PDA

View Full Version : Get stationed in the UK, from 1980-96 and forever banned from giving blood?

garhkal
07-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Anyone else find it screwed up that members of the military (inc dependents) who lived in the UK from 1980-97 time frame, are forever banned as per the FDA from giving blood/plasma?

Mjölnir
07-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Why is the ban in place? Depending on why (communicable disease, strain etc.), I would have no issue with it.

It may suck if you lived there, but would rather protect the blood supply.

Mjölnir
07-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Why is the ban in place? Depending on why (communicable disease, strain etc.), I would have no issue with it.

garhkal
07-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Worries over mad cow/foot'n'mouth disease.. BUT this winds up applying even if you never stepped foot on any farmland to where you could come into contact with it..

garhkal
07-26-2017, 07:34 PM
The thing i find farpped up, is they recently made a change to allow GAYS to give even though THEIR disease issues are a lot more (cause of their lifestyle) than merely saying "you lived in country X where disease Y was, and even if you never came anywhere close to getting it, we are gonna put a life time ban on you from giving. But gays, those who get tattoos/piercings and such, CAN??