Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: reenlistment bonuses

catous6

Re: reenlistment bonuses

I for one believe that the 28% capital gains tax is excessive!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its kind of like I pay myself to serve and I pay myself to reenlist

Just go on deplyoment, then it won't be taxed. But since you already know that i'm assuming that you don't want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of all the things people are complaining about this is so small. What are you people? mercenaries? If you're in a combat zone and re-enlist it's tax free, if not then join the rest of us that had to pay and will continue to pay taxes. I received my 1st bonus in 1980, second in 84 both taxed, try this on people, I had my zone 3 cancelled because of boat space then reinstated 4 months later just before the end of the fiscal year. You think you're the only one's to have sacrificed? Well Vietnam 75 with 3/9, Beirut 76 w/3/2, IO in 79 for Jimmy Carter and twice more to Lebanon with the 24th(82&83) and not to forget GWI in 90-91, quit complaining and enjoy whatever you get. Semper Fi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kenny10, good reply when someone disagrees with you "shut the hell up" , once again you have proved the mercenary point, get out make 80k+ and pay major taxes on that, help keep social security going you freeloader(FYI:I have combat action with gold star and that was prior to this mess that baby scrub got us into). Semper Fi

IntelBubba

I received a bonus this year and as much as it hurt to see 21K taken from it I was prepared for it (50K more then I had the day before). However, come tax time I am now above 100K for the year and now owing money even after claiming married and zero for the year. I have more heart burn about being in a higher tax bracket (owing money in April) then paying up front, so instead of getting any of the money taken from me this year I owe some. I think it should be taxed up front (if not in a Combat Zone) but not calculated into your yearly income during tax time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarineMatt04 View Post
    Just go on deplyoment, then it won't be taxed. But since you already know that i'm assuming that you don't want to.
    I've already been deployed 3 times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NE of AZ View Post
    Kenny10, good reply when someone disagrees with you "shut the hell up" , once again you have proved the mercenary point, get out make 80k+ and pay major taxes on that, help keep social security going you freeloader(FYI:I have combat action with gold star and that was prior to this mess that baby scrub got us into). Semper Fi
    Well congrats , what the hell do you want? A pat on the damn back? You get in here and give your opinion and then start rattling off your combat action gold star mess.................and blah blah blah good for you, good for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IntelBubba View Post
    I received a bonus this year and as much as it hurt to see 21K taken from it I was prepared for it (50K more then I had the day before). However, come tax time I am now above 100K for the year and now owing money even after claiming married and zero for the year. I have more heart burn about being in a higher tax bracket (owing money in April) then paying up front, so instead of getting any of the money taken from me this year I owe some. I think it should be taxed up front (if not in a Combat Zone) but not calculated into your yearly income during tax time.
    Seriously? Oh thats just terrific, I feel for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a Navy FMF Corpsman and I do not get ANY bonus. Been to Iraq and afghanistan with the Marines and a 15 month tour with the Army. Be happy with what you get because most of us have to deploy for our bonus.