Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are civilian employers showing bias against National Guard and Reservists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Are civilian employers showing bias against National Guard and Reservists?

Quote Originally Posted by CL Polgen View Post
    Any insight would be much appreciated! How have employers reacted to this? How have you handled the initial conversation? Should I have a plan for all of my work goals and tasks, re-organized around my 9 week absence?
    Having a plan laid out would be a really good start. Still, the white elephant in the room will be what your employer is supposed to do when you deploy for a year.

In your current job part of your intended career? You might want to explain how military service fits in with your career goals and dedication to your employer.

In this economy, I'd hesitate to join the guard/reserve if you already have a job and have no obligation to the military. Unfortunately, military service is not seen as enough of a plus in most employers' book to justify taking the risk of what your current employer will think.

The poster who responded a couple of posts up said it best:

If you want to have a military career, join the active duty; if you want a prosperous civilian career, stay out of the military. The reserves/guard is no longer the place for those who want minimal commitment to the military; it is a very active part of the military structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I'm disappointed to read this, I'm not surprised. I really can't thank you enough for your candor. That said, I know I still might take the risk of jeopardizing my civilian career (or at least the job) to serve. I really can't imagine not joining the Guard or Reserves. Probably a bull-headed decision, but it feels like its what I'm supposed to do.

As for this job as part of my larger career... absolutely. It is. While I understand our reserve forces have been used in very different ways over the past few years than they were in previous decades, I find it sad and troubling that we have the option, but that there is such a tendency to punish those who choose to serve (even if only part-time). Oh well.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome home solder; WAIT! I need those nail clipper you got before you board...M-16 is ok...