Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Lipservice

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    crablackistan
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Lipservice

    Why does leadership constantly preach....look out for your people, look out for your wingman. Effective leadership is about taking care of your people, i have an open door policy blah blah, blah.... When in reality very few people actually care anything about their fellow employee. If it boils down to you or them better believe your ass, you're going under the bus. Quit with all the "mandatory fun" and wingman days, its all bullshit to cover your ass. And your open door policy does nothing but undermine the chain of command and leaves the NCOs of today, the future SNCO, woefully unprepared to deal with real issues. I'm just tired of this fake ass "airforce family" we care about you airmen so and so, when in fact all you care about is your weak as power point slides being in the green and looking good for your boss so you can get that DP/SRE. And this post wasnt spawned from some issue I am having just tired of all the fake ass people not telling it like it really is. No one cares about you, just show up and stay out of trouble.

  2. #2
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    Quote Originally Posted by mikezulu1 View Post
    Why does leadership constantly preach....look out for your people, look out for your wingman. Effective leadership is about taking care of your people, i have an open door policy blah blah, blah.... When in reality very few people actually care anything about their fellow employee. If it boils down to you or them better believe your ass, you're going under the bus. Quit with all the "mandatory fun" and wingman days, its all bullshit to cover your ass. And your open door policy does nothing but undermine the chain of command and leaves the NCOs of today, the future SNCO, woefully unprepared to deal with real issues. I'm just tired of this fake ass "airforce family" we care about you airmen so and so, when in fact all you care about is your weak as power point slides being in the green and looking good for your boss so you can get that DP/SRE. And this post wasnt spawned from some issue I am having just tired of all the fake ass people not telling it like it really is. No one cares about you, just show up and stay out of trouble.
    And what brought this outpouring of emotion out? Did something specifically happen to you?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    crablackistan
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    drunkposting mostly

  4. #4
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    A good example of lip service from leadership is the new PT Pub update that came out. The Air Force can now claim that they listened to us and adjusted the waist measurement test where somebody who performs above average of the field on all the other components, but yet may tape a 39.5 or 40.0, can still pass the test. When in reality, the BMI and neck/waist standards they came up with for the additional test are nearly impossible to pass with a waist higher than 39 inches no matter how fit you are.

    So when you dig deep into the changes to the PT program, basically nothing changed at all. That is the definition of lip service.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near the swamps
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    Here is the thing I have noticed about the open door policy and the Wing or Group commander level. If you do have a valid issue that you have been unable to solve and you bring it to the wing king you will be heard. It is very rare that the open door policy gets used at that level, most commanders will be shocked that someone even wants to use the policy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Slyoldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pacifica CA
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbo607 View Post
    Here is the thing I have noticed about the open door policy and the Wing or Group commander level. If you do have a valid issue that you have been unable to solve and you bring it to the wing king you will be heard. It is very rare that the open door policy gets used at that level, most commanders will be shocked that someone even wants to use the policy.

    It worked for me a long time ago. I had a wing commander (Colonel) ordering me to do something. A personnel officer told me he could not order me to do what was ordered! I was advised to go to the legal office which I did and was again told that it was an illegal order. The Colonel would not back down and told me he would start pulling stripes if I did not comply. I drove 300 miles to the numbered AF HQ and walked right into the 2 star commander's outer office and his secretary ushered. me into his office where I interrupted him reading the morning paper. I calmly explained the situation to him. He picked up his phone and called the colonel He simply told him that he could not order me to do what he wanted and ordered the colonel to drop any idea of retaliation against me. I thanked him, saluted him and drove 300 miles back to my base. Never heard a word from the wing commander after that.

  7. #7
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    Nothing wrong with the open door policy but what is wrong is when people use it first instead of trying to solve the problem at the lowest level. I've known a number of commanders who really had an open door policy but they also insisted the person with the problem try to solve it with their supervisor, flight leaders, squadron commander before taking it to the Group or Wing commander. Unless the problem is of such a magnitude and urgency that will affect the mission or cause harm to someone the problem should be worked at the lower levels first.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lipservice

    Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    A good example of lip service from leadership is the new PT Pub update that came out. The Air Force can now claim that they listened to us and adjusted the waist measurement test where somebody who performs above average of the field on all the other components, but yet may tape a 39.5 or 40.0, can still pass the test. When in reality, the BMI and neck/waist standards they came up with for the additional test are nearly impossible to pass with a waist higher than 39 inches no matter how fit you are.

    So when you dig deep into the changes to the PT program, basically nothing changed at all. That is the definition of lip service.
    I thought the definition was big AF saying "Gotcha" since everyone was bitching about failing from the waist and passing everything else.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •