Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    It would buy you more than a week or two, depending on your location. Here's why--you self report shortness of breath, medical concerns, etc., and the UFPM tells you to see your PCM. Chances are, you're going to wait a few days, if not a couple of weeks to secure an appointment with your PCM. Once you report shortness of breath/ches pains, etc., he or she will then refer you pulmonology and/or cardiology to work you up for asthma/heart disease, etc. You'll be referred, meaning you'll have to wait at least 2 weeks (on a good day) to see the specialist. Then, said specialist will want to do pulmonary function tests, stress tests, etc., on you, all of which will have to be scheduled at a later date. THEN it will take several days to interpret those results. THEN, you will follow up with said specialists go over results, THEN follow back up with PCM who is to officially tell you whether you can fit test. If you're stationed at a base with a large MTF, the process might be speeded up just a tad. I'd guess at a minimum, you can buy yourself a month of time. Integrity first.

  2. #22
    Senior Member CrustySMSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Air, Space, and Cyberspace
    Posts
    871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by usafvol1 View Post
    It would buy you more than a week or two, depending on your location. Here's why--you self report shortness of breath, medical concerns, etc., and the UFPM tells you to see your PCM. Chances are, you're going to wait a few days, if not a couple of weeks to secure an appointment with your PCM. Once you report shortness of breath/ches pains, etc., he or she will then refer you pulmonology and/or cardiology to work you up for asthma/heart disease, etc. You'll be referred, meaning you'll have to wait at least 2 weeks (on a good day) to see the specialist. Then, said specialist will want to do pulmonary function tests, stress tests, etc., on you, all of which will have to be scheduled at a later date. THEN it will take several days to interpret those results. THEN, you will follow up with said specialists go over results, THEN follow back up with PCM who is to officially tell you whether you can fit test. If you're stationed at a base with a large MTF, the process might be speeded up just a tad. I'd guess at a minimum, you can buy yourself a month of time. Integrity first.
    Great plan, but if you go overdue in the meantime, it'll still get you a referral EPR/OPR, unless you get an extension from the CC>
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

    Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.


    Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

  3. #23
    Senior Member CrustySMSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Air, Space, and Cyberspace
    Posts
    871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Great plan, but if you go overdue in the meantime, it'll still get you a referral EPR/OPR, unless you get an extension from the CC>
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewarrior (in negative feedback)

    wow, people like you is why airman are killing over on the track, afraid to go to the doctor.
    AirmEn are keeling over on the track because I am stating fact?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

    Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.


    Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

  4. #24
    Member jpeters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Yonder Way
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    AirmEn are keeling over on the track because I am stating fact?
    Airmen are killing over on the track because they would rather drink Monster Energy drinks or Red Bull instead of water or Gatorade. They would rather eat crap food and not take care of themselves for 5 months and try to get ready for a PT test a few weeks before they are scheduled to test by starving themselves or trying to sweat inches off their waste a day or two before they go in to get taped. I am a UFPM and see this crap month after month, so most of the time the Airmen are the problem.

  5. #25
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    Airmen are killing over on the track because they would rather drink Monster Energy drinks or Red Bull instead of water or Gatorade. They would rather eat crap food and not take care of themselves for 5 months and try to get ready for a PT test a few weeks before they are scheduled to test by starving themselves or trying to sweat inches off their waste a day or two before they go in to get taped. I am a UFPM and see this crap month after month, so most of the time the Airmen are the problem.
    Airmen are also keeling over because of PTLs like you who can't run a consistent program. Run one day, some bullshit trend of the week workout the next day, burpies, etc that have no impact on a test and aren't done constitently enough to actual help anyone improve. Every squadron program I've ever been involved in does nothing but keep me sore everyday because on, say, Monday we'll do a circuit. Great workout. The problem is that we won't do it again for another 3 weeks because now we have to try some sprint/walk/sprint/pushup workout which, by itself, is great, but we don't do it for another 2 months because the next time we're doing some bullshit squat/lunge/bear crawl/burpie day which, by itself, is great, but we don't do it for another....you get my point.

  6. #26
    Member jpeters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Yonder Way
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Airmen are also keeling over because of PTLs like you who can't run a consistent program. Run one day, some bullshit trend of the week workout the next day, burpies, etc that have no impact on a test and aren't done constitently enough to actual help anyone improve. Every squadron program I've ever been involved in does nothing but keep me sore everyday because on, say, Monday we'll do a circuit. Great workout. The problem is that we won't do it again for another 3 weeks because now we have to try some sprint/walk/sprint/pushup workout which, by itself, is great, but we don't do it for another 2 months because the next time we're doing some bullshit squat/lunge/bear crawl/burpie day which, by itself, is great, but we don't do it for another....you get my point.
    Totally get your point...but it also depends on your leadership. Example, previous base our Chief didn't like to run, so on days that we had anything to do with running he over-ruled the morning of PT and we did some of the useless stuff you mentioned above. But why should your squadron program be the only time you do PT? If you don't get what your looking for in the squadron program that helps you on your test do something extra on your own...or become a UFPM and change it.

  7. #27
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    Totally get your point...but it also depends on your leadership. Example, previous base our Chief didn't like to run, so on days that we had anything to do with running he over-ruled the morning of PT and we did some of the useless stuff you mentioned above. But why should your squadron program be the only time you do PT? If you don't get what your looking for in the squadron program that helps you on your test do something extra on your own...or become a UFPM and change it.
    If the mornign PT program isn't working and everyone KNOWS it isn't working, why are we doing it at all? Let me do my own thing and work on the things I need to work on. As far as becoming a UFPM and changing it, you gave the reason why that doesn't work. Because the Chief, or whoever, is likely to change it.

  8. #28
    Member jpeters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Yonder Way
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    If the mornign PT program isn't working and everyone KNOWS it isn't working, why are we doing it at all? Let me do my own thing and work on the things I need to work on. As far as becoming a UFPM and changing it, you gave the reason why that doesn't work. Because the Chief, or whoever, is likely to change it.
    I like the way you think! But it’s not always the PTL’s and UFPM’s fault if the programs are all jacked up or jump from random trend to random trend most of the time it's leadership pushing that stuff down. I also like and try to push for the just go do your own thing approach when I can, because when it comes down to it it’s on you if you pass or fail your test. But when people fail or something bad happens, like kill over at the track, it has to be someone else’s fault.

  9. #29
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    Airmen are killing over on the track because they would rather drink Monster Energy drinks or Red Bull instead of water or Gatorade. They would rather eat crap food and not take care of themselves for 5 months and try to get ready for a PT test a few weeks before they are scheduled to test by starving themselves or trying to sweat inches off their waste a day or two before they go in to get taped. I am a UFPM and see this crap month after month, so most of the time the Airmen are the problem.
    Bam!!!! What he said!!

    For the folks complaining about PTLs. I'm open for hire. Never was a PTL, our sq had them because we needed to. We exercised because it was our job. We know how to do it, we know how to do it without hurting folks. Our support folks would be out their with us. No we didnt expect them to knock out as many pull-ups, sit-ups or push-ups as us. We didnt expect them to run a 12 minute 2 mile. We did expect effort, we did expect professionalism. Nobody really complained. Except for us TACPs, but we complain about everything so it doesn't really matter.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why would anyone who knows they are going to fail the PT Test...take it

    As long as individuals get on a waiver then they are set. Those who just know that they are going to fail because they haven't been working out have no choice but to take one before their EPR close out date suspense. If they haven't passed their test by then without an approved extension then they will get a referral EPR and potentially not be able to re-enlist, lose a line number, etc. Depends on individual leadership.

Similar Threads

  1. Improving the PFA
    By BURAWSKI in forum PT & Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2014, 01:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •