Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality & Morality - Conflict of Terms!?

Variable Wind

Re: Homosexuality & Morality - Conflict of Terms!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit69 View Post
    I'm still a little confused over the whole "shower problem". Why is there such an issue with gay people seeing you shower? Does it hurt your feelings?
    Its a fundamental issue. Why are women and men have separate quarters? We would have to hold gays to a different and unequal standard which is no different than what we are doing now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Variable Wind View Post
    Actually what you are discussing are civil unions which are recognized in many states. IMHO the term marriage is a religious term and should only be recognized between the different churches at their discretion. The state should not be in the business of facilitation relgious practices or telling religions which unions will and will not be recognized.

Bottom line, the state should only sponsor civil unions for all (gay or straight) and if you want to be married, go to your church for it. I know it may seem like an arguement over semantics but I think it would solve at least a few issues.

Marriage was around LONG before religion. There are many tribes who have no "religion" yet have marriages still today. Why is it that some religious people want to put their stamp on the term marriage like they own it? I shouldn't have to go to church to marry the woman I love. "Hi y'all, I want to introduce you to my civil partner Karen." No, I think I would rather call her what she is. My wife. Remember the whole seperation of church and state thing? It isn't that the state shouldn't sponsor marriages, it is that the religions need to stay out of my government and my life. The same goes for the government towards gays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a fundamental issue. Why are women and men have separate quarters? We would have to hold gays to a different and unequal standard which is no different than what we are doing now.
    It used to be a "fundamental issue" that blacks couldn't serve with whites orwhen they did get to serve, they had to remain in seperate quarters. We got past that didn't we?

Variable Wind

It used to be a "fundamental issue" that blacks couldn't serve with whites orwhen they did get to serve, they had to remain in seperate quarters. We got past that didn't we?
    Yeah, race and sexuality are pretty much the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They may not be the same thing, but they are facing the same challenges.

ringjamesa

Then why aren't you rasing hell about it NOW? Why wait until they can serve openly? Why aren't you outraged that you shower with homosexualxs TODAY? If it isn't enough of a problem to conce3rn you today, it shouldn't be enough of a problem to concern you when they are open about their sexuality. Yeah, yeah, yeah...double standard...blah, blah, blah. Until I see you going up your chain about the fact that the same double standard is in place NOW, I don't really care that all of a sudden you will be concerned about the same double standard in the future.

Variable Wind

Marriage was around LONG before religion. There are many tribes who have no "religion" yet have marriages still today. Why is it that some religious people want to put their stamp on the term marriage like they own it? I shouldn't have to go to church to marry the woman I love. "Hi y'all, I want to introduce you to my civil partner Karen." No, I think I would rather call her what she is. My wife. Remember the whole seperation of church and state thing? It isn't that the state shouldn't sponsor marriages, it is that the religions need to stay out of my government and my life. The same goes for the government towards gays.
    A little sensitive arent you. You can introduce your wife however you want (careful that she doesnt slap you though), and you dont have a clue how long marriage and religion have been around comparatively. Dont speak for what you dont know. Historically in OUR nation (which if you have not figured out, is the only one I am concerned with) is a nation where marriage has been considered a religious union. So the whole "we were here first" arguement goes to religion and the Government should take a hike. The government has no business in your lifestyle other than for tax and liability purposes. I dont see how that puts them in charge of marriage.

Open and shut, sorry.

Variable Wind

They may not be the same thing, but they are facing the same challenges.
    Doesnt mean the solution is the same. 2+4 and 2x4 are both math problems but the solution is different.

Variable Wind

Quote Originally Posted by ringjamesa View Post
    Then why aren't you rasing hell about it NOW? Why wait until they can serve openly? Why aren't you outraged that you shower with homosexualxs TODAY? If it isn't enough of a problem to conce3rn you today, it shouldn't be enough of a problem to concern you when they are open about their sexuality. Yeah, yeah, yeah...double standard...blah, blah, blah. Until I see you going up your chain about the fact that the same double standard is in place NOW, I don't really care that all of a sudden you will be concerned about the same double standard in the future.
    Im not paid to come up with solutions, Im merely giving the problems and my take on things. In this particular instance the pros and cons are both serious for both sides of the arguement. I think that at this point recinding DADT would cause more problems than it would solve and given the state of the world right now, we cant afford making this move until we have done everything we can to solve the problems presented by recinding DADT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Doesnt mean the solution is the same. 2+4 and 2x4 are both math problems but the solution is different.
    In most states...they are protected by the same anti-discrimination laws.