Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Things About The Air Force

takthekak

Best Things About The Air Force

I was noticing how negative most of the forums area, and yes, I have added to some of the posts. BUT,
    I actually love things about the AF as well and I thought if someone was thinking of joining, they may want to get the full picture. So here's some of the best things I think the AF has:

30 days of leave starting from day 1 - what company will give you that?

I have three children and paid almost nothing for it and also Tricare is actually pretty good I think, I always get fast appointments and my family gets free medical care.

100% tuition assistance and a new really good GI Bill which can be transferred to dependents.

1 and 1 dorm rooms with kitchen - I once was in a crappy dorm at 21 years old, doubled up with a 28 year old A1C and we had like a 10x10 square to live it.

Great opportunities to travel, go TDY and deploy if that's your cup of tea.

Make great friends, sometimes for life.

What's some of the other good stuff out there?

Laxman

Re: Best Things About The Air Force

Employed. Camaraderie...for the most part. And TG its not the Army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The odds of you being addressed/treated like a person by someone senior in grade (e.g. NCO/ SNCO/O) are far better in the AF than, say, either the Army or the Marine Corps.

Better and more choice/atmosphere/food (for the most part) in AF Dining Halls (non-believers should try eating at an Army DFAC or N/MC Galley in garrison and compare)
    Something or other, of the Troll Cabal (Retired)

"You don't need to see my identification."
    "I'm not the Troll you're looking for."
    "I can go about my business."
    "Move along."

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."--Colin Powell

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Your_Name_Here View Post
    Better and more choice/atmosphere/food (for the most part) in AF Dining Halls (non-believers should try eating at an Army DFAC or N/MC Galley in garrison and compare)
    BS. I'm in the Navy, and the absolute shittiest atmosphere I have ever eaten at was the dining hall on Maxwell AFB.

I've never eaten at an Army DFAC, but I can say most of the ones in the Navy are comparable to the dining hall on Dover AFB (I'm actually from Dover).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    BS. I'm in the Navy, and the absolute shittiest atmosphere I have ever eaten at was the dining hall on Maxwell AFB.

I've never eaten at an Army DFAC, but I can say most of the ones in the Navy are comparable to the dining hall on Dover AFB (I'm actually from Dover).
    Good for you. I ate at Gitmo's galley, and it wasn't anything to write home about. Maxwell doesn't really count.

I'll stand by my experience; you can stand by yours.
    Something or other, of the Troll Cabal (Retired)

"You don't need to see my identification."
    "I'm not the Troll you're looking for."
    "I can go about my business."
    "Move along."

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."--Colin Powell

???

- Job security. You don't get a pink slip in the Air Force. Sure they "force shape" every decade or so, but if you are one of the unlucky ones who get let go its not out of the blue. And when force shaping isn't going on the only way you get let go is after some serious screwing up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The opportunity to see parts of the world I probably never would have seen had I not joined the USAF.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best things about the AF.

-Blues Monday--hey, it doesn't apply to me.
    -We get to blow shit up, indirectly of course.
    -I don't deploy to Iraq
    -Job security
    -Free medical, yes it sucks, but hey its free!
    -The pay ain't bad.
    -College is free for those that want it.
    -We send the officers to war.....ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that I'm going home......NOW....Have a good weekend all!
    L-D

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best things about being the Air Force... ...

In no particular order...

The 'civilian' perks of being in the military such as greater respect, retail discounts at various places, cheap auto tags, generally little to no utility deposits, etc.

A fairly significant portion of the "pay" is not taxable by any form of income tax.

Free education via tuition assistance and schools that pay for the books for military personnel.

The travel opportunities that arise, when they arise...

30 days of leave per year plus all the additional time off with holidays and family days.