PDA

View Full Version : Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **SPOILERS**

Mjölnir
12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Saw this a couple days ago, I really liked it. To me it did a really good job of telling the story behind the 'heroes' in the Star Wars saga. A friend made a joke that it was the story for all the 'red shirts' out there ... Which nearly brought my geek wrath using a Star Trek term to discuss a Star Wars movie.

Things I really liked:

-the film was pretty fast paced.
-filling in why the Empire overlooked the weakness in the Death Star design.
-the battle at the end, got to see Imperial ground forces for the first time since Hoth.
-no one made it, while tragic, it seemed to capture the weight of their mission well.
-how the rebels took major losses at Skarif, it sets up how truly desperate the battle at Yavin (EP IV) really was.
-the little bit of Darth Vader that we got, especially that last bit. Holy f-ing shit ... That is why people are so scared of him. He is a damned walking cheat code in the game of life ... Holy shit!

efmbman
12-29-2016, 03:14 PM
I saw it Tuesday. The kids are out of school, so I took off a day and we all went. We did the same for The Force Awakens, so we have the makings of a tradition.

My kids are pretty tuned into the Star Wars universe, even to the point of knowing that Yavin was significant because the chronology in the SWU uses BBY/ABY as the 0 year. BBY = before the Battle of Yavin, ABY = after the Battle of Yavin. The story was true to what we already knew and suspected. Chief among those theories is that the exposed exhaust port on the 1st Death Star was intentional.

I thought they did an OK job with Peter Cushing's likeness. Some reviews I read didn't, but how could they not have Grand Moff Tarkin? Using Cushing's likeness was their way of saying no one else could play that role (and I agree). The CGI technology will only get better in this area. On a sad note, my middle kid (9) loves the franchise more than anyone I know and his face lit up with a huge smile when Leia was shown at the end, raising his arms and even yelling "LEIA!!" . On the way home I checked my news feed and saw the bad news.

Agreed about Darth Vader... total badass in that last scene!

I liked this one better than The Force Awakens.

Mjölnir
12-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the news about Carrie Fisher really got me down. Tragic how her mom passed the next day ... she apparently said to her son (Carrie's brother) how she wanted to be with Carrie then had a stroke ...

Mjölnir
12-29-2016, 03:22 PM
I saw it Tuesday. The kids are out of school, so I took off a day and we all went. We did the same for The Force Awakens, so we have the makings of a tradition.

My kids are pretty tuned into the Star Wars universe, even to the point of knowing that Yavin was significant because the chronology in the SWU uses BBY/ABY as the 0 year. BBY = before the Battle of Yavin, ABY = after the Battle of Yavin. The story was true to what we already knew and suspected. Chief among those theories is that the exposed exhaust port on the 1st Death Star was intentional.

I thought they did an OK job with Peter Cushing's likeness. Some reviews I read didn't, but how could they not have Grand Moff Tarkin? Using Cushing's likeness was their way of saying no one else could play that role (and I agree). The CGI technology will only get better in this area. On a sad note, my middle kid (9) loves the franchise more than anyone I know and his face lit up with a huge smile when Leia was shown at the end, raising his arms and even yelling "LEIA!!" . On the way home I checked my news feed and saw the bad news.

My daughter (6 yrs old) likes Star Wars and wanted to see it ... I saw it without her and won't be letting her see it for a while ...

I thought the Tarkin CGI was okay ... the Leia CGI seemed off somehow.

Being in the Navy, when that Star Destroyer went dead in the 'water' I thought "if they only had a tug" ... wonder if enough hammerhead corvettes could push one that had propulsion ...

sandsjames
I thought they did an OK job with Peter Cushing's likeness. Some reviews I read didn't, but how could they not have Grand Moff Tarkin? Using Cushing's likeness was their way of saying no one else could play that role (and I agree). The CGI technology will only get better in this area. I'm not gonna lie...even knowing that the actor died in 1994, it didn't cross my mind once that he was CGI during the movie. I thought they did an awesome job with it, while at the same time showing the importance of General Tarkin.

I liked this one better than The Force Awakens.I put this number 2 out of all the Star Wars movies...

It really gave a great explanation as to why the Republic was so depleted with it's fighters when attacking the Death Star, as they had lost most of them during the prior battle...it also made it a little clearer as to why R2-D2 is so focused on finding Obi Wan at the beginning of A New Hope...oh, and also the use of "hope" in the dialogue also gave more weight to the title "A New Hope"...such a great movie.

Mjölnir

My daughter (6 yrs old) likes Star Wars and wanted to see it ... I saw it without her and won't be letting her see it for a while ...

I thought the Tarkin CGI was okay ... the Leia CGI seemed off somehow.

Being in the Navy, when that Star Destroyer went dead in the 'water' I thought "if they only had a tug" ... wonder if enough hammerhead corvettes could push one that had propulsion ...

sandsjames
12-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the news about Carrie Fisher really got me down. Tragic how her mom passed the next day ... she apparently said to her son (Carrie's brother) how she wanted to be with Carrie then had a stroke ...

Maybe I'm a cold hearted bastard but I can't get attached to any of these people, no matter how much I love them in the roles...and I always have a hard time when celebrities who die because of drug use/addiction get place on a pedestal...so my only thought about Fisher's death is how it will change the script of Episode 8 (and, BTW, she was horrible in Episode 7, nostalgia factor aside).

Mjölnir
...oh, and also the use of "hope" in the dialogue also gave more weight to the title "A New Hope"...such a great movie.

Agree, I don't know if that was intentional (probably) ... but a good use of the line.

Mjölnir
...oh, and also the use of "hope" in the dialogue also gave more weight to the title "A New Hope"...such a great movie.

Agree, I don't know if that was intentional (probably) ... but a good use of the line.

Mjölnir
12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Maybe I'm a cold hearted bastard but I can't get attached to any of these people, no matter how much I love them in the roles...and I always have a hard time when celebrities who die because of drug use/addiction get place on a pedestal...so my only thought about Fisher's death is how it will change the script of Episode 8 (and, BTW, she was horrible in Episode 7, nostalgia factor aside).

I guess "really got me down" is a bit much, it was the first one in 2016 (the year of celebrity culling apparently) that made me pause and say "that sucks". Star Wars was the first movie I saw, she was a Princess (and let's not talk about the gold bikini ... hubba hubba). She was one of the 'heroes' from when I was a kid ... pair that with she was only 16 years older than me.

I will toast her with blue milk and cinnamon rolls on May 4th.

sandsjames
12-29-2016, 03:53 PM
I guess "really got me down" is a bit much, it was the first one in 2016 (the year of celebrity culling apparently) that made me pause and say "that sucks". Star Wars was the first movie I saw, she was a Princess (and let's not talk about the gold bikini ... hubba hubba). She was one of the 'heroes' from when I was a kid ... pair that with she was only 16 years older than me.

I will toast her with blue milk and cinnamon rolls on May 4th.

Tons of articles out right now with people bitching how inappropriate comments about her bikini or her buns are...which is a freakin' joke to me because, let's be honest, that's what made her famous. Several celebrities and companies were "forced" to remove tweets they made after she died because the SJWs said it was "inappropriate".

Mjölnir
12-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Tons of articles out right now with people bitching how inappropriate comments about her bikini or her buns are...which is a freakin' joke to me because, let's be honest, that's what made her famous. Several celebrities and companies were "forced" to remove tweets they made after she died because the SJWs said it was "inappropriate".

Yeah.

I obviously never knew her, but based on her interviews etc. her sense of humor seemed like she would have laughed at that stuff.

garhkal
12-29-2016, 05:31 PM
CGI Tarkin was good for me, CGI Leia on the other hand..
That said i absolutely loved the movie..