Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Tell Us: Stupid Army rules

Quote Originally Posted by standstillplease View Post
    Stupid Rules.

2. Having to carry a card around with the “7 Army Values” on it. Apparently, when faced with a tough situation, we’re supposed to take out our 7 Army Values card and be reminded of how we’re supposed to act.

3. Having to wear a “7 Army Values” tag on your dog tags. For those times when you accidentally forget to carry your 7 Army Values card.

4. Having to carry a standards handbook. If your soldiers don't know the standard inform them of such.
    Wow, that does sound pretty stupid.
    5. POV inspections. You get your vehicle inspected yearly like normal people, but then you also must have your supervisor do an additional inspection every time there is a long weekend or holiday coming up.
    Like most people know what to look for anyway, as many automotive illiterate people I meet in the military.... this sounds like a total waste of time.

9. “Train as You Fight”. This is another slogan that the Army uses to try to explain why they do some the asinine things they do.
    Fight as you train makes more sense.
    10. Mass punishment. One guy in a company of 200 does something wrong, so do you punish him? Noooo, you punish all 200 of them. What a great idea! That’ll teach him a lesson!
    Yeah, this was a good idea back in the day when hazing and 'unofficial' punishment was more or less ignored or unofficially authorized. It made sense once upon a time to punish a whole unit for one guys fuck up, because they knew that those other 200 guys would probably blanket party the poor bastard and he'd NEVER do that ever again.... now all it does is piss everyone off at their leadership and not the guy that screwed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid rules in the Army? Damn, where to start. I love the Army dearly, but hot damn, can we make some stupid rules.

I'll start with my biggest beef: cell phones. I was among the last to enjoy a cell free Army(in the mid-90's). If a Soldier was released for the weekend then, well damn, they were released. The friday safety brief was the end of your week. You had two glorious days to forget the Army. I HATE, DESPISE, how most CoC's act like they pay your cell phone bill, and pretend that you are required to answer it. Every safety brief I hear "Keep your phone on!". Fuck off, just out of spite, I don't. I pay about $130 a month for my 'family plan'. I will answer it when I feel like it. Start paying my bill, and I'll be at your beck and call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another one: reflective belts. Wasn't a major reason we got rid of our old, more comfortable, PT uniform because the new one was already reflective? Why don't they just make the whole PT uniform out of the reflective belt material. Never mind, I don't want to give them ideas.

Someone else mentioned the ever growing mountain of paperwork that goes with your leave request. What a total waste of time(and trees). I flew out of Germany three times for leave. Each time I needed a POV inspection(to fly), and had to complete some online crap that asked me how far I was driving(zero miles), did I plan on drinking before I drove( of course, you caught me), and did I plan on sleeping the night before(WELL, I was planning on a 48 hour crystal meth/whiskey binger...). Mostly that makes me laugh... until I think about some O-6 getting ready to pin on a star for suggesting that nonsense.

As far as the mass punishment thing goes, half of the rules in the military are the result of a the scre-up of a few people. If you need proof, look at TRADOC regs, or the fratinization rules (officers with enlisted, or NCO's and lower enlisted). Some of us remember a time when those rules were not there.

Just look at half of the rules that we have. Think, "where did this rule come from?" If you answer honestly, you will probably come to the conclusion that SOMEBODY screwed up. So they made a new rule. If I remember correctly, there are already regs that cover the nonspecifics under unsoldierly or not acting as an NCO or an officer is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    You had two glorious days to forget the Army. I HATE, DESPISE, how most CoC's act like they pay your cell phone bill, and pretend that you are required to answer it. Every safety brief I hear "Keep your phone on!". Fuck off, just out of spite, I don't. I pay about $130 a month for my 'family plan'. I will answer it when I feel like it. Start paying my bill, and I'll be at your beck and call.
    I went through a big issue with this for a while, I lost my cell phone charger for a bit. The seniors were harassing me when I would get a new one. I was enjoying not having them, or anybody call me on that electronic leash. They actually called another NCO's phone who was with me to ask when I would get a new charger.
    I told them, "I might get one on payday."
    "You need to get one NOW! Tonight!"
    "Why?" I asked.
    "We have to have a way to contact you."
    Then I asked, "Why don't you just call my home phone number? It's on the alert roster."
    There was a long pause. Then I heard "Oh. I didn't think of that."

This is a bigger issue. The Army, and the military as a whole has come to rely on it's members buying their own devices to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IDENTITY1975 View Post
    I went through a big issue with this for a while, I lost my cell phone charger for a bit. The seniors were harassing me when I would get a new one. I was enjoying not having them, or anybody call me on that electronic leash. They actually called another NCO's phone who was with me to ask when I would get a new charger.
    I told them, "I might get one on payday."
    "You need to get one NOW! Tonight!"
    "Why?" I asked.
    "We have to have a way to contact you."
    Then I asked, "Why don't you just call my home phone number? It's on the alert roster."
    There was a long pause. Then I heard "Oh. I didn't think of that."

This is a bigger issue. The Army, and the military as a whole has come to rely on it's members buying their own devices to work.
    There was a time when the Army had a way to get in touch with you it was called a POST WIDE PA SYSTEM (you know the same one they play Reveille and Retreat on). Then we stopped making Soldiers live in the barracks, went from a single to a 75% married Army, and made people live off post instead of building more housing on Post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=highplainsdrifter;248134]Another one: reflective belts. Wasn't a major reason we got rid of our old, more comfortable, PT uniform because the new one was already reflective? Why don't they just make the whole PT uniform out of the reflective belt material. Never mind, I don't want to give them ideas.QUOTE]

There was another time when we held the person driving the vehicle and the TC SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for not paying attention and hitting some pedestrian, not the pedestrian who was hit for not wearing a stupid reflective strip

Quote Originally Posted by standstillplease
    1.Green Socks
    Actually, you can wear green, brown, tan, or black socks. Just not white ones. This isn't a big issue.
    2. Having to carry a card around with the “7 Army Values” on it. Apparently, when faced with a tough situation, we’re supposed to take out our 7 Army Values card and be reminded of how we’re supposed to act.

3. Having to wear a “7 Army Values” tag on your dog tags. For those times when you accidentally forget to carry your 7 Army Values card.
    This reminds me of the mandatory online training. Nothing's more stupid than the Army giving you a thousand pointless cards to mindlessly fatten your wallet. Sexual Assault Prevention card, Suicide Prevention card, Army Values card, etc. It's just too many. It's the dumbest crap the Army has thought of.
    4. Having to carry a standards handbook. If your soldiers don't know the standard inform them of such.
    There's a difference between Army wide rules and unit rules. This sounds like a unit rule... My unit doesn't do this.
    5. POV inspections. You get your vehicle inspected yearly like normal people, but then you also must have your supervisor do an additional inspection every time there is a long weekend or holiday coming up.
    The point of a POV inspection is pretty much a PMCS of a civilian vehicles. This isn't a bad idea, used in moderation of course. Once you have soldiers, you have no idea how many times a Soldier is running around with expired insurance, expired tags, registration, etc. This, in moderation, keeps the Soldiers safe... not from accidents and crahses, but from worse -- pointless tickets and being harassed by cops. .

6. The mandatory flu shot.
    Pointless to point out -- people would pay good money to have a that flu shot, and we get it for free. You don't know how good we have it.
    Peace activists are only half-correct... Violence is not the answer -- it's the question. The answer's "yes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we all know how alot of people feel about the beret, it sucks! well here on Fort Lewis the post CG or CSM, i forget which one, has made it mandatory that we were the stupid beret everywhere on post. No PC's anywhere except the motor pool. which in itself isnt that big of a deal, what is stupid is that for quite some time there was a detail of PSG's, 1SG's, and BLN CSM's out on beret patrol in front of the commisary, px, shoppettes, and mini mall. Every soldier that was caught wearing thier PC had thier name and unit taken down and then compiled onto a list. That list went up to the CG and then that Soldier's unit was contacted, then the Soldier was couseled and then the Soldier, as well as his SLDR and PSG had to go do the stupid beret patrol.

it was so stupid that I got yelled at by a 1SG for not wearing the beret while pumping gas!! it wasnt like i walked to the shopette to pay for the gas. i stayed under the gas covering and used my card to pay at the pump!

Gen Jacoby and CSM Prosser, if youre reading this- Please stop this non-sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh yeah... Fort Lewis

not being allowed to play sports for morning pt. even in the gym, the raquetball courts, basketball and tennis courts are all closed. but you can lift weights in the gym.

Now how is it that lifting weights is considered pt but playing a sport is not? Sports is great cardio and endurance. Especially because of all the sprinting! If sports is not PT then lifting weigts and weight training IS NOT PT!!

once again GEN. Jacoby and CSM Prosser if youre reading this- Please stop the non-sense. This is beyond making sense.