Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tell Us: Dumb Army rules

As a medical person another stupid rule placing the persons blood type on the helmet band, velcro or any other place than the dog tag. Here's the deal, most medics do not carry blood on them in a combat environment the best they can do is use hetastarch or hextend or another IV fluid, this means usually that other than an autologous transfer of blood (meaning buddy to buddy done RARELY) that the first blood products given will usually be at an AID Station, here they will give more than likely O- the universal donor. In a hospital the person will be given O- if they need it fast, otherwise an blood test will be done to determine type, RH factor, compatible antibodies etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1. Kevlar required to drive/ride in all tactical vehicles yet soldiers drive POVs all day everyday w/no adverse action from not wearing Kevlar.

2. NCO required to be in vehicle w/soldier every time tactical vehicle moves yet soldier drives POV alone or with peers daily. So NCO is susposed to spend all day TCing soldier as he/she goes about her duties of running errands then at 1700 report back to office to complete NCO duties?

2. If a soldier receives extra duty, first line supervisor required to "monitor" soldier while duty is being completed from 1800-2400. Why would anyone in their right mind recommend a soldier for UCMJ action knowing full well THEY will in essence be "punished" right along with said soldier?

3. Saluting-I fully understand the history behind saluting but honestly feel in this day and age there is absolutely NO respect in it, it is pretty much and unconscious act and 7/10 times the officer won't even salute back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Re: Tell Us: Dumb Army rules

Quote Originally Posted by FatCat40 View Post
    1. ...

2. ...

2. ...

3. Saluting-I fully understand the history behind saluting but honestly feel in this day and age there is absolutely NO respect in it, it is pretty much and unconscious act and 7/10 times the officer won't even salute back.
    The act of saluting is in itself an act of respect to the individual RANK, not necessarily the individual him/herself. Commissioned and Warrant Officers are AS OBLIGATED to return a salute, as the junior member is in rendering one--no ifs, ands or buts about it.
    OK I lied; it does depend on where you are. If in a designated "No Salute" area or perhaps in a tactical environment you may not be required to salute. Do check with your chain prior to not rendering though.
    Something or other, of the Troll Cabal (Retired)

"You don't need to see my identification."
    "I'm not the Troll you're looking for."
    "I can go about my business."
    "Move along."

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."--Colin Powell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

Ok not a rule per se, but more of a military policy? First a little history lesson:

Haiti
    Somalia
    Yugoslavia

I'm sure there are others that escape me for now, what do they have in common? They are all places where America has tried to "nation build" and has FAILED MISERABLY. Yet here we go again trying to use the same old failed policy of "nation building" in Iraq and Afghanistan. The prevailing thinking in both places seem to be "we were just fine the 5000 or so years our civilization was here before you, we did not ask to be remade into little America. So if you want us to be a micro democracy then it will be YOUR (IE USA) responsibility to get us that way, not ours. Meaning we will not aid you in any way shape or form. If your successful so be it, just realize you won't get any help from us."

So after 30 years of nation building and yet failing to build one nation where we have tried this assinine policy can we put this dead horse in the ground already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Placing the drip pan and chock blocks under any tactical vehicle when parked, yet when you PMCS the things aren't the emergency brakes included? So really why the chock blocks, in addition why do we place the drip pan when we park right next to a civilian NTV with no drip pan whatsoever and leaking like a sieve. If the vehicle is leaking FIX IT before it gets driven, if the parking brake doesn't work tighten it. No need for these silly items.

"Weeding" the motor pools, really what damned purpose does this serve? Our vehicles are engineered to drive over ied's today but yet a piece of grass growing out of a crack in the blacktop of the motor pool is going to somehow cause catastrophic damage to the vehicle???

Online courses that are mandatory, enough of these damned things already almost as bad as the power point presentations. Really if a class is so important that it is mandatory then wouldn't it be prudent to make sure there is an ACTUAL instructor making sure we get the information and not just hitting the return key to take whatever test at the end of the course (that incidently you can TAKE TIME AND TIME AGAIN UNTIL YOU PASS) to print that all important certificate? What gives before you make Colonel now it is mandatory that you come up with some other assinine class (POV safety, dangers of drunk driving, hazards of smoking, motorcycle safety, SUICIDE classes that actually make you think about doing so just to get out of the class) to make Soldiers take? Again stop with these things already we really have better things to do with our time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if this is a rule or not, but telling lower enlisted soldiers to watch their muzzle awareness, while officers wear shoulder holsters that point their pistol directly at the person behind the officer is one of the most hypocritical things I remember while in Afghanistan.

I think the Army's facial hair policy is ridiculous. I'm sure someone will follow me with a reason why we have it (gas masks fitting, IIRC, was the reason I was told we had to do it), but after seeing members of the other NATO countries we worked with overseas (Germans & Polish come to mind) with facial hair, I don't see how well-groomed facial hair is unprofessional.

For that matter, this unwritten rule about heads basically having to be shaved is ridiculous. Read the regs on grooming standards and get back to me and tell me that my haircut is not to standard. People who try to criticize me on the regs, without knowing the regs, is what really grinds my gears. This also applies to the way you can wear parts of your PT uniform with civilian clothes if you're off-post and if you have your commanders permission (I was). I had so many ROTC nazis try to call me out on that. I even had a Major try to tell me I was out of uniform (while at a bar, him in class A's, me wearing my winter PT jacket). Ridiculous.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    — Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania (1759)

If you do not encounter anything that offends you. . . then, you do not live
    in a free society.
    — A. Kim Campbell

“Truth has a liberal bias.”
    —Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by hawk71049 View Post
    Yeah, I have a good one for ya. Hire a desk jockey contractor… give them access to the internet. Watch to see how long it is before they are online all day~ both internet n forums… If that’s not enough, they post under two different screen names, when it gets real boring they either a) keep the pot stirred b) talk to themselves… enough to make ya say hmmmm… our tax dollars at work, all right….

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?
    The Analytical Menace of the Troll Cabal

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Your argument doesn't even make no sense...it makes negative sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First thing to remember is "Common Sense is not an Army Value." Keeping that in mind.

1. Helmets in tactical vehicles, tactical being defined as woodland or sand painted. Half the vehicles that
    88M's operate are commercial vehicles painted camo.

2. You must be an E-5 or higher to own a weapon in housing. So a 20 YO E-5 can own a handgun, but the 26 YO SPC can't.

3. Having civilians training troops in AIT because troops are needed overseas. Why not take the non-deployable soldiers and put them into the schoolhouse or bring in IRR/Retirees.

4. Have a soldier who scores 300+ on his APFT then kick him out for being overweight.

I am sure there are many I missed but these are the ones that upset me the most.

tankgunner

Well, The Army Right Now Is So Hurting For Soldiers That Just About Anyone Can Wear The Uniform. After Reading The Army Times I Couldn't Agree More On All The Stupid Rules We Face In The Service Today. Soldiers Who Join The Service And When They Reach The Unit We All Find Out About Some Of Their Issues, For Example We Have This 44 Yr Old Soldier Who Couldn't Make E5 In The Navy So He Joined The Army. He Has A Severe Case Of Ocd ( Obssesive Compulsive Disorder) ; Everything He Touches He Sprays With Lysol Or Disinfectant For Fear Of Contamination. He Made The Rank Of Sgt Due To The Re-integration List. In Other Words Since He Couldn't Make Rank On His Own Now The Army Promoted Him Without Even Attending The Promotion Board. The Soldier Misplaced His Weapon At Least 3 Times And Nothing Was Done. To All This I Say Get Rid Of Garbage Like This Before Someone Gets Hurt. These Kind Of People Cannot Be Trusted In Today's Army And Specially With The Combat Operations We Face In Iraq And Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner View Post
    Well, The Army Right Now Is So Hurting For Soldiers That Just About Anyone Can Wear The Uniform. After Reading The Army Times I Couldn't Agree More On All The Stupid Rules We Face In The Service Today. Soldiers Who Join The Service And When They Reach The Unit We All Find Out About Some Of Their Issues, For Example We Have This 44 Yr Old Soldier Who Couldn't Make E5 In The Navy So He Joined The Army. He Has A Severe Case Of Ocd ( Obssesive Compulsive Disorder) ; Everything He Touches He Sprays With Lysol Or Disinfectant For Fear Of Contamination. He Made The Rank Of Sgt Due To The Re-integration List. In Other Words Since He Couldn't Make Rank On His Own Now The Army Promoted Him Without Even Attending The Promotion Board. The Soldier Misplaced His Weapon At Least 3 Times And Nothing Was Done. To All This I Say Get Rid Of Garbage Like This Before Someone Gets Hurt. These Kind Of People Cannot Be Trusted In Today's Army And Specially With The Combat Operations We Face In Iraq And Afghanistan.
    Hmm...awful lot of you recruits posting in this one thread. You wouldn't all happen to be the same person, perchance?

Regardless, you raise an interesting point. I believe they call Soldiers like the one you just described...UXOs. Think about it.
    The Analytical Menace of the Troll Cabal

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Your argument doesn't even make no sense...it makes negative sense.