Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality & Morality - Conflict of Terms!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Homosexuality & Morality - Conflict of Terms!?

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Just Google it.

Here's one to get you started.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art39699.html
    It is a good story but do you know one? I mean go to church with or live next door to? Someone that is not just a picture on the web.
    Texas Has The Death Penalty - We Use It!:biggrin

Last Year They Introduced Legislation That Would Expedite The Appeals Process If There Were 3 or More Witnesses To The Crime

While Other States Are fighting To Keep The Death Penalty Out
    Texas Is Putting In An EXPRESS LANE!!
    Ron White:rockon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ringjamesa View Post
    Why is this here when there is a whole section on DADT?
    If you dont want to discuss it there are all kinds of threads you can participate in. I do see it directly related just more in my area than the moral one sorry if you dont agree.

Last Year They Introduced Legislation That Would Expedite The Appeals Process If There Were 3 or More Witnesses To The Crime

CVal

Quote Originally Posted by mel44 View Post
    Have you got one?
    I have friends at work who are in long-term, homosexual monogamous relationships.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mel44 View Post
    It is a good story but do you know one? I mean go to church with or live next door to? Someone that is not just a picture on the web.
    OH..okay, I thought you meant do i know a story. (as if you know the Portland mayor?)

A good friend of mine from HS is gay and in a long term committed relationship. I last spoke to him about 2 years ago.

He has a Master's Degree in Business...and now runs a children's camp in Europe. Honestly though, I don't personally know a lot of gays...since, hey, I'm overseas, most of the people I meet are military...and they can't be openly gay anyway.

What about your neighbors? Weren't they a stable, accomplished gay couple?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    OH..okay, I thought you meant do i know a story. (as if you know the Portland mayor?)

A good friend of mine from HS is gay and in a long term committed relationship. I last spoke to him about 2 years ago.

He has a Master's Degree in Business...and now runs a children's camp in Europe. Honestly though, I don't personally know a lot of gays...since, hey, I'm overseas, most of the people I meet are military...and they can't be openly gay anyway.

What about your neighbors? Weren't they a stable, accomplished gay couple?
    Yep they are. they are young though. I personally don't know any long term successful couples to make an evaluation from. thats why I asked. I am always open to new data. I don't know this guy but the facts are there. I can't ever find anyone that is long term but you can't really use the super stars because their relationships are usually short anyways.

I am not sure what I believe in that arena simply because I have never met any nor treated any. My stance remains it is a dysfunction. Many people live and maintain a lifestyle in dysfunction. Many people use drugs and abuse alcohol and maintain a normal lifestyle so I believe it is possible. My concern is for those that don't. The DADT keeps this to a minimum. The ones that function well have no need to bring sex into the workplace. They have no need to care what people on the job think or do. So why repeal it?

I can't post anymore right now on this thread but I did enjoy debating with you

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mel44,

I am a bit concerned that as a self-proclaimed mental health professional you would equate homosexuality with pedophilia. I believe that as a whole, the medical community has rejected this stance. As they have rejected the stance that homosexuality is a sexual dysfunction. I would be interested in hearing from other mental health professionals what they think of your use of addiction assessment guidelines to diagnose a homosexual.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Mel44,

I am a bit concerned that as a self-proclaimed mental health professional you would equate homosexuality with pedophilia. I believe that as a whole, the medical community has rejected this stance. As they have rejected the stance that homosexuality is a sexual dysfunction. I would be interested in hearing from other mental health professionals what they think of your use of addiction assessment guidelines to diagnose a homosexual.
    Sure TJ - the AMA removed it a few years back. The debate is, they are to left wing and support politically correctness. I don't know that I completely disagree. We all have our own criteria for diagnosing and assessment tools. I used the substance abuse MMPI criteria. The Sassi works about the same way. The issue when diagnosing homosexual is it in itself is not necessarily the issue and can be classified under sexual dysfunction. Everything we do is based on theory. There is no test to scientifically test for mental health issues. It really is based on the theory you believe and the application of that theory.

CVal

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Mel44,

I agree, TJ. I'm also concerned because, if I understand her correctly, Mel doesn't know any homosexual people. I find that very interesting. She's either not paying attention, or she lives in a very sheltered environment.

She did later admit that heteros can also be pedophiles, but the earlier post in which she equated pedophilia with homosexuality was troubling to me.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I'm glad it has not degenerated into a frenzy of name calling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CVal View Post
    I agree, TJ. I'm also concerned because, if I understand her correctly, Mel doesn't know any homosexual people. I find that very interesting. She's either not paying attention, or she lives in a very sheltered environment.

She did later admit that heteros can also be pedophiles, but the earlier post in which she equated pedophilia with homosexuality was troubling to me.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I'm glad it has not degenerated into a frenzy of name calling.
    No CVAL I said I didn't know any in any long term relationships. i know many and have some in my family. Where is your dividing line for pedophilia? Is there a certain age of child that is not ranked as a child. i have a 17 year old. She is a baby no where near able to fight the advances of a experienced 45 year old adult, especially one she was learning from and being taught under.

i like the mental health debates they are based more on evidence and theory than personal views. I have noticed in my career when people believe something but don't know why they believe it they tend to get into personal comments since they have no evidence to argue with. It's why i posted it - I want to learn and gain a broader understanding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also want to add that one of the 12 core functions within my scope of practice is referral. I would never treat anyone that I found myself to be in moral or ethical conflict with. I would refer them to a therapist that is acclimated to their specific area of life as the do me when they find themselves in conflict with personal beliefs. For example, I have a friend in the field that was raped as a child. she has a very difficult time treating sex offenders. I take those clients for her. Just good therapeutic business.