PDA

View Full Version : Wall funding

AF sgt
01-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Since people won't comment on it in other threads, I'll ask here. Has everyone completely forgotten that Mexico is supposed to fund the wall, so it shouldn't affect the operation/funding from our government at all?

FLAPS
01-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Since people won't comment on it in other threads, I'll ask here. Has everyone completely forgotten that Mexico is supposed to fund the wall, so it shouldn't affect the operation/funding from our government at all?

Another one of Trump's impulsive comments, with no real critical thinking put into it. That said, we STILL need a wide range of border security initiatives, to include a wall/fence where it makes the most sense. Pointing the finger at Trump or his supporters to remind them that "but but but, Mexico is supposed to pay for it" isn't going to get us the border security we need.

Mjölnir
01-25-2019, 12:08 PM
I never believed Mexico would cut a check, that if this happened it would be Mexico ‘paying’ in the form of funds recouped via tariffs, fees, cutting aid etc.

It sounded good on the campaign trail ... campaigning is easier than governing.

Bos Mutus
01-25-2019, 12:15 PM
As I recall, the theory was that all of these illegal immigrant workers send most of their paychecks back to Mexico.

Once this wall stops illegal immigration, then this money won't be leaving the economy and being sent to Mexico...and this money would in theory pay for the wall.

Not directly, of course, because even if that happened, it is not government money that could actually be used to pay for anything, but that retaining that money into the U.S. economy would benefit the U.S. economy to an amount that theoretically pays for the wall.

It's sort of like your new tankless water heater at home paying for itself. It doesn't actually give you the money, you have to pay for it and accept that somewhere in the future there are savings that make up for it.

...or at least that was the after-spin explaining the impulsive comments...I don't believe that was actually what Trump had in mind when he said it first.

Mjölnir
01-25-2019, 01:25 PM
...or at least that was the after-spin explaining the impulsive comments...I don't believe that was actually what Trump had in mind when he said it first.

Whatever he meant / thought ... I think what a lot of DJT supporters had in their mind was him 'sticking it' to Mexico and getting them to cut a check.

Mjölnir
01-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Whatever he meant / thought ... I think what a lot of DJT supporters had in their mind was him 'sticking it' to Mexico and getting them to cut a check.

Bos Mutus
01-25-2019, 01:49 PM

None of them seem to be calling him on it.

AF sgt
01-25-2019, 02:35 PM
None of them seem to be calling him on it.

Exactly. And even the Dems aren't bringing it up any more. Hell, if I was in Congress and the President had the government shut down looking for funding, I'd be bringing it up hourly.

AF sgt
01-25-2019, 02:38 PM
As I recall, the theory was that all of these illegal immigrant workers send most of their paychecks back to Mexico.

Once this wall stops illegal immigration, then this money won't be leaving the economy and being sent to Mexico...and this money would in theory pay for the wall.

This was the theory from his supporters, AFTER they started realizing that Trump was never going to get Mexico to pay. This wasn't the "theory" when it was used in the campaign. The first record of this "theory" doesn't come up until well after the election.

You're absolutely right that this wasn't what he had in mind. He thought he was going to be a CEO and that his scare tactics would work. I just can't understand why it's not coming up with the government being held hostage for funding.

AF sgt
01-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Another one of Trump's impulsive comments, with no real critical thinking put into it. That said, we STILL need a wide range of border security initiatives, to include a wall/fence where it makes the most sense. Pointing the finger at Trump or his supporters to remind them that "but but but, Mexico is supposed to pay for it" isn't going to get us the border security we need.

Bringing this point up is directly related to the reason the government is shut down. Funding. And I believe the promise of the wall was just as impulsive as the promise of Mexico paying, so why discount one and not the other? I'll tell you why, because that would be Trump supporters admitting that his promises (actually his threats) about the wall were complete BS. And if the wall doesn't happen, his supporters will find a way to justify that failure, too.

garhkal
01-25-2019, 07:54 PM

To me, his statement could easily become 'truthful' if we say, taxed all remittances sent to mexico (say 30%), AND CUT off the bloody millions we send them yearly in foreign aid..

AF sgt
01-25-2019, 10:09 PM
To me, his statement could easily become 'truthful' if we say, taxed all remittances sent to mexico (say 30%), AND CUT off the bloody millions we send them yearly in foreign aid..

Unfortunately, we all know that's not what the President meant when he said it.

It's like saying "I'm gonna pay cash for that $40,000 car. Then I get a loan for it, and take $400 a month in cash to the bank to pay for it. Technically, I paid cash, but it obviously wasn't the intent of the statement.