PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

AF sgt
01-10-2019, 11:48 PM
I'm retired AF, loving every single day of being retired, and recommending to all that you don't work a day longer than is necessary for you to financially make it.

LogDog
01-11-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm retired AF, loving every single day of being retired, and recommending to all that you don't work a day longer than is necessary for you to financially make it.
Like you, I'm retired and have been for 15 years. Financially, I can make it comfortably on a retired E-8 pension and Social Security even though I live in a high cost area (San Diego). I used to counsel my troops on saving and investing their money for their retirement and even lending them literature on investing basics in mutual funds. My main point to them is by starting early they can build a good egg nest for their retirement.

AF sgt
01-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Like you, I'm retired and have been for 15 years. Financially, I can make it comfortably on a retired E-8 pension and Social Security even though I live in a high cost area (San Diego). I used to counsel my troops on saving and investing their money for their retirement and even lending them literature on investing basics in mutual funds. My main point to them is by starting early they can build a good egg nest for their retirement.

I never invested anything. The wife gets a little and I get what I get, so we are doing pretty nicely on around $2400 a month. Of course we couldn't have done it if we had a ton of bills, so we were lucky enough to be able to get those all payed off before retirement.

FLAPS
01-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Retired Maj, no kids, no debt, working wife. I kept working 60 hr workweeks in industry for a few years following retirement, then quit that life after hitting 50. Not sure I will ever work another full-time job again. Of course, with gov finances looking bleak in the years ahead, the need to work (i.e, no more pension) might change. For now, retirement life is great!

LogDog
01-12-2019, 06:35 PM
I never invested anything. The wife gets a little and I get what I get, so we are doing pretty nicely on around $2400 a month. Of course we couldn't have done it if we had a ton of bills, so we were lucky enough to be able to get those all payed off before retirement.
If you're in a low cost of living area then $2400 a month is doable. When Congress opened up IRAs to the military in the mid-80s I jumped on it and and put the money in a bank IRA account paying 11%. A couple of years later I moved the money to a mutual fund and have had it there every since. I continued to invest the maximum allowable every year I worked and that built me a good nest egg. I also invested in a non-IRA mutual fund and that's built into another good nest egg.

As for bills, I only have a large mortgage but it's cheaper for me to keep it than to rent. My military pension and my Social Security checks exceeds my monthly expenses allowing me to put a couple of hundred dollars away every month. The thing I've told people for years and even today to younger members of today's military is sacrifice a little today and invest that so when you're older you won't have to work so long.

LogDog
01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Retired Maj, no kids, no debt, working wife. I kept working 60 hr workweeks in industry for a few years following retirement, then quit that life after hitting 50. Not sure I will ever work another full-time job again. Of course, with gov finances looking bleak in the years ahead, the need to work (i.e, no more pension) might change. For now, retirement life is great!
I retired as an E-8 after 28 years and I took a job with the VA for awhile as a GS-13. I decided I didn't like the work so I quit and became a full-time retiree. I was a workaholic but I found I enjoyed retirement and have been enjoying the retired life for the past 15 years. As for government finance looking bleak, I seriously doubt any changes to our pension will happen so we can continue to look forward to continuing getting our checks.

AF sgt
01-12-2019, 07:17 PM
I retired as an E-8 after 28 years and I took a job with the VA for awhile as a GS-13. I decided I didn't like the work so I quit and became a full-time retiree. I was a workaholic but I found I enjoyed retirement and have been enjoying the retired life for the past 15 years. As for government finance looking bleak, I seriously doubt any changes to our pension will happen so we can continue to look forward to continuing getting our checks.

Agree. I have zero worries about ever losing the pension. As far as monthly income, different strokes for different folks. Retired at 38, have a medium size 2 bedroom near a lake. Only bill I have, other than utilities/etc, is a small boat payment. Do a lot of fishing, relaxing, enjoying. Will never work again, full or part time. It's not worth it to me. I can't see ever voluntarily being away from my wife. More money isn't going to make us any happier than we are.

FLAPS
01-12-2019, 08:45 PM
More money isn't going to make us any happier than we are. I walked away from a $110K per year job, which alone was more than double our current combined family income...all because I realized I wasn't happy. The key for us has always been to find the most amount of happiness for the least amount of money. Less money needed means more freedom....A LOT more freedom.

AF sgt
01-12-2019, 08:59 PM
I walked away from a $110K per year job, which alone was more than double our current combined family income...all because I realized I wasn't happy. The key for us has always been to find the most amount of happiness for the least amount of money. Less money needed means more freedom....A LOT more freedom.

Did something very similar. Couldn't agree more. I know too many people who work into their late 60s/early 70s because they are still "saving for retirement". Not my cup of tea.

FLAPS
01-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Did something very similar. Couldn't agree more. I know too many people who work into their late 60s/early 70s because they are still "saving for retirement". Not my cup of tea.I also knew of too many people working their asses off to earn that coveted future retirement lifestyle, only to pass away long before reaching that goal. If that's not a sobering reminder NOT to bank on making it to the magical retirement age of 65, I don't know what is.

retiredAFcivvy
01-14-2019, 06:07 PM
It appears by your forum name you were part of logistics. I've noticed by some of your earlier posts you seemed to be familiar with contracting or finance (both of which at one time were under Logistics).
Just wondering. Thanks.

LogDog
01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
It appears by your forum name you were part of logistics. I've noticed by some of your earlier posts you seemed to be familiar with contracting or finance (both of which at one time were under Logistics).
Just wondering. Thanks.
I was in Medical Materiel, part of the Medical Logistics Flight, and we're referred to as "LogDog. We do a lot of what Contracting, Finance, and Base Supply does but for the hospitals and clinics. In the medical field, Medical Logistics personnel are know as "LogDogs" and I use the image of the medical "LogDog" as my avatar.

Here's a link that gives a description of what Medical Materiel is:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/air-force-enlisted-job-descriptions-3344351

retiredAFcivvy
01-14-2019, 09:00 PM
I was in Medical Materiel, part of the Medical Logistics Flight, and we're referred to as "LogDog. We do a lot of what Contracting, Finance, and Base Supply does but for the hospitals and clinics. In the medical field, Medical Logistics personnel are know as "LogDogs" and I use the image of the medical "LogDog" as my avatar.

Here's a link that gives a description of what Medical Materiel is:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/air-force-enlisted-job-descriptions-3344351

I spent my civilian career in Contracting and back in the day we supported the Base Hospital which Medical Materiel sent us their requisitions. The credit card program pretty much eliminated all small purchases.

Rainmaker
01-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Ain't no mission without a logistician...

LogDog
01-14-2019, 11:16 PM
I spent my civilian career in Contracting and back in the day we supported the Base Hospital which Medical Materiel sent us their requisitions. The credit card program pretty much eliminated all small purchases.
The credit card program was a big help for us and for contracting. Before the program, we were walking through emergency requests for items the hospital needed that day or the next. It was a hassle for us and I'm sure you're people didn't like it either.

I oversaw the credit card program for Medical Materiel at two different bases, one in England and one in California. My people were well trained on the program and I made it known they were to stick to only what they could buy and if anyone tried to order or intimidate them into buying something they weren't authorized to buy they were direct them to me. The medical community has some people, both officer and enlisted, who are headstrong and will try to bully people to get what they want. I had no hesitation turning down requests and it didn't matter what rank the person was but I would explain why we couldn't buy what they wanted. Fortunately, that rarely happened because most people in the hospital knew me and knew I wasn't a pushover. At the base in California, our office purchased more items each month than the entire base did and during one yearly inspection of our program by contracting they found only one discrepancy and that was a receipt for an item costing about $15 wasn't with the purchase folder. Not bad for about 1,000 purchases.

retiredAFcivvy
01-15-2019, 05:21 PM
The credit card program was a big help for us and for contracting. Before the program, we were walking through emergency requests for items the hospital needed that day or the next. It was a hassle for us and I'm sure you're people didn't like it either.

I oversaw the credit card program for Medical Materiel at two different bases, one in England and one in California. My people were well trained on the program and I made it known they were to stick to only what they could buy and if anyone tried to order or intimidate them into buying something they weren't authorized to buy they were direct them to me. The medical community has some people, both officer and enlisted, who are headstrong and will try to bully people to get what they want. I had no hesitation turning down requests and it didn't matter what rank the person was but I would explain why we couldn't buy what they wanted. Fortunately, that rarely happened because most people in the hospital knew me and knew I wasn't a pushover. At the base in California, our office purchased more items each month than the entire base did and during one yearly inspection of our program by contracting they found only one discrepancy and that was a receipt for an item costing about $15 wasn't with the purchase folder. Not bad for about 1,000 purchases.

And of course that made contracting look good! I always had a good working relationship with medical materiel. Emergency purchases were usually because of some special need and not poor planning.

LogDog
01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
And of course that made contracting look good! I always had a good working relationship with medical materiel. Emergency purchases were usually because of some special need and not poor planning. We worked hard to keep good relations with contracting and finance. In the late 70s, at Myrtle Beach AFB, a group of us from Medical Materiel, Contracting, and Finance would get together for lunch at a local steak house. As for emergency purchases, most of the time I saw it as poor planning on the customer’s part. It got so bad at one base we brought it to the attention of the Hospital Commander and he agreed with our suggestion that emergency purchases had to first go through him. The reduced the problem by 99%.

retiredAFcivvy
01-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Did you ever know a Sgt Matson?

LogDog
01-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Did you ever know a Sgt Matson?
The name's not familiar. What base was Sgt Matson at?

retiredAFcivvy
01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
The name's not familiar. What base was Sgt Matson at?

Whiteman, late 70's or early 80's.

LogDog
01-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Whiteman, late 70's or early 80's.
No, I never met Sgt Matson. During that time period I was at Myrtle Beach AFB and George AFB and then went overseas for four years.