Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Judicial Salary Increase v. Military Salary Increase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Judicial Salary Increase v. Military Salary Increase

You're correct on your points. But the militant gays have commandeered the whole issue of public nudity in San Francisco. The city does make an exception for festivals like the Folsom Street Fair which is a big gay exhibitionist bash and many gays have tied the opposition to public nudity to prejudice against gays. I don't buy their argument but it is out there. The case is still in federal court. I checked the docket today and the nudies tried to get a Preliminary Injunction and a Temporary Restraining Order to stop the new law but apparently the judge didn't go along with it. He denied the TRO but I can't figure out from the docket if he denied the PI as well. In any case, the court has set up an Alternative Dispute Resolution phone conference set for June 3. I can't believe that the nudies will just decide to negotiate a settlement unless they are certain they will lose. I also can't believe that this case is even in court.
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
    Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A quick check of PACER found that the above case, 3:12-cv-05841-EMC Hightower et al v. City and County of San Francisco et al, is still going on. What a waste of limited public money and resources but no matter, everyone involved in this stupidity takes themselves very seriously. I presume the plaintiffs, who are a bunch of exhibitionists, are expected to wear clothes when they attend hearings in federal court in San Francisco.

Now on to the latest drug-addled judge. Granted, this druggie judge is not a federal judge, but merely a justice court judge here in Salt Lake City. And I didn't even have to look for this one. It was simply a news story in my local paper this morning. Virginia Ward, a 1993 graduate of the University of Utah Law School and a Salt Lake City justice court judge for the past eleven years, was arrested by the DEA for buying and selling drugs. According to the newspaper story she admitted her drug of choice is Oxycodone. Who knows how many people charged with misdemeanor drug crimes stood in front of her in her courtroom as she passed judgment on them while she was zoned on Oxy? Will someone please tell me why the legal and medical professions don't have to take drug tests?
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...judge.html.csp
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Civil Rights case in federal court in San Francisco is still going on. It involves a group of nudists who argue that they have the Constitutional right to walk around naked and are suing the city of San Francisco which has prohibited it. This idiotic case was filed last November and no doubt a lot of public money has been spent on it so far judging by all the activity on the docket. What a waste of very limited resources but no doubt everyone involved, from the nudists and their attorney to Judge Edward Chen, consider it to be an important civil rights case and take themselves very seriously.

There is a telephone conference scheduled for September 16, at 2:00 p.m. which is nice for the nudists because they won’t have to dress for it. Presumably their attorney will, though.

Judicial Schmooze Fest in Colorado!
    The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals recently concluded a judicial conference at a snazzy five star resort in Colorado Springs. Sequester be damned! http://tenthcircuitconference.org/

With officials from the Judicial Branch demanding that Congress end across the board budget cuts from the sequester, federal judges from the Tenth Circuit start to gather today for a judicial conference at a "five star" Colorado resort that features three golf courses and a "scenic mountain backdrop." http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jamie-dup...ederal-judges/

At least Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) had the sense to challenge the federal judges about their “jet set junkets.”

Such spending by federal judicial circuits caught the eye of Congress earlier this month, as Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) asked federal judges to justify why they are spending taxpayer dollars on what he labeled "jet set judicial junkets." http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jamie-dup...ederal-judges/

An interesting footnote to the story is that numerous attorneys attend these junkets as well and according to Jamie Dupree, (using the Eleventh Circuit as an example) each attending attorney kicks in an extra three hundred thirty five dollars to offset the cost of food and beverages at the conferences. How nice that attorneys who argue cases in front of the Circuit Court judges are buying their drinks at these luxury resort conferences. What a bunch of schmoozers! http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/08/29...ations-rockies

It’s business as usual for federal judges. A judiciary that howls in protest when told to cut their budgets but thinks nothing of spending public money on themselves.
    Lisa Burke

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Just like the junkets the UN has when they go to places to discuss famine/poverty and have lavish all you can eat buffets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pigs at a trough. But the UN example that you give is particularly offensive for obvious reasons.
    Lisa Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MORE NAKED NEWS FROM SAN FRANCISCO! Well, the nudies are still at it and nobody at the federal court in San Francisco has a whit of common sense. The case is still going on and everyone involved seems to think it is important to decide in court whether people can walk around nude. There are 73 entries on the docket which is a record of the activity in the case. Here is a recent one from a couple of days ago. "Minute Entry: Further Case Management Conference held on 12/12/2013 before Edward M. Chen (Date Filed: 12/16/2013). Case Management Statement due by 5/1/2014. Further Case Management Conference set for 5/8/2014 01:30 PM in Courtroom 5, 17th Floor, San Francisco. (Recording #1036-1104.) (bpf, COURT STAFF) (Date Filed: 12/16/2013) (Entered: 12/16/2013)." So apparently we can look forward to this going into next year. I'm glad that federal judges are keeping busy with important stuff when they aren't partying at swanky judicial conferences. A friend who lives in the San Francisco area sent me this link yesterday. It is a story about "Gypsy" Taub, one of the five plaintiffs in the case. Ms. Taub joined the suit last year and while she doesn't appear to have any money for legal fees (and indeed, is probably on public assistance) she gets a lot of press for the case because she likes to run around Berkeley and San Francisco naked. BTW, the article does not discuss the lawsuit, only her fondness for getting arrested for indecent exposure.
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...034.php#page-1
    Lisa Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pay Raises for Federal Judges! (Oh, and Naked People in San Francisco.)

Federal judges have long complained that their cost-of-living-adjustment salary increases have been frozen by Congress for a number of years. While my opinion of the federal judiciary is boringly obvious from this blog I will point out that my original opposition to raises for federal judges was not the COLA’s but the massive pay raise that was proposed by various members of Congress some years back (compared to the tiny raise that had been proposed for the military.) Those Congressional bills to raise the salary of the judiciary were never voted on however, and the bills died. Now comes word that the judges will get substantial COLA increases effective January 1, 2014. This doesn’t matter to me but the method used to get them does. The judges sued and won in Federal Court!

In 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled in the case of six district and appellate court judges that Congress had unconstitutionally cut the compensation to which federal jurists were entitled under the 1989 ethics law. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...eze-falls.html

I won’t argue that the judiciary should have a substantial COLA. But I will point out that the case surely had a pre-determined outcome and federal judges shouldn’t act like the decision might have been anything other than favorable to themselves. Hell, the same judges that presided over the case will get the COLA raises. Perhaps there was no other way to decide the case other than have state court judges handle it, which would have at least had the facade of impartiality, but that probably isn’t permitted. Anyway, there was nothing impartial about this case or the decision. I’m sure no one was more surprised than federal judges when they won the case! Sheesh....

The naked people in San Francisco are still in court-sort of. The case is scheduled for a settlement conference on March 12. If Judge Chen or the Magistrate judge assigned to the case have any common sense they will tell the exhibitionists/plaintiffs to put on some clothes, get jobs if they don’t have them and grow up. But assuming anyone involved in this case has any common sense is the triumph of hope over experience.

Here in Salt Lake City, two federal judges have announced their retirement, effectively becoming senior judges with reduced caseloads. Presumably two new nominees will be announced before long. Utah Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, both Republicans, get to recommend individuals to fill the open seats. President Barack Obama will then nominate the candidates, who must be approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...court.html.csp

It’s all pretty predictable. The new judges will almost surely come from either of two ranks; corporate attorneys or university professors. Neither group, in my view, has much in common with average Americans but we will be told that the nominees are brilliant and will make fine judges. Whatever.....

The same article that I quoted above talks about the heavy caseload that federal judges carry. In the case of Utah judges the average is 499 which includes both civil and criminal. I know little about criminal cases in federal court but I would submit that federal judges could reduce the civil case workload if they stopped spending so much time and public money on the many idiotic claims filed in federal court, some of which I have written about on this blog.
    Lisa Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being an optimist I often think I can’t possibly detest the federal judiciary any more than I already do. But then something happens to bring me back to reality and I realize that, yeah, I can despise them even more. That “something” would be the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and their recent decision affirming a lower court ruling that high school kids at Live Oak High School near San Jose, California had to either remove clothing displaying the American flag or go home during a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the school. This was to appease Hispanic kids who were celebrating the Mexican holiday. The principal and vice principal claimed it was to prevent racial tension at the school where over half the student body is Hispanic. So the Anglo kids, who are actually proud of America, get punished. The Hispanic kids, who apparently have more loyalty to Mexico than to the U.S., get to carry on their school endorsed celebration of Mexico with no conditions placed on them. Thanks Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, for reaffirming my belief that the federal judiciary is a pox on America.

Post script: I don't know if only Anglo kids wore the clothing with the American flags. The articles I read didn't say. There were no photos I could find showing anything other than Anglo kids but there may have been some Hispanic kids who chose to wear them.
    http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...7/11-17858.pdf

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...-US-court-says
    Lisa Burke