PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Retirement

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Do you have an interesting topic you'd like to discuss?

"Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.

Rainmaker
02-15-2019, 08:36 PM
"Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.

Sounds like Buddihst-Hippie nonsense or you have experienced a loss of purpose.

Maybe try getting off your ass, clearing the driveway & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Retirement is better than advertised. I've been retired for 16 years and I don't miss working and that's something because I was a workaholic. The key to retirement, other than financially being able to do it, is to have things you can enjoy doing to keep you busy or entertained. Some people, like you, like to fish while other like to travel. Me, I like to do pleasure reading in that I was to busy while in the service to do much reading. Since I retired, I've read over 300 books of various genre with more interest in crime/police stories and science fiction. I'm currently reading the trilogy by Gillian Anderson, of [/i]The X-Files[/i] TV series, and I have three books on "hold" from the local library which is the source or 95% of my reading. I also like to bowl and I'm in two bowling leagues with averages of 192 &193 at two different bowling centers. This past Wednesday, I was on fire shooting a 705 (235 average) series which is the first 700 series I've shot in about three years. I also meet a couple of fellow retirees on Tuesday at a bowling alley to shoot the breeze and practice my bowling.

I agree with you, if you can afford to retire do so.

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Maybe try getting off your ass & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.

If spending the majority of my life hunting and fishing is "Buddhist Hippie nonsense" then you know something about Buddhism and Hippies that I don't. I know my purpose. Enjoying family and life. Sorry that's not enough to fill the hole in your life. Sorry you need to keep on trudging through the daily bullshit still trying to find your purpose. I can't help you with that.

You're not boring, you're just repetitive.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Maybe try getting off your ass, clearing the driveway & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.
He's not citing Buddhist-Hippie nonsense but he's embracing the the karma that comes from retirement. One day, you'll get there and accept this lifestyle and embrace the retiree's motto: "Free, take one."

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Retirement is better than advertised. I've been retired for 16 years and I don't miss working and that's something because I was a workaholic. The key to retirement, other than financially being able to do it, is to have things you can enjoy doing to keep you busy or entertained. Some people, like you, like to fish while other like to travel. Me, I like to do pleasure reading in that I was to busy while in the service to do much reading. Since I retired, I've read over 300 books of various genre with more interest in crime/police stories and science fiction. I'm currently reading the trilogy by Gillian Anderson, of [/i]The X-Files[/i] TV series, and I have three books on "hold" from the local library which is the source or 95% of my reading. I also like to bowl and I'm in two bowling leagues with averages of 192 &193 at two different bowling centers. This past Wednesday, I was on fire shooting a 705 (235 average) series which is the first 700 series I've shot in about three years. I also meet a couple of fellow retirees on Tuesday at a bowling alley to shoot the breeze and practice my bowling.

I agree with you, if you can afford to retire do so.

Sounds pretty awesome.

I wasn't aware she was an author. Does she write Sci-Fi or something completely different.

Could never get over about a 165 average, which I was happy with. Thankfully I was pretty consistent. My wife, on the other hand, had a 125, which is fine, except that it was usually an 80, a 125, and a 170, lol. Was always a lot of fun, though. Probably been 3 years since we've been.

Rainmaker
02-15-2019, 09:05 PM
If spending the majority of my life hunting and fishing is "Buddhist Hippie nonsense" then you know something about Buddhism and Hippies that I don't. I know my purpose. Enjoying family and life. Sorry that's not enough to fill the hole in your life. Sorry you need to keep on trudging through the daily bullshit still trying to find your purpose. I can't help you with that.

You're not boring, you're just repetitive.

Ice fishing doesn't interest me.... Post the amount of $ in your bank account & photo of the chicks you get to bang and we'll see who's trudging thru life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPjKSVe1tQ

Rainmaker
02-15-2019, 09:12 PM
He's not citing Buddhist-Hippie nonsense but he's embracing the the karma"
Pfft......

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Ice fishing doesn't interest me.... Post the amount of $ in your bank account & photo of the chicks you get to bang and we'll see who's trudging thru life!

Who writes this stuff for you? It's good stuff, really. It's so over the top that I can't even pretend to take you seriously.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Sounds pretty awesome.

I wasn't aware she was an author. Does she write Sci-Fi or something completely different.
She writes scifi and her novels are co-written with another author Jeff Rovin. I finished the first novel Tuesday and I started on the second one yesterday. I like her (their) style of writing in that it is easy to understand and the books flow smoothly kind of like when you're reading it and you see it as a movies running in your mind.

Could never get over about a 165 average, which I was happy with. Thankfully I was pretty consistent. My wife, on the other hand, had a 125, which is fine, except that it was usually an 80, a 125, and a 170, lol. Was always a lot of fun, though. Probably been 3 years since we've been.
The keys in bowling bowling are knowing the position of your arm, hand, fingers, shoulders, and feet from your first step to the release and follow through. All this takes concentration and practice, practice, and more practice. After you've gotten these to a consistent level then you have to figure out where on the lane (dots or arrows) you deliver the ball, the speed of the ball, how much hook to put on/off the ball, the amount or ball rotation, and where the break-point (where the balls stops skidding and grips the lane breaking for the headpin) should be. Also, throughout bowling you have to watch how your ball reacts and make minor corrections to account for the lane oil drying up or moving down the lane. One friend of mine simplifies it by saying bowling is dependent upon Speed, rotation, and angle. Bowling a high score is more complicated than people think it is.

My father taught me and my five siblings how to bowl and I still use his instructions to teach beginners. During league play, we talk about what problems we're having and how to correct them. Immediate feedback from experienced bowlers is helpful. The other good thing about bowling, especially in a league, is it's a social function as well as a sporting (competition) activity in which people from all ages can take part. In one league, the ages range from 19 - 92 years of age and one of the hardest teams to beat is the one with the 92-year old and his three teammates who are all over 70.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Pfft......
Some people just want to throw bricks and fan the flames of fire against those who enjoy life.

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 10:09 PM
She writes scifi and her novels are co-written with another author Jeff Rovin. I finished the first novel Tuesday and I started on the second one yesterday. I like her (their) style of writing in that it is easy to understand and the books flow smoothly kind of like when you're reading it and you see it as a movies running in your mind. Might have to pick some up.

The keys in bowling bowling are knowing the position of your arm, hand, fingers, shoulders, and feet from your first step to the release and follow through. All this takes concentration and practice, practice, and more practice. After you've gotten these to a consistent level then you have to figure out where on the lane (dots or arrows) you deliver the ball, the speed of the ball, how much hook to put on/off the ball, the amount or ball rotation, and where the break-point (where the balls stops skidding and grips the lane breaking for the headpin) should be. Also, throughout bowling you have to watch how your ball reacts and make minor corrections to account for the lane oil drying up or moving down the lane. One friend of mine simplifies it by saying bowling is dependent upon Speed, rotation, and angle. Bowling a high score is more complicated than people think it is.

My father taught me and my five siblings how to bowl and I still use his instructions to teach beginners. During league play, we talk about what problems we're having and how to correct them. Immediate feedback from experienced bowlers is helpful. The other good thing about bowling, especially in a league, is it's a social function as well as a sporting (competition) activity in which people from all ages can take part. In one league, the ages range from 19 - 92 years of age and one of the hardest teams to beat is the one with the 92-year old and his three teammates who are all over 70.Yeah, it's always been a lot like golf for me. I never practiced/played enough to get any better than the 165 average or the 18 handicap. Once a week or every two weeks isn't nearly enough to get over the hump.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 10:46 PM
Might have to pick some up.
If you have a good local library, they should have it. I recommend the library because you can check them out for free plus there are very few books I like to keep after I read them.

Yeah, it's always been a lot like golf for me. I never practiced/played enough to get any better than the 165 average or the 18 handicap. Once a week or every two weeks isn't nearly enough to get over the hump.
I tried golf when I was active duty. I had the clubs and would go to the driving range to practice. I was good on the range but the lowest I ever got on a course was 100. Of course, there were some good shots I made but they were too few to make a difference. I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive if you weren't at a base or city course. Where I live, the city golf course is part of San Diego Port Authority and the agreement the city has with them is to run the course as a non-profit operation. This means the fees are low ($40 weekends/holidays and $37 weekdays) yet there are over 100,000 rounds played a year and the course is in great condition. A night of bowling cost me no more than $16 and at the end of the season I get prize money back so the overall cost is lower.

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 10:53 PM
I tried golf when I was active duty. I had the clubs and would go to the driving range to practice. I was good on the range but the lowest I ever got on a course was 100. Of course, there were some good shots I made but they were too few to make a difference. I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive if you weren't at a base or city course. Where I live, the city golf course is part of San Diego Port Authority and the agreement the city has with them is to run the course as a non-profit operation. This means the fees are low ($40 weekends/holidays and $37 weekdays) yet there are over 100,000 rounds played a year and the course is in great condition. A night of bowling cost me no more than $16 and at the end of the season I get prize money back so the overall cost is lower.

It definitely gets expensive. Luckily there's a small 9 hole course close to me. I do only play twice (sometimes 3 times) a month or so because of the cost, so it's not enough to ever get any better. I have a fairly nice set of clubs. What's funny about golf, though, is the equipment doesn't really matter until you really know what you're doing. I know guys who have $2000 sets of clubs that shoot the same as I do.

I actually pay club fees, which gets me entered into all the tournaments, so we get to win money back, too. But it's definitely far more expensive than bowling.

LogDog
02-15-2019, 11:11 PM
It definitely gets expensive. Luckily there's a small 9 hole course close to me. I do only play twice (sometimes 3 times) a month or so because of the cost, so it's not enough to ever get any better. I have a fairly nice set of clubs. What's funny about golf, though, is the equipment doesn't really matter until you really know what you're doing. I know guys who have $2000 sets of clubs that shoot the same as I do.

I actually pay club fees, which gets me entered into all the tournaments, so we get to win money back, too. But it's definitely far more expensive than bowling.
Bowling and golf have one similarity in common; once you buy the equipment you're set for a couple of years. I usually buy a new bowling ball ever couple of years because the technology of the ball changes depending upon the lane conditions. My price range is usually $150 - $200 for a ball. My latest ball ran $200 for a high performance ball with a high hook potential. I'm still learning how to throw it after I bought it nine months ago. Of course, you could get luck like I did and win two balls in raffles. The local USBC held a ball raffle for the Blind Veterans League so I bought $15 in tickets and won an $125 ball. At another bowling center the pro-shop held a ball of your choice raffle for $5 a ticket and once 50 tickets were sold they pick a winner and I won buying only one ticket. When I showed up to the pro-shop to verify I had won they left me pick out which one I wanted. I had a tablet with me and I took about 20 minutes to look up the specs on a couple of balls I was interested. I gave them my choice and they measured my hand and the drilling layout I wanted and drilled it there on the spot. I still have both balls and I use them when conditions warrent them. BTW, I carry four balls to the bowling alley but there are two balls I use 90% of the time.

AF sgt
02-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Bowling and golf have one similarity in common; once you buy the equipment you're set for a couple of years. I usually buy a new bowling ball ever couple of years because the technology of the ball changes depending upon the lane conditions. My price range is usually $150 - $200 for a ball. My latest ball ran $200 for a high performance ball with a high hook potential. I'm still learning how to throw it after I bought it nine months ago. Of course, you could get luck like I did and win two balls in raffles. The local USBC held a ball raffle for the Blind Veterans League so I bought $15 in tickets and won an $125 ball. At another bowling center the pro-shop held a ball of your choice raffle for $5 a ticket and once 50 tickets were sold they pick a winner and I won buying only one ticket. When I showed up to the pro-shop to verify I had won they left me pick out which one I wanted. I had a tablet with me and I took about 20 minutes to look up the specs on a couple of balls I was interested. I gave them my choice and they measured my hand and the drilling layout I wanted and drilled it there on the spot. I still have both balls and I use them when conditions warrent them. BTW, I carry four balls to the bowling alley but there are two balls I use 90% of the time.

I spent $300 on a set of clubs about 12 years ago and still use them. Like I said earlier, it's not the equipment that fails me. If I buy a driver with more distance, that just means I'm gonna slice it further. lol.

As far as bowling, our bowling alley in the small area we're in still has wooden lanes. LOL. It's kind of a cool place, but don't really have to worry about the changing oil patterns or anything as I don't think the owner knows how to change the settings to change the pattern (assuming his machine isn't too old to have different patterns).

LogDog
02-15-2019, 11:39 PM
I spent $300 on a set of clubs about 12 years ago and still use them. Like I said earlier, it's not the equipment that fails me. If I buy a driver with more distance, that just means I'm gonna slice it further. lol.
With me, I could slice with a $50 driver or a $300 driver. Now you see why I gave it up.

As far as bowling, our bowling alley in the small area we're in still has wooden lanes. LOL. It's kind of a cool place, but don't really have to worry about the changing oil patterns or anything as I don't think the owner knows how to change the settings to change the pattern (assuming his machine isn't too old to have different patterns).
Where I live, one of the bowling alleys has wooden lanes and I only bowl on them during tournaments. Most bowling alleys usually has a "typical" house-shot pattern they use throughout the year. The one on the base I bowl at puts out a modified "typical" house-shot for leagues and a sports-shot pattern for those bowling in an All-Navy league. I know the head mechanic and he does a good job keeping the equipment operating. He tears down and cleans the machine that dresses the lanes apart about once a month whereas most alleys do it maybe once or twice a year. Another factor is who own/runs the lanes. If you have a local owner who is an avid bowler chances are the lanes will be well taken care of. The ones operated by a corporation tend to be worse because they're only interested in making more money from open bowlers than from league bowlers.

FLAPS
02-16-2019, 11:55 AM

I too don't work, and haven't since I quit my 60+ hour per week management job. My wife is much younger and has a good career that she loves, so with my active duty pension I never really needed to work. People thought I was nuts for quitting a full time job with fancy job title, and still say, "you're too young to retire!" What they really mean is, the mandated retirement age for social security is 65, so you NEED to do your time just like the rest of us. So yeah, I guess I could keep punching the time clock until age 65, hoping that I'll actually be healthy enough to enjoy a retirement at that age....that is if I live that long. Too many people I've known over my life never made it out of their 50's, even though they had huge retirement plans for after 65. I say eff that, enjoy your free time if you can afford to. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, whatsoever.

As for paying attention to the news, I took your advice from before and now it's been two weeks since I haven't tuned in. I was watching FOX and listening to talk radio daily for years, so I thought it would be tough going without. Surprisingly, it's been easy and my stress levels have dropped significantly. Ignorance is bliss. You can't get 'outraged' over the opposing political party's latest words/actions if you don't tune in to begin with!

Mjölnir
02-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Y'all care if I split the retirement posts from the voter disenfranchisement thread?

FLAPS
02-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Y'all care if I split the retirement posts from the voter disenfranchisement thread?

sounds like a plan

AF sgt
02-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Works for me.

LogDog
02-16-2019, 05:32 PM
& some people want to hijack the thread... when they are called out on the absurdity of their claims.
No hijack of this thread. We (AF sgt and I) got diverted onto another onto another line of thought. It's important to know your terms.

Texas Sec. of State: 58K non-US citizens voted in Texas elections...

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/texas-sec-of-state-58k-non-us-citizens-voted-in-texas-elections
This is from you source above:

Texas' embattled election chief has apologized over an inaccurate list of 95,000 people on the voter rolls flagged as possible non-U.S. citizens, and a Senate committee postponed a vote Thursday on his nomination — a signal his job could be in jeopardy.

"I recognize this caused some confusion about our intentions, which were at all times aimed at maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the voter rolls," Whitley wrote. "To the extent my actions missed that mark, I apologize."

Texas officials say they matched registered voters against records of noncitizens with state IDs. But they failed to exclude scores of people who legally cast ballots only after becoming U.S. citizens.
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/texas-election-chief-apologizes-over-flawed-noncitizen-list
(https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/texas-election-chief-apologizes-over-flawed-noncitizen-list)

Rainmaker
02-16-2019, 05:44 PM
If you have a good local library, they should have it. I recommend the library because you can check them out for free.

I tried golf when I was active duty.

I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive.

A night of bowling cost me no more than $16

LogDog , sounds like You may be suffering from Wilson's Syndrome....... a condition in which able-bodied individuals sit for days or weeks without completing any task.

https://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/ebook/signs-and-symptoms-and-how-they-made-the-list/motivationambition-decreased/

Fortunately, It's reversible.....Please seek Help.

AF sgt
02-16-2019, 06:07 PM
@LogDog (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=7719) , sounds like You may be suffering from Wilson's Syndrome....... a condition in which able-bodied individuals sit for days or weeks without completing any task.

https://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/ebook/signs-and-symptoms-and-how-they-made-the-list/motivationambition-decreased/

self-im·por·tant
/ˈˌself əmˈpôrtnt/

adjective

having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance.

Fortunately, it's reversible.....Please seek Help.

LogDog
02-16-2019, 06:47 PM
@LogDog (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=7719) , sounds like You may be suffering from Wilson's Syndrome....... a condition in which able-bodied individuals sit for days or weeks without completing any task.

Now you're an armchair psychologist among your other dubious achievements. Fortunately, your link doesn't fit me. I have plenty of things to do in retirement but the thing is I can schedule them at my convenience. Between my last post and your pseudo-psychology post I was in the attic of a neighbor checking on possible leaks in the roof. Fortunately, there were none.

For a person who complained about this thread being hijacked it looks like you're the one who hijacked it. Perhaps you should look at this link regarding hypocrisy.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/ambigamy/201709/the-root-all-hypocrisy

Don't think I didn't notice you didn't respond to the link I provided showing the Texas Secretary of State apologized for claiming 58,000 people illegally voted. I think the silence on your part speaks loudly. Wait, I think I did hear something from you.

AF sgt
02-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Now you're an armchair psychologist among your other dubious achievements. Fortunately, your link doesn't fit me. I have plenty of things to do in retirement but the thing is I can schedule them at my convenience. Between my last post and your pseudo-psychology post I was in the attic of a neighbor checking on possible leaks in the roof. Fortunately, there were none.

For a person who complained about this thread being hijacked it looks like you're the one who hijacked it. Perhaps you should look at this link regarding hypocrisy.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/ambigamy/201709/the-root-all-hypocrisy

Don't think I didn't notice you didn't respond to the link I provided showing the Texas Secretary of State apologized for claiming 58,000 people illegally voted. I think the silence on your part speaks loudly. Wait, I think I did hear something from you.

I was wondering if he'd actually read the description of the condition he quoted, since none of the things you mentioned doing involved remaining idle. But as long as it fits his narrative (and by narrative, I mean the script that he, or someone, has written for his character) then it doesn't matter. Oh, and he won't respond. He'll deflect, trying to guide the conversation back to his talking points.

It's classic internet forum/self-important methodology.

LogDog
02-16-2019, 07:05 PM
I was wondering if he'd actually read the description of the condition he quoted, since none of the things you mentioned doing involved remaining idle. But as long as it fits his narrative (and by narrative, I mean the script that he, or someone, has written for his character) then it doesn't matter. Oh, and he won't respond. He'll deflect, trying to guide the conversation back to his talking points.

It's classic internet forum/self-important methodology.
He has serious character flaws which is why he acts the way he does. His shtick grew old long ago but hey, it's the only thing he has going for him to get attention.

retiredAFcivvy
02-16-2019, 11:30 PM
She writes scifi and her novels are co-written with another author Jeff Rovin. I finished the first novel Tuesday and I started on the second one yesterday. I like her (their) style of writing in that it is easy to understand and the books flow smoothly kind of like when you're reading it and you see it as a movies running in your mind.

My father taught me and my five siblings how to bowl and I still use his instructions to teach beginners. During league play, we talk about what problems we're having and how to correct them. Immediate feedback from experienced bowlers is helpful. The other good thing about bowling, especially in a league, is it's a social function as well as a sporting (competition) activity in which people from all ages can take part. In one league, the ages range from 19 - 92 years of age and one of the hardest teams to beat is the one with the 92-year old and his three teammates who are all over 70.

So, I guess the ol melon ball down the center or maybe just between the first and second arrows doesn't cut it! Not sure if you remember Don Carter. To me, he had the slowest delivery, not too much speed, but was obviously a great bowler.

LogDog
02-16-2019, 11:44 PM
So, I guess the ol melon ball down the center or maybe just between the first and second arrows doesn't cut it! Not sure if you remember Don Carter. To me, he had the slowest delivery, not too much speed, but was obviously a great bowler.
A lot of women bowlers (amateurs) bowl down the middle. Most men, especially the higher scoring men, bowl between the first and second arrows (between the 5 and 10 boards) because there is typically less oil allowing for the ball to hook. You’ll see on TV the bowlers standing in the middle or the left side on the approach and throwing the ball across the alley. Their ball is actually crossing over the 5th or 10th boards when it starts to hook.

As for Don Carter, I remember watching him bowl on TV many decades ago. He wasn’t a power bowler like a lot of pros are today but he had a steady, smooth delivery. What I remember most about his style is he would bend his arm on the backswing instead of keeping it straight but for him that was effective. The equipment and lane conditions used when he was on the tour are unlike the ones used today. The balls are more aggressive, the lane conditions and oil patterns harder, and the bowlers today are in better physical condition. Still, I think he’d be able to compete on today’s pro circuit.

AF sgt
02-17-2019, 02:33 AM
A lot of women bowlers (amateurs) bowl down the middle.

My wife is right handed and throws a "straight" ball. Thing is the way she comes through, her hand turns to the right, and the ball breaks slightly right. So after years, she finally figured out how to throw a fairly consistent Brooklyn. Just doesn't carry a lot of pins with the 10 pound ball.

Mjölnir
02-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Thread split

Rainmaker
02-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Don't think I didn't notice you didn't respond to the link I provided

Keep your shirt on Munson..... Rainmaker just overlooked it... Because It was hidden amongst these dozens of riveting posts, about your new bowling ball...

self-im·por·tant
/ˈˌself əmˈpôrtnt/

adjective

having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance.

Fortunately, it's reversible.....Please seek Help.

Thanks Mr. Webster.....How were you ever able to muster up enough energy, to get your head out of your ice-hole and open up the dictionary?

Thread split

Where have you been Commander?....Things are picking back up!!!....Here's the lastest video highlights from AF sgt and LogDog's Saturday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClQyr2koxc

AF sgt
02-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Thanks Mr. Webster.....How were you ever able to muster up enough energy, to get your head out of your ice-hole and open up the dictionary? Figured if you were gonna play Freud then I would play Webster.

Where have you been Commander?....Things are picking back up!!!....Here's the lastest video highlights from AF sgt and LogDog's Saturday night.

And Rainmaker's Saturday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9YPYRaeTW0

Rainmaker
02-17-2019, 04:41 PM
And Rainmaker's Saturday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9YPYRaeTW0

speaking of repetitive......Waaaaaaaa!!! these racists are being mean to me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ....

AF sgt
02-17-2019, 05:08 PM
speaking of repetitive......Waaaaaaaa!!! these racists are being mean to me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ....

Looks like something hit a nerve.

Anyway, back to the topic with LogDog

Last September the wife and I bought a boat. Not a big one. It's a SunTracker with a 60HP Mercury. Very comfortable for fishing for 3 to 4 people. We live very near a lake (Eagle Lake, CA). It's the second largest natural lake in California, and has a very interesting history with it's fish. It only has Rainbow Trout. It has such a high Alkaline level that only native fish can survive. We regularly pull 5-7 pounders out, with the "small" ones being 2 to 3 pounds. They close the lake to fishing from Jan 1 to Memorial day, so the fish can spawn and grow uninterrupted (plus we get so much snow that it's hard for them to maintain the roads and the marina this time of year). No biggy, we have to drive about 45 minutes to another lake.

Can get a little cabin fever in the winter, so we're thinking about taking up snow shoeing or cross country skiing (just for the local area). Elevation is about 5100 ft, so almost anything is a good cardio workout. We're one of about 20 families that stay in the area year round. Most have winter homes elsewhere, but I've got all the free time to shovel out, etc. Just have to make sure we stay stocked up on frozen stuff, in case we can't get out for a few days. It's a great life. Quiet, lots of wildlife, etc.

Rainmaker
02-19-2019, 03:03 AM
Looks like something hit a nerve.

Not hardly Sandsja...uh..i mean (cough
cough)... Sarge

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 04:37 AM
Not hardly Sandsja...uh..i mean (cough
cough)... Sarge

Don't be afraid. Say it. What racist name were you going to call me?

Rainmaker
02-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Don't be afraid. Say it. What racist name were you going to call me?

Don’t push it "Sarge"..... It’s still early in your recovery and relapses are common, in people with your condition (Stage 4 TDS).

You’re already showing signs of relapsing and so it’s imperative that you pull yourself back (instead of sinking deeper into these negative feelings)

But, we simply can’t afford to have any more emotional outbursts from you....e.g. cussing out your fellow posters, threating to rape the forum moderator’s family etc. etc.

See? Everyone understands that your Self-Esteem has taken a hit. What with you failing your last 10 PT tests, being forced into retiring as an underachieving E-6, and then losing your new GS-3 job (teaching 18 year old girls how to check the oil in the generator) and then having to move to a trailer park in the mountains in order to make ends meet.....Sounds Terrible. I know.

Now, hear this: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LET ALL THOSE AWFUL THINGS DEFINE YOU ANYMORE... Because, there’s always tomorrow and you have nowhere to go but up!

Feel free to reach out to your friends here on the MTF, if you need help.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Don’t push it "Sarge"..... It’s still early in your recovery and relapses are common, in people with your condition (Stage 4 TDS).

You’re already showing signs of relapsing and so it’s imperative that you pull yourself back (instead of sinking deeper into these negative feelings)

But, we simply can’t afford to have any more emotional outbursts from you....e.g. cussing out your fellow posters, threating to rape the forum moderator’s family etc. etc.

See? Everyone understands that your Self-Esteem has taken a hit. What with you failing your last 10 PT tests, being forced into retiring as an underachieving E-6, and then losing your new GS-3 job (teaching 18 year old girls how to check the oil in the generator) and then having to move to a trailer park in the mountains in order to make ends meet.....Sounds Terrible. I know.

Now, hear this: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LET ALL THOSE AWFUL THINGS DEFINE YOU ANYMORE... Because, there’s always tomorrow and you have nowhere to go but up!

Feel free to reach out to your friends here on the MTF, if you need help.

I'm not sure what you're rambling about, but you were right about one thing. There are a several trailers in the area up here (I'm guessing you looked it up on Google Maps or something after I mentioned the area) and quite a few RV parks. It's how a lot of people afford a "summer" home when they aren't "year rounders". A lot of other people own them and rent them out for quite a profit. I, myself, have an RV hookup in the from of my 1/2 acre (not huge, but plenty of room) lot that I am able to rent out to people in the summer for a tidy sum.

I actually think you'd like the area. It has a very "militia" type feel to it. Most people here can't stand the thought of minorities, even legal ones, and are always sure to make it clear how many guns they have under their beds.

Rainmaker
02-19-2019, 04:57 PM
I actually think you'd like the area. It has a very "militia" type feel to it. Most people here can't stand the thought of minorities, even legal ones, and are always sure to make it clear how many guns they have under their beds.

You previously stated that you were from Greenville.

Anyhow, Im familiar with the area.

Been thru susanville once. Wife has/had some family in Chico/Paradise

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure what you're rambling about, but you were right about one thing. There are a several trailers in the area up here (I'm guessing you looked it up on Google Maps or something after I mentioned the area) and quite a few RV parks. It's how a lot of people afford a "summer" home when they aren't "year rounders". A lot of other people own them and rent them out for quite a profit. I, myself, have an RV hookup in the from of my 1/2 acre (not huge, but plenty of room) lot that I am able to rent out to people in the summer for a tidy sum.

For some reason he thinks you are a perma-banned poster come back to life.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 05:19 PM
You previously stated that you were from Greenville.

Anyhow, Im familiar with the area.

Been thru susanville once. Wife has/had some family in Chico/Paradise

I've previously only stated I'm from Eagle lake, which is actually in the Susanville zip code. Chico and Paradise are about 3 hours from here. Greenville is about 2 hours. Eagle Lake is technically Susanville, but has 4 different communities. Bucks Bay, Stones Landing, Spalding, and then one other area further away from the lake. All 4 communities have their own identity. Most of them extremely redneck, but it's quiet, especially in the winter. A lot of tourists in the summer (relatively). Not as much as, say, Lake Almanor, Lake Tahoe, or Lake Shasta, as they are on some more major thoroughfares.

I hope the family in Paradise was able to avoid the worst of the fires. Unbelievable what happened there. So sad for the entire community. Had an Aunt who lived in Magalia and lost everything, but luckily got out unharmed. I saw news reports/videos of it just completely engulfing cars trying to get out. Even still, when we go to Chico you can see the destruction along Highway 32.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 05:28 PM

I see. I was wondering what the chip on his shoulder was. I must have done something to upset him. I was wondering why he mentioned something about changing oil on generators.

I spent the early part of my career as a Triple Nickle (555 AFSC, before they changed it) that later got me stuck in CE Customer Service, so I know quite a few Power Production guys. I liked the job much more in the early part, before it turned into being a secretary/phone operator. Of course we did have a huge re-enlistment bonus, so that was nice.

Rainmaker
02-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Please be careful engaging the patient directly. Because, much like waking a sleepwalker, they can harm themselves or others...... Best to let us professionals take it from here.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 05:53 PM
I see. I was wondering what the chip on his shoulder was. I must have done something to upset him. I was wondering why he mentioned something about changing oil on generators.

I spent the early part of my career as a Triple Nickle (555 AFSC, before they changed it) that later got me stuck in CE Customer Service, so I know quite a few Power Production guys. I liked the job much more in the early part, before it turned into being a secretary/phone operator. Of course we did have a huge re-enlistment bonus, so that was nice.

I spent my career as a civilian in contracting and had a lot of interaction with CE customer service. I think it was the Power Pro guys that maintained the generators. They always wrote their specs around Onan. Luckily, they were on GSA contract.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Please be careful engaging the patient directly. Because, much like waking a sleepwalker, they can harm themselves or others...... Best to let us professionals take it from here.

Nah, I'm OK. He's definitely not SJ.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 06:01 PM
I spent my career as a civilian in contracting and had a lot of interaction with CE customer service. I think it was the Power Pro guys that maintained the generators. They always wrote their specs around Onan. Luckily, they were on GSA contract.

I didn't mind Customer Service, but it was just so different than what it started as. When I first started, as a 555, not only did we handle work orders, we also maintained supply/shop stock type stuff for the squadron. Later, it all separated to all the shops handling their own stock, usually with one primary CE "store" that handled all the work order stuff. At some point someone figured it was better/cheaper to have civilians running the store and to have us manning the phones. I guess the biggest change is that when I started, we handled stuff for the squadron, then it turned into handling work orders for the base, with the squadron taking care of their own stuff.

It kind of made it harder, because most shops weren't trained in WIMS/WANG, IWIMS, etc like we were, so we'd end up having to straighten out their stuff too. Oh well, it was a living.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 06:06 PM
I didn't mind Customer Service, but it was just so different than what it started as. When I first started, as a 555, not only did we handle work orders, we also maintained supply/shop stock type stuff for the squadron. Later, it all separated to all the shops handling their own stock, usually with one primary CE "store" that handled all the work order stuff. At some point someone figured it was better/cheaper to have civilians running the store and to have us manning the phones. I guess the biggest change is that when I started, we handled stuff for the squadron, then it turned into handling work orders for the base, with the squadron taking care of their own stuff.

It kind of made it harder, because most shops weren't trained in WIMS/WANG, IWIMS, etc like we were, so we'd end up having to straighten out their stuff too. Oh well, it was a living.

I remember CE talking about WIMS. Our CE ordered most all supplies through COCESS and we wrote and administered the contracts.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 06:10 PM
I remember CE talking about WIMS. Our CE ordered most all supplies through COCESS and we wrote and administered the contracts. We used COCESS too, but it was kind of on its way out. WIMS allowed us to build the work order, put in the parts needed, located the vendor, etc, all in one step. It was ahead of it's time, for 1991/1992. There are still some places out there (a lot of the CE stored) that still rely on it) because of its simplicity.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 06:19 PM
We used COCESS too, but it was kind of on its way out. WIMS allowed us to build the work order, put in the parts needed, located the vendor, etc, all in one step. It was ahead of it's time, for 1991/1992. There are still some places out there (a lot of the CE stored) that still rely on it) because of its simplicity.

I think our base tried something like that using the credit card for payment. It apparently didn't fly as they still have COCESS.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 06:26 PM
I think our base tried something like that using the credit card for payment. It apparently didn't fly as they still have COCESS.

I thought cards were pretty much mandatory, now. I know they were for us. Might have been a base/wing thing.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 06:53 PM
I thought cards were pretty much mandatory, now. I know they were for us. Might have been a base/wing thing.

I think they are for anything under $25K. If I remember, one of the problems with CE was that it would require so many folks to have one that the centralized COCESS process was more efficient. Also, if a base had a COCESS, they were the mandatory source. So to start another system it would require them to not renew the contract and start from scratch. To me that would be quite a bit of risk. But, I'm not a big risk taker.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 06:57 PM
I think they are for anything under $25K. If I remember, one of the problems with CE was that it would require so many folks to have one that the centralized COCESS process was more efficient. Also, if a base had a COCESS, they were the mandatory source. So to start another system it would require them to not renew the contract and start from scratch. To me that would be quite a bit of risk. But, I'm not a big risk taker.

By the time I retired (2015) there were only 2 or 3 people in the squadron with a card. But you're right, 10-15 years ago they gave one to at least every shop lead, just asking for problems. Oh well, those worries are long gone. Today all I have to worry about is if I should shovel the driveway before or after Judge Judy.

Rainmaker
02-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Oh well, those worries are long gone. Today all I have to worry about is if I should shovel the driveway before or after Judge Judy.

These old war stories, from your days of managing the base paperclip store, must've been almost as exciting as watching the snow melt.....No wonder you're so happy to be retired.

AF sgt
02-19-2019, 07:28 PM
These old war stories, from your days of managing the base paperclip store, must've been almost as exciting as watching the snow melt.....No wonder you're so happy to be retired.

Nope. It wasn't the base paperclip store. That was far too important. This was the squadron paperclip store. It had it's ups and downs. Everything that happened on base, as far as maintenance, came through us. However, the job did definitely lose it's luster after all of the changes were made.

retiredAFcivvy
02-19-2019, 08:43 PM
C'mon Rainy, the Base Paper Clip Store was run by GSA/Ability One (another Government program).

Mjölnir
02-20-2019, 01:31 AM
As far as the OP, been in for 27+ years E1-E7 and O1E to O5. Due to assume command of a unit this summer.

I could retire now and based on investments I started when I was an E4 in 1994 I could opt to not work and not really need to alter our standard of living. I enjoy what I do, the people I work with and my daughter gets amazing medical care for some issues she had when we adopted her and that have developed since then so I have opted to not retire just yet. In all likelihood my CO tour will be my last, regardless of if I am competitive of O6 or not. Am hoping to get on with the BSA as a professional Scouter or a teacher when I retire.

AF sgt
02-20-2019, 01:56 AM
As far as the OP, been in for 27+ years E1-E7 and O1E to O5. Due to assume command of a unit this summer.

I could retire now and based on investments I started when I was an E4 in 1994 I could opt to not work and not really need to alter our standard of living. I enjoy what I do, the people I work with and my daughter gets amazing medical care for some issues she had when we adopted her and that have developed since then so I have opted to not retire just yet. In all likelihood my CO tour will be my last, regardless of if I am competitive of O6 or not. Am hoping to get on with the BSA as a professional Scouter or a teacher when I retire.

Of all the reasons to stay, medical care is amazing. I was lucky enough to have children who didn't have any major medical issues. Even now, Tricare Retiree is pretty great. Express Scripts is the way to go if you aren't near a base. $7 prescriptions that show up in the mail. And dental/vision got much better this year.

retiredAFcivvy
02-20-2019, 02:23 AM

You obviously have done very well in your career. I remember a while back you talked about your daughter's medical needs. Glad she is able to get the medical care she needs. Yes, health coverage is extremely important. BSA is a great organization, I have 4 grandsons in scouting, the oldest just completed his community service project for eagle (I suspect you are also an Eagle Scout)

LogDog
02-20-2019, 06:53 AM

You were wise to start investing so early in your career. I started when I was a SSgt in 1984 by opening an IRA account with the Bank of America, at 11% interest locked-in for five years, and then rolled it over to a mutual fund in the stock market. I also opened another mutual fund and contributed monthly to it as well. After 30 plus years, I have enough in them so I never have to work again. The old adage "People don't plan to fail; they fail to plan" rings true. My goal, after my first enlistment, was to by a home in Coronado, Ca., my hometown, and I worked towards that goal. I own a condo (with a large mortgage) and between my military retirement and social security I have more than enough money to live on. Other than my mortgage, I have only the usual utility bills and insurance to worry about. In a couple of years I'll have to do mandatory withdrawals from my IRA meaning I have more disposable income to spend or invest. All that early planning and investing have paid off in that I haven't had to work in the last 16 years.