Thread: Does Uncle Sam Really Want You?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Does Uncle Sam Really Want You?

https://www.additudemag.com/uncle-sam-doesnt-want-you/

Since we're on the topic of disorders, I thought I would post this as a rebuttal regarding LGBT and military service.

ADHD has long been a potential military disqualifying condition; however, if undiagnosed, one can enter the military.

I long suspected I had ADHD; however, led a very successful career and even got commissioned before I was officially diagnosed with ADHD.

With that, I put this standard to the test that this is considered a mentally disqualifying condition; however, we're suggesting to let gender identity disorders and gender dysphoria into military service.

I'm not saying that someone with such a disorder can't lead a successful career; however, this would be a double standard if we were to reject a person based on ADHD.

Gender identity disorder and gender dysphoria are pre-existing conditions which one KNOWS. ADHD is not necessarily a pre-exisiting diagnosis.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I agree that ADHD should not be disqualifying for military service.

I imagine that they could simply make ADHD disqualifying from certain MOS/rating/AFSC where safety is an important issue - for example, any job that entails the operation of heavy machinery, or anything where looking the other way could cause serious injury or death.

But there's no reason why someone with ADHD can't turn wrenches or anything else.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I agree that ADHD should not be disqualifying for military service.

I imagine that they could simply make ADHD disqualifying from certain MOS/rating/AFSC where safety is an important issue - for example, any job that entails the operation of heavy machinery, or anything where looking the other way could cause serious injury or death.

But there's no reason why someone with ADHD can't turn wrenches or anything else.
    Concur Rusty!

There are a lot of people in the military with undiagnosed ADHD and have lead very successful careers. I see no reason why even diagnosed they should be deterred from the military. It wouldn't matter for a draft so why should it matter now?

Of course I probably just opened a new can of worms with that one... the transgender draft.