Page 51 of 411 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Engineer retraining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile Re: Flight Engineer retraining

I am new on here so I'm trying to figure out how this all works. My husband was just approved to cross train into FE. I was wondering if ANYONE has any information on how the transition works when you are stationed overseas? I heard that if you are already in the states they will just leave you at the base you are stationed at then send you off to school, but no one seems to know the answer as to what they will do if your overseas? PCS you to the states first then off to school? He already has a class date for Sept. 09 at Lacklin, but that's all we know so far. AFPC is not much of a help. Has anyone been approved to cross train while you were overseas? Any info would help. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Flight Engineer retraining

Quote Originally Posted by AFWIFE View Post
    I am new on here so I'm trying to figure out how this all works. My husband was just approved to cross train into FE. I was wondering if ANYONE has any information on how the transition works when you are stationed overseas? I heard that if you are already in the states they will just leave you at the base you are stationed at then send you off to school, but no one seems to know the answer as to what they will do if your overseas? PCS you to the states first then off to school? He already has a class date for Sept. 09 at Lacklin, but that's all we know so far. AFPC is not much of a help. Has anyone been approved to cross train while you were overseas? Any info would help. Thanks!

Welcome to the thread. I went through BFE with a couple of overseas guys and they already knew what base and airframe they were going to before they went to BFE. In their case they were PCSed to the base they were to be assigned, and then went through BFE etc. I am in KC10 flight school now with a guy who came from Yokota, and he did the same. If AFPC is not giving you any answers have your husband contact the FE functional manager, he should have got an email from him with his class dates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello all, my question does not have to do with FE, but you guys seem to be very knowledgeable in the retraining process so here goes. I applied under CAREERS retraining for first-termers. On 5 Nov my status in vMPF changed to Awaiting Class Seat (5) for 1C6, Space Sys Ops. However, my DOS is 18 Nov, which is only 1 week from now! I realize that most people would wait until the get the class date allocated (6) before they would extend or reenlist. If the week goes by without them providing me a class date, I will have to reenlist to stay in, and if I have to do that without a class date allocated, will I still be able to get a class date and retrain or will I lose my approval because I will no longer be a FTA? No one at my local retraining, reenlistments, or the Contact Center can give me a solid answer and all refer me to the other. Anyone know anything or who I can ask for a solid answer, or would contacting a Functional Manager to see if they could find a class seat ASAP work? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaze View Post
    Welcome to the thread. I went through BFE with a couple of overseas guys and they already knew what base and airframe they were going to before they went to BFE. In their case they were PCSed to the base they were to be assigned, and then went through BFE etc. I am in KC10 flight school now with a guy who came from Yokota, and he did the same. If AFPC is not giving you any answers have your husband contact the FE functional manager, he should have got an email from him with his class dates.
    Thanks for the info. He has spoke to AFPC, but the only info that they gave him right now is one class date. His training manager said he would have to re-enlist before he gets any more info and new orders?. I guess it's the waiting game......

JackOFallTrades

Hey anybody starting Fudamentals 20 Mar 09? Or water survival 10 Mar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a 13 year C-5 FE instructor looking for some info from any guard and reserve guys concerning school slots. I'm in a reserve unit awaiting a C-130 school date. Since I don't need any of the other stuff, does anyone have any C-130 scoop? Where can I get school info? I read in some of the postings that you can go online from a CAC equipped PC and get the syllabus for MIQ etc. Any ideas would be appreciated. All of this was non-existent when I went through cross-training in 1990. Of course we didn't have to go through the "undergrad" course either and all of us went through parachute trainging up at Fairchild with water survival at Pensacola. Thanks for any info in advance and if you guys want any specific info from a long time engineer fire away. I love the job. That's why I'm coming back in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFWIFE View Post
    Thanks for the info. He has spoke to AFPC, but the only info that they gave him right now is one class date. His training manager said he would have to re-enlist before he gets any more info and new orders?. I guess it's the waiting game......
    Yep you gotta reenlist. They want 48 months retainability for the job, and as a FTA the max you can extend is 23 months,so you have to go ahead and reenlist!

Fenix1442

I got water survival on 10th of March. My last class before I go back to Ellsworth and wait for my flying school to start on whatever airframe I get.

I start Fundies on 14 Nov and BFE 5 Dec. Sere is 13 Feb - 6 Mar for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by c5engineer View Post
    I'm a 13 year C-5 FE instructor looking for some info from any guard and reserve guys concerning school slots. I'm in a reserve unit awaiting a C-130 school date. Since I don't need any of the other stuff, does anyone have any C-130 scoop? Where can I get school info? I read in some of the postings that you can go online from a CAC equipped PC and get the syllabus for MIQ etc. Any ideas would be appreciated. All of this was non-existent when I went through cross-training in 1990. Of course we didn't have to go through the "undergrad" course either and all of us went through parachute trainging up at Fairchild with water survival at Pensacola. Thanks for any info in advance and if you guys want any specific info from a long time engineer fire away. I love the job. That's why I'm coming back in
    Hi c5engineer!

As you are a former C5 engineer, Hercules school at Little Rock should be smooth for you. Just new boldface and a new trash-hauling culture/lifestyle to learn and grow accustomed to. I'm sure you won't complain that 130 life is not as nice as C5 life--it will help you fit in. I wrote about my experience with going from fighter mechanic to 130 engineer (including my Little Rock training) that you can read more of here:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=uX1...rock#PPA178,M1

Other details that maybe of use here:
    http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share...CFETP1A1X1.pdf

Have fun with your return!
    Earl Heron
    "One Desert Jet Turner"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Re: Flight Engineer retraining

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    All Aircrew assignments are based on training availablity PFT (Programmed flight Training) These quotas are constrained by the capability of numbers of aircraft, instructors etc. Look at all the classes ahead of you from Lackland. If the next training quota for the specific aircraft you are being assigned to is a few months out...what do I do with you. Let you sit in my training squadron taking up space or utilize you in something you already know. Usually it is not an extremely long time between them but we have many training units for many weapons systems. All of our class dates cannot and do not match up with every graduate from the entry schools. While it might not make sense to you now....it will. Aircrew assignments are driven by training availability for the weapon systems. Alos, the FY09 PFT seats are just now starting to drop and put into the system....orders will start flowing for those waiting. Hope this helps
    I'm new to this. My husband was just approved to cross train into FE. I was wondering if anyone has been assigned to C5's or 130's, if so what are their schedules/rotations like? Has anyone been stationed at Dover? How was it? Thanks!