PDA

View Full Version : S(*(DVC damn Yahoo hacks..

garhkal
12-15-2016, 03:47 AM
So back in september i am sure all of us who use Yahoo got advised of a possible hack that stole the login data for 500 million users..
NOW THE news is saying over a BILLION were hacked back in 2013.. AND WE ARE ONLY NOW FINDING OUT about it??

WHAT THE FLIP?!??!?!? I am sick and tired of finding out 3-5 years AFTER something was wrong.
WHY CAN'T these people acknowledge their screw ups when they flipping happen?!??!?!!?!

Mjölnir
12-15-2016, 09:26 AM
The hack took place in 2013; not sure when it was discovered.

The hack reported earlier this year was discovered this year but 2 years old.

Not sure if Yahoo has a legal responsibility to notify users in a 'timely fashion' ... You could argue they definitely have a moral responsibility to do so. That said, it is free web based email ... You get what you pay for. Yahoo has had known / published problems its password security and Information Assurance standards -- the hack of Yahoo in 2011 revealed a lot of this 5 years ago; in 2011 the hackers said they did it to prove a point that Yahoo had bad security protocols.

I would definitely migrate away from Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook, AOL, GMail etc. --- most free web based email if you want to protect your personal email.

Bos Mutus
12-15-2016, 01:28 PM
The hack took place in 2013; not sure when it was discovered.

The hack reported earlier this year was discovered this year but 2 years old.

Not sure if Yahoo has a legal responsibility to notify users in a 'timely fashion' ... You could argue they definitely have a moral responsibility to do so. That said, it is free web based email ... You get what you pay for. Yahoo has had known / published problems its password security and Information Assurance standards -- the hack of Yahoo in 2011 revealed a lot of this 5 years ago; in 2011 the hackers said they did it to prove a point that Yahoo had bad security protocols.

I would definitely migrate away from Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook, AOL, GMail etc. --- most free web based email if you want to protect your personal email.

I've been on Yahoo since 2001...I want to get rid of it, but I have so much stuff I'd have to change...I guess there's no time like the present to start.

I also get a ton of junk mail every day...

Rainmaker
12-15-2016, 04:18 PM

+ 1.

But, If you're really concerned about security, then you need to set up a personal server in your house and sign up for a Clintonmail.com account. It's free (with your tax deductible, charitable donation to the Clinton Foundation).

You don't even need to use a password, It's cleared for sending up to TS/SCI and according to the President Obutthole sycophants... It's so secure that It somehow managed to never even get hacked by "The Russians".

Bos Mutus
12-15-2016, 04:44 PM

What do you recommend?

Rainmaker
12-15-2016, 04:53 PM
What do you recommend?

Gmail is fine Bos.

Just be sure to use an alias like "Carlos Danger" and make up code words like "pizza", "hotdogs" and "dominoes" to describe illegal activities & they'll never be able to trace it back to you.

Mjölnir
12-16-2016, 05:22 PM
What do you recommend?

ProtonMail is free, web based ... and has the best encryption of a free, web based email that I know of.

It uses a combination of public-key cryptography and symmetric encryption protocols to offer end-to-end encryption, so is much MUCH harder to exploit ... your data would be very safe. The system uses two passwords, a login password and a mailbox password, both have to be provided to access your mailbox, and the mail servers store decryption keys only in their encrypted form so ProtonMail administrators cannot user emails or reset user mailbox passwords.

That said, it doesn't set up well on most smart phones for mobile use. There is an app you can download ... it works well but does not work with the normal mail set-up on an iPhone for sure.

Beyond that but not free, would be to set up your own email server, it isn't that expensive, and you can administer security how you like and mirror a dual public and symmetric encryption without bridging other services email servers ...