Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

MilitaryTimes.com Community Editor CommunityEditor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

Maj. Gen. Michael Oates, commander of the 10th Mountain Division, recently posted a question on his blog asking soldiers to sound off on the “stupidest” rules in the Army. And he got an earful from the troops.

We want to continue the discussion in Army Times.

Have you ever run across a rule that you thought was too silly to be real? Are some rules hopelessly out of date? It can be about anything: Discipline, uniform regs, whatever. We want to hear from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tell Us: Dumb Army rules

. PT in formation in a combat zone
    2. Formations in a combat zone
    3. Eyewear, Ear plugs, when mowing or weed eating really does anyone wear this crap when mowing a lawn at home????
    4. Reflective belts with a PT uniform period wasn't the thing touted to be "reflective when we bought it"
    5. Wearing a reflective belt with PT's at NOON in a war zone
    6. The "troop strap" on the backs of cargo trucks really have these things ever prevented a Soldier from being injured in a rollover, accident etc.
    7. Banning of social network sites in a combat zone, then the Army come up with it's own myspace, facebook etc page
    8. Barracks inspections (you don't do housing inspections do you, turn the barracks over to POST housing and if a problem let THEM inspect)
    9. Giving Single Females who get pregnant military housing (aren't these the type of "irresponsible" people you would want in the barracks in order to keep an eye on)
    10. Keeping the injured, infirm, non deployable on the "books" in order to increase numbers of the unit, even though these folks cannot perform the mission.
    11. Keeping the above IN THE MILITARY instead of medboarding them out
    12. Not talking on a cell phone when driving (yet you can talk on any military communication gear while doing the same)
    13. Keeping troops at work when you obviously must come up with work for them to do to justify having them there to begin with (ie yard detail, area beautification etc hire some damned landscapers already lord knows we waste enough money on everything else)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For glaring examples of the stupid Army rules listed below see the Army Medical Dept.

1. Spending thousands of dollars to teach a Soldier to do a job in AIT, then spending thousands MORE to hire a civilian to do the same job while the Soldier works in the motor pool doing inventory, maintainence checks etc.

2. Locking down a deploying unit 2 years before they deploy to "build the team" then having 85% of said team you deploy with show up two weeks before you deploy (See PROFIS SYSTEM)

3. Coming to a 3rd world area and then wanting such an area to meet "American Standards" of healthcare
    (hello if they met our standards we probably wouldn't need to be there to begin with now would we)

4. Training a Soldier to perform a certain skill set (ie 68W) then NOT allowing that Soldier to perform that skillset simply due to a change in location (oh you can do this, this and this on a battlefield but not in one of our hospitals)

5. Allowing those who have never deployed to a 3rd world nation to determine the standards of care such nation has to meet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heh. There's 'dumb' and then there's 'Army dumb'.

"Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a rule but still something the Army does;

They didn't see Pearl Harbor coming
    Didn't see North Korea invading the South
    Didn't see the Chinese entering the Korean conflict
    Didn't see the Berlin Wall going up nor coming down
    Missed the collapse of the Soviet Union and it's satellite states
    Missed Iraq invading Kuwait
    Missed 9/11

Yet we continue to rely on "military and our intelligence sources" having failed each time to warn of the events leading us into nearly every conflict fought over the last 100 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Missed the Iraq insurgency.
    Missed the U2 Fiasco.
    Missed bay of pigs.
    Still missing bin laden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Missed the All-You-Can-Eat Lunch Buffet at Shecky's Chicken Shack!

"Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Ronald45 and all the others, your are great! Even though I don't agree with some of the gripes, I agree with most. I hope the Generals read that stuff. But then, they were in the Army themselves as LTs and should know about all that. Did they close their career eyes? I have been retired for many moons but when I was active I complained about some of the 'rules' above to higher myself. EX: One day we were given a bunch of so called 'Frag Ammo' for our COAX on the M60. The Bn CDR told me: 'Fire it all up, I don't want to see the stuff again'. But the problem was that the Frag Ammo didn't charge the COAX sufficiently to fire bursts. So, my Company (15 Tanks+) was sitting out there in the boondocks hand charging COAXs for single shots. I called Bn6 on the radio and told him about the dilemma. He didn't care. At midnight I finally protested for wasted training, and after much googledibub with his higher, Bn6 finally gave in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The one i hate the most is:

NO HANDS IN THE POCKETS.

yet i see time after time the same NCO's enforcing the rules not obeying the same rule. and then when i call them out on it, they say i need to stay in my lane, and i cannot correct them. what happen to "on the spot corrections know no rank?" what kind of example is that. Im an NCO and i have never once told any Soldier to take thier hands out of thier pockets, because i like puting my hands in my pockets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another of my favorites, you can't walk (and insert 2nd thing here talk on a cellphone, eat, smoke, drink, pat your head and rub your belly etc here). Maybe some of the ahem "lower intelligence quotient MOSes" may not be able to do two things at one time but most of us who have made rank are superb at "multitasking" we do it every damned day as part of the job.

So to tell me, an Army LVN used to starting IV's, charting, performing CPR, taking vital signs, monitoring the heart rate and other diagnostic equipment, breathing patterns while injecting drugs, and running a full code that I am somehow incapable of talking on a cell phone and walking at the same time is the height of stupidity. To tell an 18 year old Private who is used to video games, talking on a cell, driving and texting, watching tv and doing homework etc they cannot do two things at once is also stupid. Now for some of the less brain equiped Soldiers out there (those like they let in now) then yeah you might not want them doing two things at once and remember for some of them BREATHING counts as one thing already.