Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us: Boots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tell Us: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by jason0926 View Post
    Not when the color of the boot is f*ing green. The carpet at work is not sage green. Therefore our boots will never blend in with our natural surroundings. There are at least some sand colored carpets. not sage green tho
    No offense Bro, but the ABU is almost as ridiculous as the ACU (Army Combat Abortion). Given the choice, I'd wear the Air Force uniform and not the Army hat and abortion uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we have so much money we do not know in what else to spend it, then sure why not spend it on changing boots every three years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I prefer the tan ones. Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.

I confess a limited patience for whining about the boots. You don't hear the docs downrange complaining about the stains they get on their boots, and those are much worse in terms of substance and removability than oil, etc. They just change boots before they leave the hospital so they don't freak out the entire base.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I prefer the tan ones. Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.

I confess a limited patience for whining about the boots. You don't hear the docs downrange complaining about the stains they get on their boots, and those are much worse in terms of substance and removability than oil, etc. They just change boots before they leave the hospital so they don't freak out the entire base.
    Never thought about the Doc part - funny!

FLAPS

Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.
    Having to change your boots when coming or going from work is a huge waste of time! But now that we've given folks who have messy jobs the option of wearing black boots (only at work) the uniform nazis will surely harass anybody they see on base with messy green or tan boots.

It's kind of funny that one of the biggest selling points with going to the ABU was the permanant press "wash and wear" feature. Now that the AF is switching to a lighter weight, non-permanant press uniform we will be back to square one. No, actually it will be worse. At least with BDUs folks didn't have to change boots just to do their jobs...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Having to change your boots when coming or going from work is a huge waste of time! But now that we've given folks who have messy jobs the option of wearing black boots (only at work) the uniform nazis will surely harass anybody they see on base with messy green or tan boots.
    It takes all of 5 minutes to change your boots (and that includes before and after work changing). It is no different than medical/dental changing into and out of scrubs, or vehicle mechanics changing in and out of overalls, or cops changing in and out of guard mount boots, which they all do today.

I'll grant you that it is a tradeoff between apperance and time, but other career fields spend much longer changing in and out of things - and have for years - without complaint. And, really, I'd think in the grand scheme of things that it would take less time to change boots than it would to polish the old black leather ones every night after you got engine oil, etc on them.

FLAPS

It takes all of 5 minutes to change your boots (and that includes before and after work changing). It is no different than medical/dental changing into and out of scrubs, or vehicle mechanics changing in and out of overalls, or cops changing in and out of guard mount boots, which they all do today.

I'll grant you that it is a tradeoff between apperance and time, but other career fields spend much longer changing in and out of things - and have for years - without complaint. And, really, I'd think in the grand scheme of things that it would take less time to change boots than it would to polish the old black leather ones every night after you got engine oil, etc on them.
    No, it's still a waste of time and is not as simple as five minutes per day. We are talking about changing footwear everytime our guys go to the chow hall, appointments, lunch, etc, etc. As for shining boots, the requirement has never been more than to keep them black...at least that's how I and my fellow maintainers have done it since entering the AF in '87.

AF 36-2903
    Table 2.2. Men’s Battle Dress Uniform.

Combat Boots: Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe
    with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional, smooth
    or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a high gloss
    or patent finish, optional.

Bottom line is things should be simpler, not harder...which is exactly what AFSO 21 is all about. Let's make it work for us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason0926 View Post
    Just curious---Why would you get green boots for a deployment? And last time I heard, they were no longer going to the green boots (not for posotive on that)
    Because that is what they stock at the LCI store on base. Green boots are part of the uniform so that's what you get. I didn't deply wearing DCU's, I deployed with ABU's. However, the army gives out tan boots as part of the RFI issue at CST to airmen filling ILO slots. Or at least they did a year ago when I was at CST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's kind of funny that one of the biggest selling points with going to the ABU was the permanant press "wash and wear" feature. Now that the AF is switching to a lighter weight, non-permanant press uniform we will be back to square one. No, actually it will be worse. At least with BDUs folks didn't have to change boots just to do their jobs...
    You are 100% correct. I wear the tan boots with my ABU's, I refuse to wear those green abortions. My tan boots look like shit and I'm beside myself waiting for a uniform Nazi to confront me about them...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, it's still a waste of time and is not as simple as five minutes per day. We are talking about changing footwear everytime our guys go to the chow hall, appointments, lunch, etc, etc. As for shining boots, the requirement has never been more than to keep them black...at least that's how I and my fellow maintainers have done it since entering the AF in '87.
    And how is this is any different than the medical/dental and vehicle mechanics, etc doing the same thing? The only difference is that they've done it for years and they're used to it. Now the flight line has to do the same and they're complaining - which causes the rest of us who have dealt with specialty uniform items for years to roll our eyes.

I agree that life should be simpler, but I don't think for the average troop switching back to black leather will be simpler. The basic requirement for black leather may be to keep it black, that's true. But in most career fields, if you want to go above and beyond (and get above a 3 on your EPR), those boots better have a shine to them. In the end, it will be a choice for the AF to go back to black leather and create more work for the majority of us who are better off in suede boots, or the maintainers will have to change when leaving the shop. If you're talking numbers alone I'd think the suede boots would be a winner, especially given their use by the other services (who also have mechanics, etc, like we do and somehow manage).

I admit that any item that is used by the entire AF is hard to standardize, especially when you're talking about work related items, since we do such a wide variety of things.