PDA

View Full Version : How far can one jump?

garhkal
04-09-2019, 03:36 AM
OK. Over on one of my gaming related forums, someone's wondering, how far an "adventurer" back in the medieval days could jump. Someone suggested "treat it like a man these days, fully kitted out in their army gear could."
So with just basic body armor and basic small kit on, how far, ON AVERAGE could a healthy adult in the army jump (both up and horizontal)? What about with FULL kit on?

LogDog
04-09-2019, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=garhkal;372000]OK. Over on one of my gaming related forums, someone's wondering, how far an "adventurer" back in the medieval days could jump. Someone suggested "treat it like a man these days, fully kitted out in their army gear could."
So with just basic body armor and basic small kit on, how far, ON AVERAGE could a healthy adult in the army jump (both up and horizontal)? What about with FULL kit on?[/QUOTE
Interesting question. How much the body armor and kit weigh will limit the jump distance. Just taking a WAG I'd say it would probably decrease a person's jumping distance by at least 25%.

As to someone from medieval days that would be a different story. Back then, people were smaller but their daily lives required more labor intensive effort than our lives today. This means their muscle strength would be greater than ours today so I'd say they would be able to jump a bit better.

garhkal
04-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Which would be what?? 5ft vice 4? 8f vice 6?

SeaLawyer
04-10-2019, 10:54 AM
"What is the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?"

Mjölnir
04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
"What is the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?"

88mph ... then you are going to see some serious shit

SeaLawyer
04-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Yes! From Monty Python and the Holy Grail to Back to the Future!

Excellent transition!

garhkal
04-12-2019, 06:19 PM
I am being serious here guys..

Mjölnir
04-14-2019, 06:24 PM
I am being serious here guys..

Someone wouldn't really be able to jump too far.

The USMC obstacle course wall is 6 feet tall. I was in pretty good shape and with just basic gear, I get over the wall (jumping to get a boost) pretty easy. In full gear, no way without aid or a rope to use.

For horizontal, probably 8 feet in regular gear, 4-6 in full gear.

garhkal
04-14-2019, 07:43 PM
Someone wouldn't really be able to jump too far.

The USMC obstacle course wall is 6 feet tall. I was in pretty good shape and with just basic gear, I get over the wall (jumping to get a boost) pretty easy. In full gear, no way without aid or a rope to use.

For horizontal, probably 8 feet in regular gear, 4-6 in full gear.

What about from a standing position?

Mjölnir
04-14-2019, 08:14 PM
What about from a standing position?

Not too different. That stuff is heavy.