Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two-star fired from running top secret program office; under multiple IG investigatio

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Two-star fired from running top secret program office; under multiple IG investigatio

A groundbreaking female fighter pilot was fired from her current job as director of the Defense Department’s Special Access Programs Central Office — which manages and oversees some of the military’s most secretive classified programs — and is under several inspector general investigations. Maj. Gen. Dawn Dunlop is no longer running SAPCO, and is now serving as a special assistant to Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Seve Wilson, DoD spokesman Lt. Col. Mike Andrews confirmed in an emailed statement to Air Force Times, .

Air Force Times has also learned from a knowledgeable source that multiple ongoing IG investigations convinced Pentagon leadership that Dunlop needed to be removed. Dunlop also may be considering retirement.

It is not apparent exactly what Dunlop is being investigated for, and she was not available for comment by press time.

But another source with knowledge of the office, who asked not to be identified, said Dunlop fostered a toxic work environment. Dunlop would call senior leaders from the services “idiots,” he said, and would directly call people from the Army and Air Force and scream at them on the phone.

The source said that things reached a boiling point May 31, when Dunlop lost her temper in a meeting with senior Air Force civilians. An Air Force civilian immediately told Ellen Lord, the Pentagon’s top acquisition official, about the situation in the office, the source said, and Lord walked over to the SAPCO office and removed Dunlop.
    It seems like to me, whenever a senior female leader gets removed from a position, it's almost always because of toxic work environment...

Whenever a male leader is removed, it's usually something involving sex/unprofessional relationships.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    It seems like to me, whenever a senior female leader gets removed from a position, it's almost always because of toxic work environment...

Whenever a male leader is removed, it's usually something involving sex/unprofessional relationships.
    Brig Gen Carl Buhler , ACC/A4 was fired due mostly to a toxic work environment. No claims of sexual harassment or unprofessional relationship related to his firing. But yeah, I think otherwise your statement is pretty true. I've known a lot of male officers to get fired for getting involved with enlisted women in their command. It never ends well for their careers.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 06-11-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agree on the female part / observation, from what I have seen for males it is about 50/50 ... but the sex stuff is a better headline and (IMO) is talked about more.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post

The only thing about this story that I don't understand is Ellen Lord, the Pentagon's top acquisition official, removed Maj. Gen. Dunlop. I'm not up on the organizational structure of the Pentagon but shouldn't her removal have been by either the Joint Chief of Staff, the Air Force Chief of Staff, or the Secretary of Defense.?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The only thing about this story that I don't understand is Ellen Lord, the Pentagon's top acquisition official, removed Maj. Gen. Dunlop. I'm not up on the organizational structure of the Pentagon but shouldn't her removal have been by either the Joint Chief of Staff, the Air Force Chief of Staff, or the Secretary of Defense.?
    I'm not familiar enough either...I'd just assume that the person that removed her had the authority and responsibility to do so.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ellen Lord is the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment, MajGen Dunlop was working in Acquisitions ... the particular job Dunlop was doing was in Acquisitions ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ...but shouldn't her removal have been by either the Joint Chief of Staff, the Air Force Chief of Staff, or the Secretary of Defense.?
    I'm assuming you meant the Chairman of the JCS, as the CSAF is a member of the JCS. Anyway, Ellen Lord was Dunlop's boss. And technically, she 'outranks' anyone who wears the uniform, which of course includes the CJCS.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    And technically, she 'outranks' anyone who wears the uniform, which of course includes the CJCS.
    Rainmaker's heard many GS-15s refer to themselves as a "Colonel equivalent", over the years..... But, in all his days, never heard a single O-6 refer to himself as a "GS-15 equivalent"....
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I'm assuming you meant the Chairman of the JCS, as the CSAF is a member of the JCS. Anyway, Ellen Lord was Dunlop's boss. And technically, she 'outranks' anyone who wears the uniform, which of course includes the CJCS.
    What I was thinking was a long the lines that since Ford was a two-star general the firing of someone with that rank should have been made by a higher ranking military member rather than a civilian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I was thinking was a long the lines that since Ford was a two-star general the firing of someone with that rank should have been made by a higher ranking military member rather than a civilian.
    Most work in the Pentagon isn't 'war fighting' but acquisitions, program management, requirements and resourcing ($$$) (man, train, equip) etc. Most of the heads for that are senior civilians (either DoD SESs or folks like Asst Secretaries, Under Secretaries etc.)