Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Meet the Fort Meade trans women fighting the military’s ban

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Meet the Fort Meade trans women fighting the military’s ban

    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...militarys-ban/

    Great! Now we're calling it gender dysphoria and gender identity disorder.

    Key word: Disorder!!! This is considered a pre-existing condition which the VA should not compensate. We can't have a bunch of MASH episodes with Klinger running around trying to figure out what sex they want or just trying to get a discharge for VA benefits.

    As long as they are recognizing it as a disorder, let's treat it as such as ban them from the military as they have banned other disorders from military service. This is no exception!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...militarys-ban/

    Great! Now we're calling it gender dysphoria and gender identity disorder.

    Key word: Disorder!!! This is considered a pre-existing condition which the VA should not compensate. We can't have a bunch of MASH episodes with Klinger running around trying to figure out what sex they want or just trying to get a discharge for VA benefits.

    As long as they are recognizing it as a disorder, let's treat it as such as ban them from the military as they have banned other disorders from military service. This is no exception!
    Klinger was laughed at for trying to get kicked out this way. Today Klinger would be celebrated with his own 'month,' and anyone laughing would be labeled as a bigot.

  3. #3
    Senior Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Klinger was laughed at for trying to get kicked out this way. Today Klinger would be celebrated with his own 'month,' and anyone laughing would be labeled as a bigot.
    How true that is!!!

  4. #4
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Klinger was laughed at for trying to get kicked out this way. Today Klinger would be celebrated with his own 'month,' and anyone laughing would be labeled as a bigot.
    I got the impression no one at the 4077th paid him much mind ... thinking he was 1. full of crap, 2. he still did his job.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #5
    Senior Member meatbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    murica
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here we go again...

    You guys do realize that Kristin Beck, one of the Seal Team 6 badasses, is transgender, right? Go tell one of the Seals who took out Bin Laden that they should never have served and were unfit for duty because you guys refuse to educate yourself on a subject that makes you uncomfortable.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    Here we go again...

    You guys do realize that Kristin Beck, one of the Seal Team 6 badasses, is transgender, right? Go tell one of the Seals who took out Bin Laden that they should never have served and were unfit for duty because you guys refuse to educate yourself on a subject that makes you uncomfortable.
    Who ever said it made me uncomfortable? I'm merely pointing out the fact it's considered a "dysphoria" and "disorder." Like many other disqualifying disorders (As mentioned with ADHD) we turn away highly potential candidates because of this disability yet we're willing to make an exception for people with gender identity disorder and/or gender dysphoria?

    My comfort factor is not an issue here. I work with a couple of transgenders as we speak (type) and they do a fabulous job. I also have a good rapport with both of them. This is merely a point of pre-existing conditions.

  7. #7
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    Who ever said it made me uncomfortable? I'm merely pointing out the fact it's considered a "dysphoria" and "disorder." Like many other disqualifying disorders (As mentioned with ADHD) we turn away highly potential candidates because of this disability yet we're willing to make an exception for people with gender identity disorder and/or gender dysphoria?

    My comfort factor is not an issue here. I work with a couple of transgenders as we speak (type) and they do a fabulous job. I also have a good rapport with both of them. This is merely a point of pre-existing conditions.
    For military entrance, many "disorders" are disqualifying; previous exhibitions of some of these if under control and 'sufficient time has passed since manifestation' are allowable ... not just an exception for gender dysphoria etc.

    For disorders exhibited after accession, it comes down to if the issue is manageable within the bounds of military service (PTSD, anxiety disorder, some personality disorders etc.)

    My concern with gender dysphoria and the recent back and forth on the policy is that the policy reversal does not seem to be based on either medical advice (AMA and military surgeon generals) nor the advice of the service chiefs, CJCS nor then-SECDEF. Granted, it is POTUSs prerogative to go against their advice (elections have consequences) ... but when there is unanimous advice from the service chiefs that the issue is not a hindrance to readiness, a cost issue (we spend more on Viagra) etc. it seems like it is just a play for the base vice the best interests of readiness, lethality etc.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    Here we go again...

    You guys do realize that Kristin Beck, one of the Seal Team 6 badasses, is transgender, right? Go tell one of the Seals who took out Bin Laden that they should never have served and were unfit for duty because you guys refuse to educate yourself on a subject that makes you uncomfortable.
    From Wikipedia:

    "Beck retired from the Navy in 2011 with final rating as Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator when she began transitioning by dressing as a woman."

    In other words, Christopher Beck (aka "Kristin") was NOT displaying symptoms of his mental disorder until after leaving the military.



  9. #9
    Senior Member meatbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    murica
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    From Wikipedia:

    "Beck retired from the Navy in 2011 with final rating as Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator when she began transitioning by dressing as a woman."

    In other words, Christopher Beck (aka "Kristin") was NOT displaying symptoms of his mental disorder until after leaving the military.


    So you seriously think that Beck simply suddenly decided that he wanted to transition after leaving service? Wow, you once again display your ignorance. If you actually knew about Kristin Beck, then you would know that, as a male, he felt trapped in the wrong body since grade school. He didn't suddenly decide or "display symptoms of a mental disorder" right after leaving service. He had always felt that way but chose not to transition until after retirement! They even made a documentary about it! Christ.... There are interviews where Beck even talks about this.

    Nice quick Wikipedia reference, though. Lol! Like I've said about a hundred times to you, freaking educate yourself before spouting garbage.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    you guys refuse to educate yourself on a subject that makes you uncomfortable.
    Here's your shot meatbringer. If a person is born as a male and later changes his name to a female's, starts wearing female clothing, and insists he is now a female, is this person pretending to be a female, or is this person now an actual female?

    Can you educate me, or are you going to insist that I read a book or otherwise find the answer somewhere else. If you do the later, then I guess it's safe to assume that you don't really know the answer.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 05-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •