Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When did it become cool to brag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: When did it become cool to brag?

Quote Originally Posted by AFKILO7 View Post
    Kansas?! I'm sorry.
    Take a gander at his screen name, put that together with his location and his mention of a big Army population and you should get a clue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biddy1030 View Post
    When did it become cool to brag about being in the military? now im not saying its dumb to be proud of what you do as i am extremely proud but some people take it too far. For example, ive seen several cars leaving base with their AFSC badge on the back of their window and i even saw a car that said AEF4. Why the hell would you put that as your license plate? In case you forget? Personally, i like to keep a low profile that im in the military. I dont go around with huge AF stickers on my car, or even show my military ID if not needed, or wear my uniform when somewhere like target which i do see quite a bit. Maybe it is just me but i just dont feel it is neccessary to boast about being in the military.
    About the same time a lot of dumbasses started displaying every AFAM, AFCM, MSM writeup they ever got, all the stupid hardware from quarterly awards, coins (they bought), etc. in their offices. You can learn a lot about people from their offices. People who do things like I mentioned above aren't in it for the right reasons; they have been sucked in by swelled-head crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's been cool forever to some people. Movies made it that way. Before movies, newspapers. As long as their have been militaries there have been men bragging about it and women ooing and awing over it.

I did it as a young airman back home on leave. The chicks back home ate it up.

Now? I keep my hair just barely within regs so assholes don't ask me if I'm in the military and if they do I can so "No" and get away with it. I deny being in the military to damn near everyone I know and just say my job makes me travel a lot and the hours suck balls.
    "To erect a standing authority of military men might even overthrow the civil power." - John Winthrop
    "A standing army may be likened to a standing member, an excellent assurance of domestic tranquility, but a dangerous temptation to foreign adventure." -Elbridge Gerry, Constitutional Convention
    "A standing army can never be turned into a moral institution" - William Gladstone
    "I don't believe in stalemates. I don't think there is such a thing." - General Curtis LeMay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never bragged to anyone about being in. My family knows I serve, and they are proud...that's good enough for me.

Back in the day (90s) when it was mandatory for us to wear DCUs through civilian airports to/from the AOR, the attention actually made me feel uncomfortable. Not for my safety, but because I didn't want the attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well not until a change a few years ago, it was hard to hide you were in the military with that base access sticker on your car. And overseas, your license plate is a dead give-away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And bragged isn't the right word.

"Took pride in" is much better. I used to take pride in being the military. Now people are like "Are there any military personnel here tonight?" And I duck my head and glance around to make sure no one points a finger at me.
    "To erect a standing authority of military men might even overthrow the civil power." - John Winthrop
    "A standing army may be likened to a standing member, an excellent assurance of domestic tranquility, but a dangerous temptation to foreign adventure." -Elbridge Gerry, Constitutional Convention
    "A standing army can never be turned into a moral institution" - William Gladstone
    "I don't believe in stalemates. I don't think there is such a thing." - General Curtis LeMay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try wearing that uniform on a college campus from the late 60s to mid 80s. I heard a lot of snide and even hostile remarks on campus when I started ROTC in 1984. My instructors told me stories about driving to work in their civvies and changing into their uniform at their office because attitudes off base were pretty hostile. But by the time I graduated college, attitudes had changed considerably.

Yes, things have gotten pretty 'Hollywood', but it beats the way things used to be.

As far as Military ID vs Driver's License, I tended to use military ID since I had an out of state driver's license at most towns where I was stationed, and got less of a hassle. Even now, Lowe's will occasionally give me the military discount when they see my retiree ID.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The AIRFORCE Hollywood?!?!?! NEVER!!!!! We would never sell out for something like that... hell... they would probably just stick us in some movies as extras and kill us all off since thats there....oh wait.... FUCK... they got us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mi11er View Post
    The AIRFORCE Hollywood?!?!?! NEVER!!!!! We would never sell out for something like that... hell... they would probably just stick us in some movies as extras and kill us all off since thats there....oh wait.... FUCK... they got us.
    I hate Iron Man for that. They totally portrayed us as idiots.

Wait a minute.... never mind.... they hit the mark.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hollywood is a mixed bag in portraying us as cool or not. Stargate (the series) made us look kick @ss awesome, for example.

As far as the ID card, it depends on the location. In Guam, I'd show it all the time as it got me a discount at most places. When I'm at home on leave, if I'm arranging travel I show it (sometimes I've gotten free upgrades from it - I don't ask for them, they were given to me). I also show to TSA for a smoother trip through security. When I'm writing a check at the local Wal-Mart, I show my driver's license. So it depends on the situation. It's the same with clothing, really, I have a jacket with the AF symbol on it that I only wear in the US.

Since I'm overseas I virtually never show it on the local economy, nor do I stand out. I try to blend in with the locals in dress and what's on my car.

Pride can be a good thing or a bad thing based on the situation.
    Newton's First Law of Motion