PDA

View Full Version : Learned a lesson today, don't cook on wax paper

garhkal
01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Well, i learned a smokey lesson today.
Don't try baking cookies on wax paper (which from when i lived in the UK, is what we were taught to USE).. Which makes me wonder. What has changed in wax paper, that you can't use them in ovens without them smoking??

retiredAFcivvy
01-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Well, i learned a smokey lesson today.
Don't try baking cookies on wax paper (which from when i lived in the UK, is what we were taught to USE).. Which makes me wonder. What has changed in wax paper, that you can't use them in ovens without them smoking??
I'm no cooking expert but can't imagine using wax paper in the oven. Don't think wax paper has changed even UK to US.

retiredAFcivvy
01-02-2017, 05:15 PM
According to wiki there is a bakery paper very similar to wax paper. Thinking back to my days in UK that sounds like something they would use there.

garhkal
01-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Maybe as a kid, what we used in the UK called wax paper WAS that 'bakery paper''/?

Mjölnir
01-02-2017, 11:05 PM
My mom would line her cake pans with wax paper (they were not non-stick).

The wax on wax paper will melt and smoke if is exposed to the dry hot air in an oven. If in contact with moisture (batter or dough) it won't melt or smoke.

Parchment or baking paper works well in an oven ... is already dry and won't smoke.

retiredAFcivvy
01-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Maybe as a kid, what we used in the UK called wax paper WAS that 'bakery paper''/?
I'm not really sure.