Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reenlistment bonuses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Re: reenlistment bonuses

I happen to know numerous jobs in the Air Force that you do not need college degrees for that you can get 6 figures for in the civilian sector. The same way I know many people in the civilian sectors with degrees that only get them the equivilant of an E-3 pay check. I think that some people on here are attacking other members simply because they got into an argument with their "friend" . I don't think that VFFSSGT said anything that was untrue. Also, who the heck in the military gets a $90,000 bonus? I think that may be stretching it a bit. I believe it caps off at 60.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: reenlistment bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    oh here we go with the "grateful you are getting anything at all" bullshit lines
    I don't get anything unless I decide to reenlist and shit if I can get out and make 80,000 a year then yeah damn right I better get a bonus. Obviously they want to entice me to stick around and my job is really important.
    I simply gave my opinion about bonus tax, not whether or not I'm lucky enough to get one or not so shut the hell up
    Get the hell out! 80,000 my ass!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel your pain. I got a reenlistment bonus last year. Half up front was 20,000 after taxes I got 13,000. My installment just came in and I should have gotten 3500, after taxes 2,600. For now the only solution is to re-enlist in the desert. Tax free!... It would be nice to have it tax free, but for now I guess I will just be happy that I got a bonus at all... :banana:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    I feel your pain. I got a reenlistment bonus last year. Half up front was 20,000 after taxes I got 13,000. My installment just came in and I should have gotten 3500, after taxes 2,600. For now the only solution is to re-enlist in the desert. Tax free!... It would be nice to have it tax free, but for now I guess I will just be happy that I got a bonus at all... :banana:

Ya we got 30,000 but ended up with about 24. The pissy part is we got it 2 weeks before James deployed NICE
    Texas Has The Death Penalty - We Use It!:biggrin

Last Year They Introduced Legislation That Would Expedite The Appeals Process If There Were 3 or More Witnesses To The Crime

While Other States Are fighting To Keep The Death Penalty Out
    Texas Is Putting In An EXPRESS LANE!!
    Ron White:rockon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mel44 View Post
    Ya we got 30,000 but ended up with about 24. The pissy part is we got it 2 weeks before James deployed NICE
    You should really get one thing straight...

YOU did not get anything.
    YOU are not in the military.
    YOU have no idea what kind of jobs are available in the Air Force or Marine Corps
    YOU have no idea what VFSSGT does, or even what I do (although it is stated).
    YOU do not have a leg to stand on when you tell an active duty NCO that they do not know what they are talking about.

This is an open forum, obviously. You can say whatever you want. But it gets old when you come on here and tell active duty service members what is and isn't reality when you have no first hand experience. I don't care how many "soldiers" you have spoken to, you have no military experience. As VF has said, there are a lot of jobs that you can get out and make 6 figures with, if you have technical military training. If he wants to be aggressive about his opinion, then he can go ahead and do so and kenny can stick up for himself. Kenny's a Marine. Kenny does not need you to back him up. Pitch in when you have something that you have experience in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_8156 View Post
    You should really get one thing straight...

YOU did not get anything.
    YOU are not in the military.
    YOU have no idea what kind of jobs are available in the Air Force or Marine Corps
    YOU have no idea what VFSSGT does, or even what I do (although it is stated).
    YOU do not have a leg to stand on when you tell an active duty NCO that they do not know what they are talking about.

This is an open forum, obviously. You can say whatever you want. But it gets old when you come on here and tell active duty service members what is and isn't reality when you have no first hand experience. I don't care how many "soldiers" you have spoken to, you have no military experience. As VF has said, there are a lot of jobs that you can get out and make 6 figures with, if you have technical military training. If he wants to be aggressive about his opinion, then he can go ahead and do so and kenny can stick up for himself. Kenny's a Marine. Kenny does not need you to back him up. Pitch in when you have something that you have experience in.
    Nice... And let me emphasize a few of your statements.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    I happen to know numerous jobs in the Air Force that you do not need college degrees for that you can get 6 figures for in the civilian sector. The same way I know many people in the civilian sectors with degrees that only get them the equivilant of an E-3 pay check. I think that some people on here are attacking other members simply because they got into an argument with their "friend" . I don't think that VFFSSGT said anything that was untrue. Also, who the heck in the military gets a $90,000 bonus? I think that may be stretching it a bit. I believe it caps off at 60.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...MIN596-08.aspx
    To whichever Marine that said he was a career planner and knew no such thing of being able to reenlist after the boat spaces closed out
    Funny how I know these things and a career planner doesn't.............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny thing, I was talking to my career jammer yesterday and he mentioned that you can get back the money they take from your bonus at the end of the year when you do your taxes. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but definitely worth looking into.

In the long run though, being in the service should have nothing to do with bonuses. I joined the Marines as an open contract. No bonus, didn't care. I wanted to be a Marine. I got out, realized how much better my life was when my biggest problem in life was waking up at 530 to go running, did an about face and now I am fighting tooth and nail to get back in. I may get a bonus, maybe not. Either way it's worth it.

Just something to think about, the grass may not always be greener.

Oh, and to nobody specific: you give up the right to talk about sacrifice when you are trying to get something in return for your service. Sacrifice means giving something up, not doing something for more pay. Deployment isn't a sacrifice (for many) we got Marines lined up around the block who can't wait to deploy and get that money. Try not to make it sound like you're headed for the trenches, because everybody knows it's not like that anymore. [POG perspective, nobody get butt hurt over it.]

my 2¢

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilNuts View Post
    Funny thing, I was talking to my career jammer yesterday and he mentioned that you can get back the money they take from your bonus at the end of the year when you do your taxes. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but definitely worth looking into.

In the long run though, being in the service should have nothing to do with bonuses. I joined the Marines as an open contract. No bonus, didn't care. I wanted to be a Marine. I got out, realized how much better my life was when my biggest problem in life was waking up at 530 to go running, did an about face and now I am fighting tooth and nail to get back in. I may get a bonus, maybe not. Either way it's worth it.

Just something to think about, the grass may not always be greener.

Oh, and to nobody specific: you give up the right to talk about sacrifice when you are trying to get something in return for your service. Sacrifice means giving something up, not doing something for more pay. Deployment isn't a sacrifice (for many) we got Marines lined up around the block who can't wait to deploy and get that money. Try not to make it sound like you're headed for the trenches, because everybody knows it's not like that anymore. [POG perspective, nobody get butt hurt over it.]

my 2¢
    You will get about half back in taxes
    So you give up the right to talk about sacrifice because you want a bonus for your service but Marines are lined up ready for deployments to make MONEY?
    are you serious? You talk about bonuses which is money and then talk about wanting to deploy for the money? If you didn't make more money deploying how many Marines do you think would be lined up then?
    You list the primary source of motivation is money for deploying.
    Only someone who has NEVER deployed would think its not a sacrifice? That is just a dumb statement and I don't even want to elaborate anymore on that because its that stupid
    They are giving out bonuses to make Marines stay in, I would bet that if there were no bonus, we would be pretty far under our reenlistment goals
    There is a reason why they are giving out bonuses...............