Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: reenlistment bonuses

  1. #11
    Member mel44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas Beach Houston
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    hhaahaha no way!
    I was just having a conversation about how I didn't think it was fair that we got or bonuses taxed with my gunny the other day and I thought I would ask everyone else's opinion

    Awww
    Good I was gonna have a "mom" talk with you. Yes the bonus tax is BS. We took one last year and Uncle Sam got a big chunk of it. If it had come just a few weeks later we would not have had to pay so much. Its always something
    Texas Has The Death Penalty - We Use It!:biggrin

    Last Year They Introduced Legislation That Would Expedite The Appeals Process If There Were 3 or More Witnesses To The Crime

    While Other States Are fighting To Keep The Death Penalty Out
    Texas Is Putting In An EXPRESS LANE!!
    Ron White:rockon

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    oh here we go with the "grateful you are getting anything at all" bullshit lines
    I don't get anything unless I decide to reenlist and shit if I can get out and make 80,000 a year then yeah damn right I better get a bonus. Obviously they want to entice me to stick around and my job is really important.
    I simply gave my opinion about bonus tax, not whether or not I'm lucky enough to get one or not so shut the hell up
    Take the high road then; this military does not need anyone with your type of attitude to begin with.... I am sure you will come by $80,000 really easy in the civilian world right now.... If you were so sure of yourself you wouldn't be here making empty threats...

    I really can't stand self-absorbed people.... You gave your opinion and everyone gave you theirs; if you can't handle opinions in opposition to yours maybe you should reconsider posting on here in the future....

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    hhaahaha no way!
    I was just having a conversation about how I didn't think it was fair that we got or bonuses taxed with my gunny the other day and I thought I would ask everyone else's opinion
    Guess what, life isn't fair...

    Good thing you didn't re-enlist; the military will be a better place without you.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Kenny, there are people like that on the outside too, I used to work for them before I came in so trust me, it's not inherent to the Corps. I hope you don't base staying in or getting out on that issue.

    I also was always a believer that bonuses should not be taxed, after all, it is a bonus based upon the needs of the Corps to retain the MOS and rank (to some degree since zones drive your bonus) they desperately need. I for one think bonuses are good, I also think we pay too much to some MOS's and not enough to others that I feel are truly needed and deserving, but that's another discussion that took place a long time ago last time I spoke of bonuses.

    Yes, they should make the bonus nontaxable so you pay nothing AND it doesn't count towards your annual income for that year, thereby moving some people to the next higher tax bracket. I agree with you Kenny.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny_2862 View Post
    Kenny, there are people like that on the outside too, I used to work for them before I came in so trust me, it's not inherent to the Corps. I hope you don't base staying in or getting out on that issue.

    I also was always a believer that bonuses should not be taxed, after all, it is a bonus based upon the needs of the Corps to retain the MOS and rank (to some degree since zones drive your bonus) they desperately need. I for one think bonuses are good, I also think we pay too much to some MOS's and not enough to others that I feel are truly needed and deserving, but that's another discussion that took place a long time ago last time I spoke of bonuses.

    Yes, they should make the bonus nontaxable so you pay nothing AND it doesn't count towards your annual income for that year, thereby moving some people to the next higher tax bracket. I agree with you Kenny.
    I know there are people like that everywhere and its sad.
    I agree with you as well Gunny, thank you for your opinion. I just really don't think that a bonus should be taxed. Its a bonus you recieve to keep you in the corps and to keep valuable Marines in MOS's that are critical
    I didn't even think that far into it as raising your annual income which puts you in a higher tax bracket so thanks for another insight

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    If you want to use a bunch of fallacies and speak derogatory of another service in your arguments, so be it; they speak for themselves and show your lack of intellectual ability.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    I didn't even think...
    Exactly, and if you had slowed down and thought about what I said instead of mouth off to someone in opposition to your opinion, you would have been able to deduce that I obviously do not believe there is anything wrong with taxing a bonus. You should be appreciative you are getting one at all. But, this is a common problem in the service and society in general now days; it's me, me, me attitudes; nothing is ever good enough...

    What is going to be interesting is when you do get out...one day you will realize how good you had it... I have seen many people with your type of attitude leave the service through the years and they are worst off now than they were in the service. By the way, I use to have the me first attitude; it gets you no were and you will continue to make bad decisions, like getting out, running around with that attitude...

    For the record, I can make upwards of $100,000 in civilian life myself, so what; go gloat elsewhere. Money is not why I am here as it is obvious you are here or staying here for the wrong reasons. Like I said, the military doesn't need self-absorbed people like yourself.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Quote Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
    No matter how bad the economy is, I know that I will get 80,000 dollars a year when I get out. Which is why my bonus is 90,000 because my job is critical. The boat spaces are closed but guess what? I can still reenlist if I wanted to because "I'm the best of the best" and can still reenlist into my MOS even though its closed
    I don't know you and I am not picking on you so don't get butt hurt when I call your bull crap flag on this. There is no way "you" can re-enlist into a closed MOS, unless you work for Manpower its self. I have been a recruiter and a CRS, so I can tell you from experiece that this is not true. If your job was so "critical" it wouldn't be closed and they would be offering lat move packages at the highest levels.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    So anyways...

    The reason I disagreed wtih kenny originally is because frankly everyone has to pay taxes. I'm tired of hearing about how serving your country should mean you get this and that for benefits on the side. Federal service does not make you a better person than the doctors, construction workers, and lawyers. Well, maybe the lawyers. You already shop tax free at the commisary, have all inclusive health insurance, and an unrivaled job security. I guess we should get extra votes in the primaries too, right?

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_8156 View Post
    So anyways...

    The reason I disagreed wtih kenny originally is because frankly everyone has to pay taxes. I'm tired of hearing about how serving your country should mean you get this and that for benefits on the side. Federal service does not make you a better person than the doctors, construction workers, and lawyers. Well, maybe the lawyers. You already shop tax free at the commisary, have all inclusive health insurance, and an unrivaled job security. I guess we should get extra votes in the primaries too, right?
    Brother you make a good point and I would possible agree with you if they deployed and ran the risk of dying for their country. I hate taxes, but love it when I get a tax return, so it works out for the best in the end. Alot of people don't realize where the tax money goes, so I would rather pay up front in taxes, then later on when I'm in a crunch.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    Kenny, I did state I agree with no taxing of the bonuses. USMC, I disagree, we pay taxes and through those taxes we in effect, pay ourselves. If presidents, senators, and other government officials can voluntarily opt out of paying social security and the rest of us have no choice in the matter, why can't I not be taxed on a bonus to stay in the military?

    I don't understand the correlation between health/dental care and tax free bonuses, please explain for me?

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: reenlistment bonuses

    I do disagree with the idea that we have to pay SS and Medicare...but there is no reason we as everyone should pay federal and state taxes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •