Thread: Marine colonel calls suicide ‘shameful,' cites ‘godless age’ and calls on Marines to

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Marine colonel calls suicide ‘shameful,' cites ‘godless age’ and calls on Marines to

Now, a Marine commander has decided to push the top Marine’s message a bit further by calling suicide “shameful."
    In an email he sent to staff, which was obtained by Marine Corps Times, Col. Dom D. Ford, the commander of Marine Corps Communication-Electronics School at Twentynine Palms, California, called on Marines “to read more scripture” to boost their religious and spiritual wellness and help combat the suicide epidemic.

“Suicide is a shameful act. Period. Getting help is not,” Ford wrote to Marines under his command. "Life isn’t fair, and every day won’t be rainbows and sunshine.”

The colonel explained in the email that increased mental health issues may be a “byproduct” of a “godless age” amid a “rapid cultural and technological shift” that has resulted in a “less spiritually fit” populace. To address the problem, Ford says, people should “spend less time in front of a screen," put down their smartphones, “send flowers instead of an emoji," go out more, “attend a religious service — more than once” and to read scripture."

Spiritual fitness has been shown to be an important part of overall well-being and promotes mission readiness,” officials at Training and Education Command told Marine Corps Times in an emailed statement regarding Ford’s email.
    “However, the Marine Corps does not promote any specific religious tradition or practice. While religion may play an important role for some individuals in their spiritual development, it is not the only way to be spiritually fit. The practice of religious beliefs is a personal decision,” the TECOM officials wrote.

While spiritual fitness and faith have been consistent themes among the Corps’ leaders when discussing the suicide crisis, religion has rarely been invoked.

That is in part due to its potential to impact the perceptions of troops who may question the impartiality of commanders who are charged with leading troops who hold varying religious beliefs, or are atheists.

Read more: https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ore-scripture/

From the National Institute of Health:

...The existence of a relationship specifically between suicide and religion has been well-documented in numerous reviews [5, 7, 1215]. Most studies reveal that increased religiosity protects against suicide...
    Conclusion

Religion plays a protective role against suicide in a majority of settings where suicide research is conducted. However, this effect varies based on the cultural and religious context. Therefore, public health professionals need to strongly consider the current social and religious atmosphere of a given population when designing suicide prevention strategies.

read more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482518/
    This is sort of interesting. Would not be surprised if the commander gets an attitude correction for his apparent proselytizing....

But....public health officials may agree that promoting religion may be an effective suicide prevention.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    From the National Institute of Health:

This is sort of interesting. Would not be surprised if the commander gets an attitude correction for his apparent proselytizing....

But....public health officials may agree that promoting religion may be an effective suicide prevention.

No doubt he'll get attacked for proselytizing, because he's pointing towards Christianity specifically as the solution. In reality, it's not "religion" that is effective, but rather the belief in a higher power, forces, influence, purpose, etc that gives many reason to continue on when they feel no other reason to. That's what they should be promoting, because that's what's at the heart of any religion or non-religious spiritual belief.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 06-10-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't disagree with what the Col said ... but in a mass message to his staff; that isn't appropriate.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I don't disagree with what the Col said ... but in a mass message to his staff; that isn't appropriate.
    ...but, if it saves one life....

Yeah, I dunno...I like the clash of values on this one. I just find it interesting...what if, violating the rules on appropriateness really does save a life?

I like when data rejects dogma.

I'm not suggesting this message is saving lives, really, but, hey, he's giving it a try and probably sincerely believes what he is saying...and at cursory glance, the science may support it.

Even if you say, OK, well he can't push Christianity....we have to admit, that if there is that one life out there teetering...odds are they have have a Christian background of some type and maybe can relate to this message. If he sends the "seek your spiritual readiness in your own way..." type message, maybe it doesn't resonate with anyone.

Just being hypothetical here
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 06-11-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    ...but, if it saves one life....

Yeah, I dunno...I like the clash of values on this one. I just find it interesting...what if, violating the rules on appropriateness really does save a life?

I like when data rejects dogma.

I'm not suggesting this message is saving lives, really, but, hey, he's giving it a try and probably sincerely believes what he is saying...and at cursory glance, the science may support it.

Even if you say, OK, well he can't push Christianity....we have to admit, that if there is that one life out there teetering...odds are they have have a Christian background of some type and maybe can relate to this message. If he sends the "seek your spiritual readiness in your own way..." type message, maybe it doesn't resonate with anyone.

Just being hypothetical here
    I get it ... as @FLAPS said, I think he could have gotten across what he was trying to say, in a very similar way to what he actually said and not made it seem as proselytizing.

If what he said in the email was relayed in a one on one conversation, counseling etc. I think that is a very different / more acceptable thing. To do it en masse ... while well intentioned ... I don't think is appropriate.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I get it ... as @FLAPS said, I think he could have gotten across what he was trying to say, in a very similar way to what he actually said and not made it seem as proselytizing.

If what he said in the email was relayed in a one on one conversation, counseling etc. I think that is a very different / more acceptable thing. To do it en masse ... while well intentioned ... I don't think is appropriate.
    I'm not disagreeing with you.

I just find the "appropriate" vs. "effective" interesting....what would we or should we do if we if data shows that inappropriate is effective?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    . As an atheist, had I read his email I would have been immediately turned-off of his message.
    Well the Pentagon's annual LGBT Pride month celebration is a turn-off, to the rest of us, normal people.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.