aptitude, Verbal, and Quantitative sections on the AFOQT. That being said, though, things are super competitve in today's recruiting environment, and a waiver is probably going to be very difficult to come by.

Scores are nice, yes, but they are not THE thing that will get you selected. You need to be a very well qualified, well rounded applicant. Get the best letters of recommendation you can. They don't have to be from military sources, but they have to be from people who know you well and can attest to your character, work ethic, accomplisments, and potential.

You don't give us much information about you or your interests to go on, so a "what are my chances" scenario is sort of weak. Based on the little info I see, and knowing that non-rated will be a stretch regarding your qualifications, I would suggest going ABM or CSO. If you score off the charts on the AFOQT and TBAS, and have some flight time, then you might put yourself in an ok position to apply for pilot. But I would think your chances for ABM might be best, followed by CSO, depending on the needs of the AF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Sir, My name is Terrell Gunn and I am currently looking at what branches I would like to commission into. I am graduating from school in about 3 semesters. I attend SFSU and I currently have a 3.6 GPA Cummulitive in the honors program. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and I would like to know what are my chances of entering into the Air Force with those butter bars. Should i even bother going to the boards or according to what you said am I like applicant snoopy? I am also very much involved in the community. I am in the Civil Air Patrol, various clubs at school, I am also a licensed Baptist Minister. I am currently 19 years old. If I would be someone in your opinion that is not qualified could you give me some advice to become TOP NOTCH! My ultimate goal is to go into the OTS program after completion of college and enjoy a career in the airforce. While im moving up to captain I want to simeoutanously earn my M.Div degree and become an Air Force Chaplain. Your advice is much appreciated, thank you.
    -Terrell GUnn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Sir, My name is Terrell Gunn and I am currently looking at what branches I would like to commission into. I am graduating from school in about 3 semesters. I attend SFSU and I currently have a 3.6 GPA Cummulitive in the honors program. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and I would like to know what are my chances of entering into the Air Force with those butter bars. Should i even bother going to the boards or according to what you said am I like applicant snoopy? I am also very much involved in the community. I am in the Civil Air Patrol, various clubs at school, I am also a licensed Baptist Minister. I am currently 19 years old. If I would be someone in your opinion that is not qualified could you give me some advice to become TOP NOTCH! My ultimate goal is to go into the OTS program after completion of college and enjoy a career in the airforce. While im moving up to captain I want to simeoutanously earn my M.Div degree and become an Air Force Chaplain. Your advice is much appreciated, thank you.
    -Terrell GUnn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

-Terrell Gunn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some suggestions from a retired Air Force master sergeant and current CAP major.

Using a Civil Air Patrol grade as your username on a forum composed primarily of active/reserve/retired military is probably not the best move. Some will construe it as a "wannabe" attempt at best, and as impersonation at worst.

Since you're 19 and the minimum age to hold the grade of 2nd Lt or 1st Lt in CAP is 21, your lieutenancy is apparently in the cadet grades rather than as a senior member. If that is the case, why aren't you clearly indicating that you are in fact a cadet ("CADET GUNN or "C/LT GUNN") as is done in CAP? I suspect it was a mixture of enthusiasm and not thinking things through. Someone with a more negative outlook might say "this guy wants to be a chaplain and he's not being forthcoming about his status, hmm..." It's unfortunate, but you have to start thinking about appearances.

Active duty service (as a line officer or otherwise) would almost certainly see you deployed and pose other obstacles to obtaining an M.Div and ecclesiastical endorsement on your desired timeline. I suggest that you look at AFI 36-2005, specifically the provisions about the chaplain candidate program. You would complete your bachelor's degree on your own dime, then apply for a commission as 2nd Lt/chaplain candidate while you complete your M.Div.

Some additional friendly advice: Carefully proofread your posts. You're representing yourself, your ministry, CAP and the SFSU honors program and you aspire to be a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force. You don't represent yourself or those programs well when you misspell words (cumulative, simultaneously) and inappropriately capitalize them. It could cause doubt about your potential to achieve the lofty goals you have set. Pay attention to the little things. Give people reasons to help you along rather than to take you out of the running.

You might think I'm being harsh (or something less printable), but that's not the case. I wish you luck. If I didn't, I wouldn't have bothered to write this.

Bill