PDA

View Full Version : Trump, Russian Hacking, Election etc.

Mjölnir
01-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Director of National Intelligence Clapper and the Commander of USCYBERCOM / Director of NSA Adm Rogers testified before the Senate Armed Service Committee on Friday about the recent Russian malicious cyber activity (GRIZZLY STEPPE) related to the 2016 election.

The report from DHS / FBI is here: https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/JAR_16-20296A_GRIZZLY%20STEPPE-2016-1229.pdf

A couple of things on this:

-DJT won the 2016 election (fair & square).
-Someone hacked into the emails of the DNC, looks pretty convincing that it was Russian state cyber actors.
-Someone also hacked into John Podesta's personal email account. No evidence who did this.

So, in the last couple of months since the election, DJT has modified his comments on the issue. First saying that the Russians didn't do it, now saying that the email release didn't matter while his incoming Chief of Staff says that DJT accepts the IC reporting (but that DJT won't acknowledge publicly). This to an extent makes sense, while there is no way to prove if the emails influenced (sufficient enough)voters to modify the outcome of the election, any suggestion that it did de-legitimizes DJT's victory so DJT can't really acknowledge it.

I understand the political necessity to not acknowledge the potential for influence, but I think ignoring the fact that Russia conducted an information influence campaign on one of our two major political parties during a Presidential election bothersome ... doing nothing is emboldening.

I do find it interesting that the DNC is more focused on the actual hacking than responding to legitimate criticism about the content of the emails, which show pretty significant issues within the DNC:

-that policy staff acknowledged there was no way to vet all Syrian & other foreign refugees.
-collusion between DNC leadership and the Clinton campaign against Bernie Sanders
-that HRCs statements to Goldman Sachs and answers in the debates showed differing thoughts on the effectiveness of no-fly zones.
-that Clinton Foundation donors are primarily foreign.
-that Clinton Foundation donors seemed to be involved in a pay-for-play scheme.
-HRC was very ... VERY friendly with Wall Street.
-collusion between the Clinton campaign and Facebook on gender outreach research.
-differences between HRC's public statements and private speeches on open trade and borders.

efmbman
01-09-2017, 01:28 PM
I do find it interesting that the DNC is more focused on the actual hacking than responding to legitimate criticism about the content of the emails, which show pretty significant issues within the DNC:

-that policy staff acknowledged there was no way to vet all Syrian & other foreign refugees.
-collusion between DNC leadership and the Clinton campaign against Bernie Sanders
-that HRCs statements to Goldman Sachs and answers in the debates showed differing thoughts on the effectiveness of no-fly zones.
-that Clinton Foundation donors are primarily foreign.
-that Clinton Foundation donors seemed to be involved in a pay-for-play scheme.
-HRC was very ... VERY friendly with Wall Street.
-collusion between the Clinton campaign and Facebook on gender outreach research.
-differences between HRC's public statements and private speeches on open trade and borders.

Agreed. The whole outrage is their way to avoid the discussion about the contents of the emails. All the left wants to talk about the hack and how it influenced the election. I can't believe that any Clinton supporter would suddenly change camps to Trump based on the content of the emails anyway.

garhkal
01-09-2017, 07:36 PM
I agree as we.. The longer they keep everyone's attention on the leaks/hacks, the LESS time they have to worry about people even talking about the content.. IMO many of it damning to hillary.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 01:53 PM
This just doesn't end.

Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2fb

Now, I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid ... that said:

-Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.
-Flynn may also have information about the Russian's wider op to influence the election. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.
-That said, remember "In a 2016 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Michael Flynn said "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime."

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 01:54 PM
This just doesn't end.

Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2fb

Now, I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid ... that said:

-Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.
-Flynn may also have information about the Russian's wider op to influence the election. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.
-That said, remember "In a 2016 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Michael Flynn said "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime."

Rainmaker
03-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Full text of the lawyer's statement.

Counsel to Lt. General Mike Flynn (Retired)

General Flynn certainly has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit.

Out of respect for the Committees, we will not comment right now on the details of discussions between counsel for General Flynn and the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, other than to confirm that those discussions have taken place. But it is important to acknowledge the circumstances in which those discussions are occurring.

General Flynn is a highly decorated 33-year veteran of the U.S. Army. He devoted most of his life to serving his country, spending many years away from his family fighting this nation's battles around the world. He was awarded four Bronze Stars for actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the war on terror. He received the Legion of Merit twice, and the Defense Superior Service Medal four times. He is a recipient of the Defense Department's Distinguished Service Award and the Intelligence Community Gold Seal Medallion for Distinguished Service, as well as numerous other decorations.

Notwithstanding his life of national service, the media are awash with unfounded allegations, outrageous claims of treason, and vicious innuendo directed against him. He is now the target of unsubstantiated public demands by Members of Congress and other political critics that he be criminally investigated. No reasonable person, who has the benefit of advice from counsel, would submit to questioning in such a highly politicized, witch hunt environment without assurances against unfair prosecution.

https://i.redd.it/27pfm8cdtmoy.jpg

Rainmaker
03-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.

Do you happen to know which foreign power General Flynn or his firm (Flynn Intel Group) received payment from, when he " likely committed a crime"?

I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid

Agreed.

But, I'll go out on a limb & predict that they're not going to EVER call him to testify.... because then he'd get on the record and blow up their whole "Russian hacking cost Hillary the election" narrative.

. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.

Where does it say anything (in the above statement) about General Flynn formally requesting immunity or anything about the FBI?

- He also said in 2016 “If I did a tenth of what she did, I would be in jail today." Seems to be quite accurate...... Either way..... I'd love to see him testify (with or without immunity) and hear what he has to say.

I'd suspect General Flynn has the goods on a lot of the corrupt Deep-State Dem operatives

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Do you happen to know which foreign power General Flynn or his firm (Flynn Intel Group) received payment from, when he " likely committed a crime"?

Turkey. An officer drawing retainer pay is required to register as an agent of a foreign government if receiving pay from a foreign government. LTG Flynn failed to do so until approx. 7 months after the fact.

Where does it say anything (in the above statement) about General Flynn formally requesting immunity or anything about the FBI?

It doesn't, it is speculation on my part that Flynn may not be the biggest fish they want to fry in this.

I'd suspect General Flynn has the goods on a lot of the corrupt Deep-State Dem operatives

He may, that doesn't negate that he likely violated the law regarding the 'registering as a foreign agent' issue, he wasn't forthcoming with his boss ... the PEOTUS & then POTUS and based on his statement that -- paraphrasing -- you don't take immunity unless you committed a crime ... at least from an optics perspective looks to be coming back to haunt him.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 06:10 PM

Turkey. An officer drawing retainer pay is required to register as an agent of a foreign government if receiving pay from a foreign government. LTG Flynn failed to do so until approx. 7 months after the fact.

It doesn't, it is speculation on my part that Flynn may not be the biggest fish they want to fry in this.

He may, that doesn't negate that he likely violated the law regarding the 'registering as a foreign agent' issue, he wasn't forthcoming with his boss ... the PEOTUS & then POTUS and based on his statement that -- paraphrasing -- you don't take immunity unless you committed a crime ... at least from an optics perspective looks to be coming back to haunt him.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Full text of the lawyer's statement.

It is a good statement ...

General Flynn certainly has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit. [/quote

Out of respect for the Committees, we will not comment right now on the details of discussions between counsel for General Flynn and the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, other than to confirm that those discussions have taken place. But it is important to acknowledge the circumstances in which those discussions are occurring.

Acknowledges discussions.

General Flynn is a highly decorated 33-year veteran of the U.S. Army. He devoted most of his life to serving his country, spending many years away from his family fighting this nation's battles around the world. He was awarded four Bronze Stars for actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the war on terror. He received the Legion of Merit twice, and the Defense Superior Service Medal four times. He is a recipient of the Defense Department's Distinguished Service Award and the Intelligence Community Gold Seal Medallion for Distinguished Service, as well as numerous other decorations.

Fluff and not related to the issue at hand. My only issue here is semantics, LTG Flynn has 4 Bronze Stars for meritorious service in various areas ... not for actions (which generally refers to combat actions) -- he has never been decorated for combat.

Notwithstanding his life of national service, the media are awash with unfounded allegations, outrageous claims of treason, and vicious innuendo directed against him. He is now the target of unsubstantiated public demands by Members of Congress and other political critics that he be criminally investigated. No reasonable person, who has the benefit of advice from counsel, would submit to questioning in such a highly politicized, witch hunt environment without assurances against unfair prosecution.

Lawyerly advice, good advice ... but again ... "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime." ... would the same hold true for a highly principled man ... do you only agree to testify if you are granted immunity? It is a catch 22 ...

Rainmaker
03-31-2017, 06:21 PM

So, am I correct in understanding that you think that The Turkish government made a direct payment to Gen Flynn or contracted with his firm (through a Turkish owned company), to provide a deliverable (white paper) from which he derived profit-sharing ?

If so I'd say you're mistaken...... But, If not....Then please explain. How exactly did they go about doing that?

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 07:20 PM
So, am I correct in understanding that you think that The Turkish government made a direct payment to Gen Flynn or contracted with his firm, to provide a deliverable (white paper) from which he derived profit-sharing ?

If so I'd say you're mistaken...... But, If not....Then please explain. How exactly did they go about doing that?

I don't know exactly what he did provide. He registered as an agent of a foreign power for accepting approx. $500,000 from the Turkish government. He was required by law (the Foreign Agents Registration Act -- FARA) to register ... he failed to do it for about 7 months.

Also, specific to his status as a retired officer, Flynn is barred by the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution from receiving payment from a foreign government without express congressional approval. Congress passed 37 § U.S.C. 908 to allow such payment with permission of the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the officer’s service. The Secretary of the Army reportedly has no records of Flynn having requested or obtained such permission for his acceptance of payments Russia Today or the Turkish government for his lobbying work. If Flynn is determined to have violated the law with respect to his Turkish employment or payments from Russia, he may have to forfeit his military pay for the period in question.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 07:20 PM
So, am I correct in understanding that you think that The Turkish government made a direct payment to Gen Flynn or contracted with his firm, to provide a deliverable (white paper) from which he derived profit-sharing ?

I don't know exactly what he did provide. He registered as an agent of a foreign power for accepting approx. $500,000 from the Turkish government. He was required by law (the Foreign Agents Registration Act -- FARA) to register ... he failed to do it for about 7 months.

Also, specific to his status as a retired member of the miltiary, Flynn is barred by the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution from receiving payment from a foreign government without express congressional approval. Congress passed 37 § U.S.C. 908 to allow such payment with permission of the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the officer’s service. The Secretary of the Army reportedly has no records of Flynn having requested or obtained such permission for his acceptance of payments Russia Today or the Turkish government for his lobbying work. If Flynn is determined to have violated the law with respect to his Turkish employment or payments from Russia, he may have to forfeit his military pay for the period in question.

37 U.S. Code § 908 - Employment of reserves and retired members by foreign governments

(a) Congressional Consent.—Subject to subsection (b), Congress consents to the following persons accepting civil employment (and compensation for that employment) for which the consent of Congress is required by the last paragraph of section 9 of article I of the Constitution, related to acceptance of emoluments, offices, or titles from a foreign government:
(1) Retired members of the uniformed services.

(2) Members of a reserve component of the armed forces.

(3) Members of the Commissioned Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service.

(b) Approval Required.—
A person described in subsection (a) may accept employment or compensation described in that subsection only if the Secretary concerned and the Secretary of State approve the employment.

(c) Military Service in Foreign Armed Forces.—
For a provision of law providing the consent of Congress to service in the military forces of certain foreign nations, see section 1060 of title 10.

Rainmaker
03-31-2017, 07:31 PM
It is a good statement ...

It's intentionally ambiguous. Which is what good lawyers are supposed to do.

Acknowledges discussions.
As far as I can tell......It Acknowledges discussions With the Intel committees. But, not with the FBI ........ But, I don't know...... or is that just a given?

do you only agree to testify if you are granted immunity?

There are discrepancies because some conflicting reports are saying he's Not asking for immunity.

So, Let's Read it again......

No reasonable person, who has the benefit of advice from counsel, would submit to questioning in such a highly politicized, witch hunt environment without assurances against unfair prosecution.

I'm not sure what this means. Is this asking for immunity or not?

My hunch is that someone's being baited here because If they put him on the record with immunity.....then he goes off and the whole false narrative blow's up in their faces.

would the same hold true for a highly principled man ...

They don't have to give you immunity to make you testify.

So, If he's truly as you said "likely guilty of a crime"...... Then all they'd have to do is force his hand and see if he takes the fifth.......

Now, How come they won't just do that? We don't know. Are they maybe afraid of him talking?

LTG Flynn has 4 Bronze Stars for meritorious service in various areas ... not for actions (which generally refers to combat actions) -- he has never been decorated for combat

True. But, he's put himself in harm's way many times over for this Nation (Yes even as a GO) .

Using Helos as chariots to fly in and out of secure compounds in multiple urban areas, all over shitholes like Iraq and Afghanistan (and other locations) on a regular basis for a decade on end, so that you can personally get eyes on the Intel collected and observe the situation from the ground and debrief the operators personally.......

..... is not something most of the self-serving Hypocrites (that are now anonymously smearing him in the press)..... would be willing to do themselves.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 08:17 PM
As far as I can tell......It Acknowledges discussions With the Intel committees. But, not with the FBI ........ But, I don't know...... or is that just a given?

Congress cannot grant immunity from the prosecution, only the Judicial Branch (the FBI being part of that) could (or the President by a preemptive pardon).

There are discrepancies because some conflicting reports are saying he's Not asking for immunity.

He has not directly / publically asked. The line in the original statement about "if circumstances permit" came across (to me) like he won't testify (i.e. cooperate) without immunity.

My hunch is that someone's being baited here because If they put him on the record with immunity.....then he goes off and the whole false narrative blow's up in their faces.

Maybe

They don't have to give you immunity to make you testify.

So, If he's truly as you said "likely guilty of a crime"...... Then all they'd have to do is force his hand and see if he takes the fifth.......

Now, How come they won't just do that? We don't know. Are they maybe afraid of him talking?

Or ... if he just takes the fifth we don't get information on what the heck was going on. They need some way to start peeling the onion back ... it seems that Flynn may have some info that could help with that ... but he may have personal reasons to not want to talk (because as has been said, it does look like he may have violated a couple of laws -- not murder ... but he isn't perfectly clean either.

True. But, he's put himself in harm's way many times over for this Nation (Yes even as a GO) .

Using Helos as chariots to fly in and out of secure compounds in multiple urban areas, all over shitholes like Iraq and Afghanistan (and other locations) on a regular basis for a decade on end, so that you can personally get eyes on the Intel collected and observe the situation from the ground and debrief the operators personally.......

..... is not something most of the self-serving Hypocrites (that are now anonymously smearing him in the press)..... would be willing to do themselves.

That's all true, well & good. The verbiage from the statement alludes to the awards being the heroic type vice the meritorious type.

Rainmaker
03-31-2017, 08:34 PM
I don't know exactly what he did provide. He registered as an agent of a foreign power for accepting approx. $500,000 from the Turkish government.

Flynn Intel group registered as being hired by Dutch firm to produce a white paper that could be used for lobbying by Turkish interests.

It wasn't like it was some big secret anyway. Hell. He authored an op-ed saying the same thing, that was published in the papers months before the election.

& $500K was the cost for the deliverable produced by the firm. You and I have no idea how much Flynn himself personally profited, you have to pay people that actually do the work and cost of operations.

has been said, it does look like he may have violated a couple of laws -- not murder ... but he isn't perfectly clean either.

Flynn is a patriot, he deserves better than to fall victim to a campaign innuendo by Obama holdovers anonymously spreading 1/2 truths and lies in the media.

You can take anyone in his position and nit-pick their situation to death and find some technicality like the "constitutional emoluments clause" and then allude that he's potentially broken the law (with no evidence being presented other than media suggestion).

After the election He sought an Ethics opinion from the White House council and the advice was he didn't have to disclose it. But, could if he wanted. Which he did later. Probably to protect himself against some Bureaucratic drill like this.

Mjölnir
03-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Flynn Intel group registered as being hired by Dutch firm to produce a white paper that could be used for lobbying by Turkish interests.

It wasn't like it was some big secret anyway. Hell. He authored an op-ed saying the same thing, that was published in the papers months before the election.

& $500K was the cost for the deliverable produced by the firm. You and I have no idea how much Flynn himself personally profited, you have to pay people that actually do the work and cost of operations.

You are right, we don't know how much he personally profited. But as the Chairman and CEO of the Flynn Intel Group, and the way the law is written ... he seems to have not done the right thing for about 7 months.

Flynn is a patriot, he deserves better than to fall victim to a campaign innuendo by Obama holdovers anonymously spreading 1/2 truths and lies in the media.

You can take anyone in his position and nit-pick their situation to death and find some technicality like the "constitutional emoluments clause" and then allude that he's potentially broken the law (with no evidence being presented other than media suggestion).

After the election He sought an Ethics opinion from the White House council and the advice was he didn't have to disclose it. But, could if he wanted. Which he did later. Probably to protect himself against some Bureaucratic drill like this.

No doubt Flynn is a patriot, that doesn't absolve him of exhibiting what I would say is either poor judgement or ignorance (arrogance) about the arena he was stepping into. He probably does deserve better, but he also should have known and done better ... not just for himself ... but for the Administration. At best, this doesn't serve the administration well ... it allows the narrative (false or not) of Russian interference or collusion to permeate. It makes it look like the Administration picked someone for a very important job (for which he was qualified) who was corrupt or dishonest; he may be one or the other, or both or neither ... but the perception is bad and has and continues to harm the administration.

It may be nitpicking to talk about the emoluments clause ... but it is the law. You and I are so far down on the food chain that if we did the same thing it would likely not get noticed, but we aren't a retired LTG, a former head of the DIA, someone becoming active in national politics, a prospective and then serving National Security Advisor. Yes, we are all supposed to be equal under the law, but to not think this would be a thing is ... kind of amateurish.

The White House counsel telling him he didn't have to disclose the activity, doesn't mean he shouldn't have ... I imagine if he had this would all be a moot or negligible point.

waveshaper2
03-31-2017, 11:00 PM

FARA Law; 22 U.S. Code § 612 - Registration; Excerpts;
- Every person who becomes an agent of a foreign principal shall, within ten days thereafter, file with the Attorney General, in duplicate, a registration statement, under oath on a form prescribed by the Attorney General.
- (b) Supplements; filing period
Every agent of a foreign principal who has filed a registration statement required by subsection (a) of this section shall, within thirty days after the expiration of each period of six months succeeding such filing, file with the Attorney General a supplement thereto under oath, on a form prescribed by the Attorney General, which shall set forth with respect to such preceding six months’ period such facts as the Attorney General, having due regard for the national security and the public interest, may deem necessary to make the information required under this section accurate, complete, and current with respect to such period. In connection with the information furnished under clauses (3), (4), (6), and (9) of subsection (a) of this section, the registrant shall give notice to the Attorney General of any changes therein within ten days after such changes occur. If the Attorney General, having due regard for the national security and the public interest, determines that it is necessary to carry out the purposes of this subchapter, he may, in any particular case, require supplements to the registration statement to be filed at more frequent intervals in respect to all or particular items of information to be furnished.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/22/612

Rainmaker
04-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Congress cannot grant immunity from the prosecution, only the Judicial Branch (the FBI being part of that) could.

The line in the original statement about "if circumstances permit" came across (to me) like he won't testify (i.e. cooperate) without immunity.

if he just takes the fifth we don't get information on what the heck was going on. They need some way to start peeling the onion back ... it seems that Flynn may have some info that could help with that

it is speculation on my part that Flynn may not be the biggest fish they want to fry in this.

Well If that's truly the case, that the FBI has him by the balls..... Then wouldn't it make sense for them to grant him immunity from prosecution and make him testify under condition that he not be allowed to take the 5th?

Mjölnir
04-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Well If that's truly the case, that the FBI has him by the balls..... Then wouldn't it make sense for them to grant him immunity from prosecution and make him testify under condition that he not be allowed to take the 5th?

Don't know; not sure exactly what they have leads on. I am not a lawyer, but if the reported timelines re: the filing as an agent of a foreign power for his work at his firm put him in violation of FARA and Title 37 sec 908; if they want him ... it seems pretty clear they could have him on that.

Mjölnir
04-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Don't know; not sure exactly what they have leads on. I am not a lawyer, but if the reported timelines re: the filing as an agent of a foreign power for his work at his firm put him in violation of FARA and Title 37 sec 908; if they want him ... it seems pretty clear they could have him on that.

Rainmaker
04-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Okay. so after 6 months now they have" bigger fish to fry". But, They don't want hear him to talk?

With thousands of DC lobbyists and a revolving private-public sector door, you could probably take hundreds of .gov officials and get them on some kind of administrative technicality or another.

Now, I'm no lawyer either. But, just looked it up and there hasn't been a conviction under FARA since 1966 and the only couple of cases even tried involved $ millions of dollars worth of corruption and kickbacks.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-2062-foreign-agents-registration-act-enforcement

Besides do You think Gen Flynn would be asking for immunity so he can roll over on his bosses,.... over some BS (like filing the paperwork for the emoluments clause) for which the max penalty would be forfeiting a couple months of retirement pay?

What a joke. Their bluff was just called and they showed what's in their hand. Nothing.

Mjölnir
04-27-2017, 12:11 AM
I wonder where this will go ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/us/politics/michael-flynn-white-house-documents-russia.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, may have violated federal law by not fully disclosing his business dealings with Russia when seeking a security clearance to work in the White House, top House oversight lawmakers from both parties asserted on Tuesday.

The revelation came after Representative Jason Chaffetz, Republican of Utah and chairman of the House oversight committee, and other lawmakers on the panel examined classified documents related to Mr. Flynn, including a form he filled out in January 2016 to receive his security clearance. The form is known as an SF-86 and is required by anyone in the government who handles classified information.

As part of the review, Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, the committee’s senior Democrat, said Mr. Flynn did not disclose in those documents payments totaling more than $45,000 that he received from the Russian government for giving a speech in Moscow in 2015, among others.

cont.

Mjölnir
04-27-2017, 12:12 AM
I wonder where this will go ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/us/politics/michael-flynn-white-house-documents-russia.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, may have violated federal law by not fully disclosing his business dealings with Russia when seeking a security clearance to work in the White House, top House oversight lawmakers from both parties asserted on Tuesday.

The revelation came after Representative Jason Chaffetz, Republican of Utah and chairman of the House oversight committee, and other lawmakers on the panel examined classified documents related to Mr. Flynn, including a form he filled out in January 2016 to receive his security clearance. The form is known as an SF-86 and is required by anyone in the government who handles classified information.

As part of the review, Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, the committee’s senior Democrat, said Mr. Flynn did not disclose in those documents payments totaling more than $45,000 that he received from the Russian government for giving a speech in Moscow in 2015, among others.

cont.