Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this BAH fraud?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is this BAH fraud?

Single E6 has 2 children. Gets BAH at the w/dependant rate but both kids live fulltime w/non military custodial parent. Service member pays no child support at all. Situation has been going on for 5 yrs. IMO this is dishonest at best and fraud at worst. The kids seldom even visit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is this BAH fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by FatCat40 View Post
    Single E6 has 2 children. Gets BAH at the w/dependant rate but both kids live fulltime w/non military custodial parent. Service member pays no child support at all. Situation has been going on for 5 yrs. IMO this is dishonest at best and fraud at worst. The kids seldom even visit.
    Report it.
    The current special guest sig:
    "I believe that I asked for information and not an opinion."
    usafmailmover, 11-4-12, 09:41 AM.

Cabal Director of Rail Transportation Accounts Payable ‹(•¿•)›

Pro Deo Et Patria :usa2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds wrong to me (given the presented info)
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are the kids legally supposed to be with the mil member? If they dont pay child support, have they given up rights to the child? If so, then they dont have dependents and shouldnt get BAH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Proof? Seriously, butt outta people lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Proof? Seriously, butt outta people lives.
    Exactly...allowing potential fraud to go unreported is so much more noble.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Actually this is not fraud at all.

The member is entitled to BAH with dependent rate. He has dependents. How often he visits his children and how much he pays in child support...has nothing to do with it.

Unless he is not meeting his court-ordered child support, there is no issue here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

The member is entitled to BAH with dependent rate. He has dependents. How often he visits his children and how much he pays in child support...has nothing to do with it.

Unless he is not meeting his court-ordered child support, there is no issue here.
    Perhaps the issue then is if they qualify to be listed as his dependents.
    He who is remembered, is immortal. But he who is forgotton, never lived.
    We are the beasts, the bastards, the terrors in the night. And we're all that stand between you and what you fear most.
    Shaman Arbites of the Troll Cabal
    I voted for Shrike and all I got was this stupid Ambassadorship!
    Shrike's Czar of the War on Flat-Chestedness

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
    Perhaps the issue then is if they qualify to be listed as his dependents.
    They are his children. No doubt they are entered in DEERS and have ID cards.

For example, I have a 20 year old daughter...she is on her own, I no longer support her...she is still a dependent until age 23 I believe.

Although she isn't my sole dependent, so I don't nec. get BAH for her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

Unless I'm reading the reg wrong, I think you're wrong:

http://www.defenselink.mil/comptroll...rch/07A26j.pdf

260406. Support of Dependents
    A. Proof of Support. The statutory purpose of BAH on behalf of a dependent is
    to at least partially reimburse members for the expense of providing private quarters for their
    dependents when government quarters are not furnished. The entitlement is not to pay BAH on behalf
    of a dependent as a bonus merely due to the technical status of being married or a parent
    . Proof of
    support of a lawful spouse or unmarried, minor, legitimate child of a member generally is not required.
    When evidence (e.g., special investigation reports; record reviews; fraud, waste and abuse complaints;
    sworn testimony of individuals; statement by member) or complaints from dependents of nonsupport or
    inadequate support of dependents are received, however, proof of adequate support as stated in
    subparagraph 260406.E shall be required.
    According to this the member SHALL pay support as a requisite to receiving with dependant rate, even in the absence of a court order
    E. Adequate Support. If the support requirements are not established by court
    order or legal separation agreement, a member shall provide support in an amount that is not less than
    the difference between the “with-” and “without-” dependent BAH-II rates applicable to the member’s
    grade. The amount of support required to retain or receive BAH on behalf of a dependent does not
    necessarily mean that such amount is adequate to meet the policy of the Service concerned as to what
    constitutes adequate support in the absence of a legal separation agreement or court order.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal