PDA

View Full Version : Govt. Shutdown

Bos Mutus
01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
I feel like we might be in for a long one.

The Democrats do not want to give Trump a victory. I think they see it as his re-election issue, so you know they don't want that to happen no matter what. I don't think they'll cave any time soon. It's not about the $5B, for sure, they've thrown away more than that on nothing.

I think Trump is being advised that no wall=no reelection also. This is his big item.

Maybe they will get something in between, but I dunno...it's more about the political win and 2020 than it is the money, so I think both sides will be pretty stubborn. The Dems will give $5B for anything but a wall, and Trump only wants a wall.

The only way out is through the People. Have to let our reps know you will blame them for it, but since it's not an election year, the threat is not immediate and they may let it drag out thinking it'll all be forgotten by next election time.

Mjölnir
01-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Well, technically we are now talking about a barrier vice a wall ;)

I agree, DJT campaigned on a wall, he hasn't gotten one and 2020 is coming.

DJT has had some wins, but a few high profile fails:

-Repeal & replace of the ACA didn't really work.
-Balancing the federal budget didn't work.
-Muslim ban ... enough said.

I think he needs a victory on the wall to take into the 2020 campaign.

Unfortunately, most DJT supporters don't see his biggest victory which is SCOTUS and federal judiciary confirmations. Getting past something like a border wall and looking at the number of confirmations ... that is a huge win for him.

garhkal
01-04-2019, 07:15 PM
I feel like we might be in for a long one.

The Democrats do not want to give Trump a victory. I think they see it as his re-election issue, so you know they don't want that to happen no matter what. I don't think they'll cave any time soon. It's not about the $5B, for sure, they've thrown away more than that on nothing.

If it was obama who was asking, nay Demanding the 5.6 Billion for the wall, even then i feel the dems in congress would STILL balk at giving him anything. THEY DON'T (IMO) WANT A wall, or any form of protection, stopping them inviting in hundreds of thousands of potential new democrat voters..

I think Trump is being advised that no wall=no reelection also. This is his big item.

Most definitely. IF he caves in (like Reagan did), to give the DEMS what they want, without getting what he promised us, he won't win a 2nd term.

Maybe they will get something in between, but I dunno...it's more about the political win and 2020 than it is the money, so I think both sides will be pretty stubborn. The Dems will give $5B for anything but a wall, and Trump only wants a wall.

When neither side is willing to budge, i can't see how anyone will 'get anything in between'.
AND since this has been what the dems have done for decades, they are masters of it.

Bos Mutus
01-04-2019, 07:28 PM
If it was obama who was asking, nay Demanding the 5.6 Billion for the wall, even then i feel the dems in congress would STILL balk at giving him anything. THEY DON'T (IMO) WANT A wall, or any form of protection, stopping them inviting in hundreds of thousands of potential new democrat voters..

Most definitely. IF he caves in (like Reagan did), to give the DEMS what they want, without getting what he promised us, he won't win a 2nd term.

When neither side is willing to budge, i can't see how anyone will 'get anything in between'.
AND since this has been what the dems have done for decades, they are masters of it.

Oh yeah...those evil Democrats and their 'leftist tactics'

Whatever...

FLAPS
01-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Whatever...

DEMS decry any attempt to combat voter fraud. DEMS support entitlements to illegal immigrants. Review CA's recent failed attempt to pass a massive pro-illegal immigrant health care bill. DEMS want to eliminate the Electoral College, thus guaranteeing no future Republican Presidents. And of course, DEMS are against the most effective border security measure proposed....a fricken wall.

But 'whatever,' right?

Two questions....

1. Why do Progressives (not most DEMS) absolutely hate America? And yes, if you don't support national sovereignty, you hate America. If you don't care about voter fraud, you hate America. If you think our national 'wealth' is justification to massively increase our entitlement programs, but want to eliminate the very economic system that created that wealth in the first place (Capitalism), then you hate America.

2. Why in the world are immigrants so desperate to race to this country to seek economic prosperity, but then continue to support the same type of government/policies that destroyed the countries that they now want to leave?

Based on the mid-term election results, and just how close the election results were for those Republicans who won, I think it's safe to assume that Progressive leftists (not traditional liberals/DEMS) will soon win complete control over our country. When that happens, especially at the state level, they will have the ability to amend the US Constitution in any way they desire....and no conservative SCOTUS can stop that.

For my fellow conservatives, at the end of the day you just have to take a deep breath and accept the fact that most Americans want a 'different' America...whether right or wrong.

Bos Mutus
01-06-2019, 12:16 AM
DEMS decry any attempt to combat voter fraud.

Seems like the Republicans are trying to get a fraudulent election certified in NC, no?

DEMS support entitlements to illegal immigrants. Review CA's recent failed attempt to pass a massive pro-illegal immigrant health care bill.

seeing as how CA is a predominately Dem state, the fact that it failed does not lend credibility to your argument

DEMS want to eliminate the Electoral College, thus guaranteeing no future Republican Presidents.

”The electoral college is a disaster for democracy” ~ Donald J. Trump

And of course, DEMS are against the most effective border security measure proposed....a fricken wall.

But 'whatever,' right?

DEMS are against Trump getting a win.

whatever, indeed

Two questions....

1. Why do Progressives (not most DEMS) absolutely hate America? And yes, if you don't support national sovereignty, you hate America. If you don't care about voter fraud, you hate America. If you think our national 'wealth' is justification to massively increase our entitlement programs, but want to eliminate the very economic system that created that wealth in the first place (Capitalism), then you hate America.

I don’t speak for progressives.

Why do Republicans hate America if they want to certify the NC election?

Why do Republicans who invite foreign powers to intervene in our elections hate America?

Why do conservatives hate the US govt. and most of the people, but think they have a monopoly on loving America?

2. Why in the world are immigrants so desperate to race to this country to seek economic prosperity, but then continue to support the same type of government/policies that destroyed the countries that they now want to leave?

Based on the mid-term election results, and just how close the election results were for those Republicans who won, I think it's safe to assume that Progressive leftists (not traditional liberals/DEMS) will soon win complete control over our country. When that happens, especially at the state level, they will have the ability to amend the US Constitution in any way they desire....and no conservative SCOTUS can stop that.

Why do you hate the Constitution that provided a method to amend it?

For my fellow conservatives, at the end of the day you just have to take a deep breath and accept the fact that most Americans want a 'different' America...whether right or wrong.

So, you are against ‘most Americans’ from getting the America that ‘most Americans’ want through elections?

What kind of America do you want exactly? One governed by a minority or tyranny? You are lamenting a govt of the people by the people and for the people?

What do you love about America since you seem to hate it’s govt., Constitution, and people?

Love it or leave it

FLAPS
01-06-2019, 01:35 PM
Seems like the Republicans are trying to get a fraudulent election certified in NC, no?

If true, then this confirms that cheats reside in both parties. That said, I was critiquing the ideology of an a disturbingly anti-American voter block...PROGRESSIVES.

seeing as how CA is a predominately Dem state, the fact that it failed does not lend credibility to your argument

The PROGRESSIVES wanted that bill, but level-headed DEMS (a dying breed) knew that there was no rational, feasible way to pay for it. I did previously point out the difference between a traditional DEM and a Progressive DEM.

”The electoral college is a disaster for democracy” ~ Donald J. Trump

That was a stupid, idiotic comment. That doesn't invalidate most of his pro-American policies.

DEMS are against Trump getting a win.

Which is why they supported greater funding for a wall/fence/whatever in 2006, but changed their minds purely out of hate for one man. It's sad how the country is held hostage by radical "Resist" types.

Why do Republicans who invite foreign powers to intervene in our elections hate America?

Proof?

Why do conservatives hate the US govt. and most of the people, but think they have a monopoly on loving America?

You're speaking on behalf of millions of people? Oh wait, MSM and CNN told you to believe this.

Why do you hate the Constitution that provided a method to amend it?

I don't hate the constitution. I'm actually fearful of what this country were to become if our liberties are stripped away. More gov does equal fewer liberties.

So, you are against ‘most Americans’ from getting the America that ‘most Americans’ want through elections?

I am saddened that our educational institutions are indoctrinating our future voters to hate our current form of government and economic system. Just yesterday, my wife told me that the library has a book on the top shelf of the "teen" reading called "Resist."

What kind of America do you want exactly? One governed by a minority or tyranny? You are lamenting a govt of the people by the people and for the people?

I want an America where Americans are required to learn the US Constitution, and to thoroughly understand the threats this country has faced since it's birth. It's not a perfect country, but it's damn near close.

Love it or leave it

I love it just the way it is. Unlike Progressives who want to love it AFTER they change it.

garhkal
01-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Whatever...

Yea, like allowing illegals to vote. Allowing Muslims to serve, wear Hijabs and Swear their oath of office on a KORAN of all things..

Additionally as FLAPS said, Why is it they do all they can to STOP ANY SORT of Election Integrity law, whether its purging voter rolls of duplicate voters, illegally registered voters, Illegal aliens registered, or the dead, OR want to stop Voter ID (when there's a # of other countries, some large which already do it with no issues)?

Hmm. I don't remember people whining about Hillary inviting the Saudis to meddle, via her pay for play schemes, when she was Sec of State?

Bos Mutus
01-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Yea, like allowing illegals to vote. Allowing Muslims to serve, wear Hijabs and Swear their oath of office on a KORAN of all things..

You don't think Muslims should be allowed to serve?

Additionally as FLAPS said, Why is it they do all they can to STOP ANY SORT of Election Integrity law, whether its purging voter rolls of duplicate voters, illegally registered voters, Illegal aliens registered, or the dead

I don't think purging of voters rolls is a bad thing...the problem is once these laws are in place, the Republicans. usually go about purging legal voters in districts they don't like.

, OR want to stop Voter ID (when there's a # of other countries, some large which already do it with no issues)?

Again, Voter ID does not seem like a bad idea to me...but, then Republicans go about closing ID offices in the areas they don't like, that's more of the problem.

Bos Mutus
01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
If true, then this confirms that cheats reside in both parties. That said, I was critiquing the ideology of an a disturbingly anti-American voter block...PROGRESSIVES.

OK...carry on then. Have fun

The PROGRESSIVES wanted that bill, but level-headed DEMS (a dying breed) knew that there was no rational, feasible way to pay for it. I did previously point out the difference between a traditional DEM and a Progressive DEM.

You did subsequently, but on this point, you just said 'DEMS want entitlements for illegal aliens'....when, I guess, you meant 'PROGRESSIVES'

That was a stupid, idiotic comment. That doesn't invalidate most of his pro-American policies.

Which is why they supported greater funding for a wall/fence/whatever in 2006, but changed their minds purely out of hate for one man. It's sad how the country is held hostage by radical "Resist" types.

Oh, hey, yeah...back on to the topic of the thread. Great. But, yes, as was my point here...this is more about giving or not giving the President a political win, which is why I think the shutdown could drag out awhile....the Democrats would rather throw $6B in the ocean than give $5B for a wall at this point, I think.[/quote]

Proof?

You're speaking on behalf of millions of people? Oh wait, MSM and CNN told you to believe this.

What are you talking about? You yourself said most of the people won't vote for a Republican President

I don't hate the constitution. I'm actually fearful of what this country were to become if our liberties are stripped away. More gov does equal fewer liberties.

I am saddened that our educational institutions are indoctrinating our future voters to hate our current form of government and economic system. Just yesterday, my wife told me that the library has a book on the top shelf of the "teen" reading called "Resist."

I want an America where Americans are required to learn the US Constitution, and to thoroughly understand the threats this country has faced since it's birth. It's not a perfect country, but it's damn near close.

Okay. What if they don't learn it? Do they lose their citizenship? Would they have to take a test or something?

What're you gonna do when the Progressives get to write the test?

I love it just the way it is. Unlike Progressives who want to love it AFTER they change it.

carry on then...like I said, I don't speak for or answer for progressives.

LogDog
01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Would that book be "Resist" by Veroncia Chambers? If so, the publisher describes the book as follows:

A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into the leader of tomorrow, Veronica Chambers's inspiring collection of profiles-along with Senator Cory Booker's stirring foreword-will inspire readers of all ages to stand up for what's right.

You may only be one person, but you have the power to change the world.

Before they were activists, they were just like you and me. From Frederick Douglass to Malala Yousafzai, Joan of Arc to John Lewis, Susan B. Anthony to Janet Mock—these remarkable figures show us what it means to take a stand and say no to injustice, even when it would be far easier to stay quiet.
Resist profiles men and women who resisted tyranny, fought the odds, and stood up to bullies that threatened to harm their communities. Along with their portraits and most memorable quotes, their stories will inspire you to speak out and rise up—every single day.

[URL="https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062796257/resist/[HarperCollins[/url"]
(https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062796257/resist/)

I don't understand why your wife is concerned about the book being in the library.

garhkal
01-07-2019, 07:36 PM
You don't think Muslims should be allowed to serve?

HELL no. By Islam, they have to put NO OTHER LAWS ahead of the Koran/Sharia. So how can we ever trust they will put our Constitution first??

I don't think purging of voters rolls is a bad thing...the problem is once these laws are in place, the Republicans. usually go about purging legal voters in districts they don't like.

Just like dems love keeping voter rolls so muddled in districts THEY like. Such as having plenty of dead to pull on.

Bos Mutus
01-07-2019, 09:32 PM
HELL no. By Islam, they have to put NO OTHER LAWS ahead of the Koran/Sharia. So how can we ever trust they will put our Constitution first??

Well, that is highly UnAmerican.

How can I trust you since you feel there should be a religious test to hold office...which is clearly against the Constitution? Why don't you put the Constitution first?

Further, I think any of our serious Christian politicians would likewise state, God first, then country. God's laws, then Constitution.
"I am a Christian first, then a conservative, and then a Republican in that order" ~ Vice Pres. Mike Pence....funny he doesn't mention American, though.

The oath nor the Constitution requires one to put the Constitution first before their religious laws.

Just like dems love keeping voter rolls so muddled in districts THEY like. Such as having plenty of dead to pull on.

Largely a myth because people confuse being registered to vote with actually voting.....but, yeah, if anyone is found to have actually voted for a dead person, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

garhkal
01-08-2019, 05:06 AM
Well, that is highly UnAmerican.

How can I trust you since you feel there should be a religious test to hold office...which is clearly against the Constitution? Why don't you put the Constitution first?

Further, I think any of our serious Christian politicians would likewise state, God first, then country. God's laws, then Constitution.
"I am a Christian first, then a conservative, and then a Republican in that order" ~ Vice Pres. Mike Pence....funny he doesn't mention American, though.

The oath nor the Constitution requires one to put the Constitution first before their religious laws.

Sorry, but the constitution DOES say "Its the highest law of the land". [quote[The Supremacy Clause makes the Constitution the highest law in the land. Article VI, clause 2 of the Constitution is the Supremacy Clause. [/quote]

ERGO IT IS. Thus someone swearing to islam, which puts IT FIRST then the lands laws 2nd, by logic, can't uphold our constitution!

Bos Mutus
01-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Sorry, but the constitution DOES say "Its the highest law of the land". [quote[The Supremacy Clause makes the Constitution the highest law in the land. Article VI, clause 2 of the Constitution is the Supremacy Clause.

Yes, and that highest law says there shall be no religious test to hold public office....but here you are saying Muslims should ne be allowed based on their religion

ERGO IT IS. Thus someone swearing to islam, which puts IT FIRST then the lands laws 2nd, by logic, can't uphold our constitution!

Christianity likewise say Gods law comes first...

How do you feel about churches the fly the Christian flag ABOVE the U.S. Flag?

http://www.godbeforegovernment.org/

Can you name a Christian Republican politician you support that we can ask whether God or country comes first?

Will you renounce any politician that states Gods laws are first for them?

Do you believe that SCOTUS decisions are also ‘the law of the land?’

FLAPS
01-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Would that book be "Resist" by Veroncia Chambers? If so, the publisher describes the book as follows:

A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into the leader of tomorrow, Veronica Chambers's inspiring collection of profiles-along with Senator Cory Booker's stirring foreword-will inspire readers of all ages to stand up for what's right.

You may only be one person, but you have the power to change the world.

Before they were activists, they were just like you and me. From Frederick Douglass to Malala Yousafzai, Joan of Arc to John Lewis, Susan B. Anthony to Janet Mock—these remarkable figures show us what it means to take a stand and say no to injustice, even when it would be far easier to stay quiet.
Resist profiles men and women who resisted tyranny, fought the odds, and stood up to bullies that threatened to harm their communities. Along with their portraits and most memorable quotes, their stories will inspire you to speak out and rise up—every single day.

[URL="https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062796257/resist/[HarperCollins[/url"]

I don't understand why your wife is concerned about the book being in the library.

What "tyranny" exactly are progressives resisting? That's the thing here, is that JUSTICE (true, law and order kind) is confused with REVENGE. For example, using Ferguson as an example of a cop who defended himself against a charging a man twice his size. A Grand Jury (it's a law and order thing) made up of half African Americans found that the cop committed no crime. However, in the name of REVENGE (i.e., 'justice' in the thug dictionary), mobs of misguided hoodrats burned down their own town.

RESIST today is defined as opposing legally, constitutionally elected people who happen to have different political views...hardly the same as a Rosemary Parks type of scenario.

My wife doesn't have a problem with books in a library, but like me, has a problem with the deliberate attempts to indoctrinating our future voters into hating our country. Sadly, this is how countries (like Cuba) die.

LogDog
01-08-2019, 05:05 PM
What "tyranny" exactly are progressives resisting? That's the thing here, is that JUSTICE (true, law and order kind) is confused with REVENGE. For example, using Ferguson as an example of a cop who defended himself against a charging a man twice his size. A Grand Jury (it's a law and order thing) made up of half African Americans found that the cop committed no crime. However, in the name of REVENGE (i.e., 'justice' in the thug dictionary), mobs of misguided hoodrats burned down their own town.

RESIST today is defined as opposing legally, constitutionally elected people who happen to have different political views...hardly the same as a Rosemary Parks type of scenario.

My wife doesn't have a problem with books in a library, but like me, has a problem with the deliberate attempts to indoctrinating our future voters into hating our country. Sadly, this is how countries (like Cuba) die.
I'm not asking about tyranny or revenge, I'm asking if the book Resist is the Veronica Chambers book your wife saw in the library. If it is, then it's not about the "RESIST" movement to counter Trump but stories about how people from around the world resisted the tyranny imposed upon them.

garhkal
01-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Yes, and that highest law says there shall be no religious test to hold public office....but here you are saying Muslims should ne be allowed based on their religion

Since their laws say they can't put anyting before islam, YES i do feel then, they can't swear a proper oath on our constitution. THAT IS NOT the same as putting in a religious test..

Christianity likewise say Gods law comes first...

Depends where you look..
As per
http://www.truthinlove.com/analogies/law_of_man_vs_law_of_God.htm

The 3rd line says "The Bible teaches us to respect all authorities including the Laws of Man".

Then
https://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_mans_law

Has many bible quotes showing they DO respect mans laws.. Because god created man.

So they are NO WHERE the same thing....

How do you feel about churches the fly the Christian flag ABOVE the U.S. Flag?

The same as i feel about anyone burning the US flag. Butt heads...

Bos Mutus
01-09-2019, 01:58 AM
Since their laws say they can't put anyting before islam, YES i do feel then, they can't swear a proper oath on our constitution. THAT IS NOT the same as putting in a religious test..

Depends where you look..
As per
http://www.truthinlove.com/analogies/law_of_man_vs_law_of_God.htm

The 3rd line says "The Bible teaches us to respect all authorities including the Laws of Man".

Then
https://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_mans_law

Has many bible quotes showing they DO respect mans laws.. Because god created man.

So they are NO WHERE the same thing....

I see...so if Man's Law says that it is illegal for a baker to discriminate against same sex couples, then Christians should follow man's law?

If Man's Law says that employers must provide health insurance that includes birth control...then Christians should follow man's law?

Anyway, this is pointless....you’re gonna keep insisting Muslims should not be allowed to hold public office no matter how illegal and unconstitutional and thoroughly UnAmerican it is.

Like I said....whatever.

The same as i feel about anyone burning the US flag. Butt heads...

AF sgt
01-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Religious backgrounds will always play a part in the decisions of politicians (who have religious beliefs). There are no problems with that, according to the constitution. 100% of choices made by politicians can be made based on their religion. We have checks and balances. The constitution simply doesn't allow the formation of a "national" religion. A Muslim president wouldn't force/institute Sharia because that is specifically what the constitution talks about with "separation of church and state". Not that politicians can't be religious, not that they can't talk about their religion, not that they can't make decisions based on their religion, but that they can't force others, or implement as law, to practice a specific religion.

FLAPS
01-12-2019, 05:47 PM
The constitution simply doesn't allow the formation of a "national" religion. A Muslim president wouldn't force/institute Sharia because that is specifically what the constitution talks about with "separation of church and state".

No, but Muslim majorities in Western countries can and will change the laws to fit Islam. It's already happening in communities within the EU. Although it can take decades to happen, it's not unforeseeable for future Muslim-dominated state governments for push for a Constitutional Convention to radically change/weaken our Constitution. Of course, Progressives will succeed at this long before the Muslim population grows large enough to wield that kind of influence. Perhaps progressive non-Muslims, in the name of 'equality' will help push the Islam agenda. Just for clarification, some of the nicest, trustworthy people I've met are Muslim. That said, Islam itself has never been, nor ever will be compatible with Western culture.

LogDog
01-12-2019, 06:26 PM
No, but Muslim majorities in Western countries can and will change the laws to fit Islam. It's already happening in communities within the EU. Although it can take decades to happen, it's not unforeseeable for future Muslim-dominated state governments for push for a Constitutional Convention to radically change/weaken our Constitution. Of course, Progressives will succeed at this long before the Muslim population grows large enough to wield that kind of influence. Perhaps progressive non-Muslims, in the name of 'equality' will help push the Islam agenda. Just for clarification, some of the nicest, trustworthy people I've met are Muslim. That said, Islam itself has never been, nor ever will be compatible with Western culture.

Please provide where this is already happening with the specific laws they are changing.

The idea that the U.S., as a Christian-dominated nation, or any state is going to be dominated by Muslims is fear-mongering. The push for a Constitutional Convention to radically change/weaken our Constitution has been pushed for years by republican conservatives, thankfully, to no avail, to institute a Christianistas government on American citizens.

Christianity itself has never been, nor ever will be compatible with Middle East culture.

See how easy it is to make shit up. Just take your fear-mongering and substitute Christian for Muslim.

AF sgt
01-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Please provide where this is already happening with the specific laws they are changing.

The idea that the U.S., as a Christian-dominated nation, or any state is going to be dominated by Muslims is fear-mongering. The push for a Constitutional Convention to radically change/weaken our Constitution has been pushed for years by republican conservatives, thankfully, to no avail, to institute a Christianistas government on American citizens.

Christianity itself has never been, nor ever will be compatible with Middle East culture.

See how easy it is to make shit up. Just take your fear-mongering and substitute Christian for Muslim.

Exactly. Both sides are big on fear-mongering. It's what they do. One preys on the fears of conservative white Christians that the we're all going to be speaking Farsi and praying 5 times a day while the other side preys on fears of the liberal poor/working class that all benefits/entitlements/etc are going to be taken away. It's the game they play.

I haven't watched any "news", other than local, in about 8 months. No MSNBC, Fox, CNN, or any other opinion columns channels hiding behind the guise of "news". My life has never been better. I say this knowing full well that many will laugh at my choice of ignorance, but I wasn't even aware that there was a government shutdown going on until about 10 days in. I've found that none of it impacts my day to day life and I'm much happier without it. Selfish? Probably. But that's the price I play for living with almost zero stress.

FLAPS
01-13-2019, 01:24 PM

One of many stories highlighting the impact of growing Muslim majorities:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/12203/belgium-islamic-state

A more local example of Muslim culture in our own backyard:

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/mornings-michigan-dearborn-residents-wake-sacred-chant

Do the major news outlets create fear mongering to support their own agendas? Absolutely. Is it a fact that a majority Muslim population will erode Western culture as we know it, and quite possibly result in diminished freedoms that, unfortunately, many Americans today take for granted? Absolutely.

FLAPS
01-13-2019, 01:31 PM
I haven't watched any "news", other than local, in about 8 months. No MSNBC, Fox, CNN, or any other opinion columns channels hiding behind the guise of "news". My life has never been better. I say this knowing full well that many will laugh at my choice of ignorance, but I wasn't even aware that there was a government shutdown going on until about 10 days in. I've found that none of it impacts my day to day life and I'm much happier without it. Selfish? Probably. But that's the price I play for living with almost zero stress.

I have considered doing this too, although I think the local news is far worse in many respects, or at least in the major city I live next to. The news is 15 minutes about who got stabbed or shot, 10 minutes of local politicians were arrested for fraud, and 5 minutes for a sports recap. Oh joy!

Here's a favorite article of mine that supports turning off the news:

https://www.raptitude.com/2016/12/five-things-you-notice-when-you-quit-the-news/

AF sgt
01-13-2019, 03:07 PM
I have considered doing this too, although I think the local news is far worse in many respects, or at least in the major city I live next to. The news is 15 minutes about who got stabbed or shot, 10 minutes of local politicians were arrested for fraud, and 5 minutes for a sports recap. Oh joy!

https://www.raptitude.com/2016/12/five-things-you-notice-when-you-quit-the-news/

It's been great for a lot of things. Especially my relationship with my family. When they start to talk about stuff, I just honestly reply "I have no idea what you're talking about" and we move on to normal conversation. When we visit my parents, my dad will have all the shows from one channel recorded and will watch the live shows, then during commercial, switch to the recorded shows, so it's non-stop propoganda from the major "news" networks. The last time I watched more than 5 minutes of it, it could have very well been a reply from a year ago. It just never changes.

AF sgt
01-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Great article. Couldn't be more true. It's been about 5 months for us. Never been happier. No worse off than before. If I log on and there's a big headline about some 9/11 type situation, then I'll pay attention.