Page 102 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1368

Thread: Dear Crusty

Re: Dear Crusty

Dear Crusty,
    As parents, what exactly is the difference between us making our kids strong, and someone else making them "Army Strong"?

Sincerely,
    Other People's Parents
    (The OPP, yeah you know me!)

CVal

Dear OPP,

The difference between parents making their kids strong and someone else making them Army (or Navy, etc) strong is that parents do it because we love them and need them for who they are, and the military does it because they want them and need them for what they can be made to do. In other words, if parents didn't make their kids strong on the base level, the military wouldn't be able to make them strong at the Army (Navy, etc) level.

Signed,
    Raise Them Right And They'll (Usually) Do The Right Thing

P.S. On a serious note, your question made me think about a comment the ship's CO said at my son's funeral service. J's best friend's mother and sister got up and talked about J and their memories of him. Then the CO got up and said, "You just heard about J the boy. Now let me tell you about J the man."

P.P.S. That same younger sister is graduating next month from college, having been on an Army ROTC scholarship for three years. She'll be commissioning as an Army officer in May. What field is she going into? Healthcare administration so that she can be of benefit to wounded military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Mike Large View Post
    Dear Crusty,
    As parents, what exactly is the difference between us making our kids strong, and someone else making them "Army Strong"?

Sincerely,
    Other People's Parents
    (The OPP, yeah you know me!)

Dear OPP, If you raised your kids mentally strong they would join the USAF! (just kiddin’ Army folks)

CVal

Ha, ha, LOAL. Everyone knows that if you raise them right, they'll join the Navy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CVal View Post
    Ha, ha, LOAL. Everyone knows that if you raise them right, they'll join the Navy.
    CVal you rock! My dad was Army/USAAF/USAF, my uncles were Marines, my brother was Navy, and I’m AF. We spanned all the wars since WWII, needless to say, we had some interesting family holiday discussions.

CVal

That's great, LOAL! My dad's parents were immigrants from the Netherlands. They met here (well, Wisconsin), married and had five sons, all of whom enlisted in the various military branches our nation offers. My dad was the second son, and he spent 20 years Navy, while his youngest brother spent nearly 30 years Air Force. (The other brothers served one enlistment each.) My late F-I-L was Navy during WWII, while my hubs is retired Navy, 24.5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CVal View Post
    That's great, LOAL! My dad's parents were immigrants from the Netherlands. They met here (well, Wisconsin), married and had five sons, all of whom enlisted in the various military branches our nation offers. My dad was the second son, and he spent 20 years Navy, while his youngest brother spent nearly 30 years Air Force. (The other brothers served one enlistment each.) My late F-I-L was Navy during WWII, while my hubs is retired Navy, 24.5 years.
    Now that's service to your country! And yet somehow you probably aren't one of those types who plasters those Support the Troops magnets all over the mini van.

Deebelle369

Quote Originally Posted by LOAL-D View Post
    Now that's service to your country! And yet somehow you probably aren't one of those types who plasters those Support the Troops magnets all over the mini van.
    <guilty of ONE magnet on the car>

My sons are third generation military too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deebelle369 View Post
    <guilty of ONE magnet on the car>

My sons are third generation military too!
    Ha ha Dee, thanks for your family's service. I was on my bike in uniform and got ran off the road by a minvan and saw 10 of those ribbon magnets on the back hatch as it sped away, ha ha, "supported" me right off the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 magnets on my car.....

And Cval I swear you are one of the strongest women i know.
    *For all the moments spent alone,
    For all the dinners by myself,
    and a lonely bed every night,
    I wouldn't give it up.

For every tear my cheek has felt,
    For every letter that I've wrote,
    I wouldn't give it up.

The wait to hold you in my arms
    Makes the heart grow strong.

Troll Cabal~Concubine

Assistant to the Keeper of the Holy Hemp

Official Young'un~Private first class.