PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory voting

garhkal
10-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Over on gateworld, someone mentioned in his home country of the Netherlands, voting is Compulsory. he feels that making it compulsory gets MORE people involved, gives more weight to people's voice and reduces the risk of voter fraud..
Those who fail to comply get fined..

What's everyone here's opinion? Should voting me mandated?
IF so would it reduce the possibility of voter fraud or make no impact?
Should those who fail to vote be fined?

sandsjames
10-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Over on gateworld, someone mentioned in his home country of the Netherlands, voting is Compulsory. he feels that making it compulsory gets MORE people involved, gives more weight to people's voice and reduces the risk of voter fraud..

No...mandatory voting is no more acceptable than forcing someone to own a weapon. Voting is a right, not a requirement.

MikeKerriii
10-29-2016, 04:39 AM

The Aussies have mandatory voting and seem to generally believe it works well. the small percentage of Americans to vote baffles them, It is no more onerous tan mandatory jury duty,

garhkal
10-29-2016, 07:08 AM
The Aussies have mandatory voting and seem to generally believe it works well. the small percentage of Americans to vote baffles them, It is no more onerous tan mandatory jury duty,

So i take it you are for mandatory/compulsory voting then?

How do the Aussies enforce it? DO people get fined if they don't vote?

sandsjames
10-29-2016, 02:12 PM
The Aussies have mandatory voting and seem to generally believe it works well. the small percentage of Americans to vote baffles them, It is no more onerous tan mandatory jury duty, The irony of forcing someone to do something like this in a country based on freedoms baffles me.

Mjölnir
10-29-2016, 02:52 PM
If people are too lazy, apathetic, disinterested etc. in who is leading their country and making decisions on their behalf ... they pretty much deserve exactly the leader they get.

Admittedly we don't have enough people who vote, unfortunately too many of those that do or woefully under-informed about who/what they are voting for.

Rainmaker
10-29-2016, 09:09 PM
The irony of forcing someone to do something like this in a country based on freedoms baffles me.

Libtardism 101:

The government should make voting mandatory to protect our "freedom of choice".

But, requiring a valid photo ID when we vote is "racist"!

efmbman
10-30-2016, 12:56 AM
Admittedly we don't have enough people who vote, unfortunately too many of those that do or woefully under-informed about who/what they are voting for.

That's the part that scares me - the uninformed and easily influenced. Some folks might be casting a vote based on which candidate had the best looking sign outside the polling station.

garhkal
10-30-2016, 03:25 AM
Libtardism 101:

The government should make voting mandatory to protect our "freedom of choice".

But, requiring a valid photo ID when we vote is "racist"!

Worse;
Requireing a photo ID to be a poll watcher, but not to vote.

Mjölnir
10-30-2016, 08:14 AM
That's the part that scares me - the uninformed and easily influenced. Some folks might be casting a vote based on which candidate had the best looking sign outside the polling station.

And it isn't a new thing, we have had uninformed voters since the beginning. It is just sad because we could be so informed today and so many choose not to be.

garhkal
10-30-2016, 07:11 PM
And it isn't a new thing, we have had uninformed voters since the beginning. It is just sad because we could be so informed today and so many choose not to be.

True dat. Too many plugged into social media, and not plugged into world events/news etc..

Mjölnir
10-30-2016, 07:33 PM
True dat. Too many plugged into social media, and not plugged into world events/news etc..

unfortunately I think too many blur the lines between those examples.

efmbman
10-30-2016, 08:58 PM

There's informed... and then there's "informed". Learning how to find accurate information on the internet is a challenge as well. Once the media outlets took sides in the political rhetoric, finding accurate and unbiased information became a skill set that not many possess.

WILDJOKER5
10-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Democrats believe in mandatory voting. My grand parents voted for the GOP for decades, till they died and then switched to democrat.

Bos Mutus
10-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Democrats believe in mandatory voting. My grand parents voted for the GOP for decades, till they died and then switched to democrat.

Ha! Funny...

garhkal
10-31-2016, 05:43 PM
There's informed... and then there's "informed". Learning how to find accurate information on the internet is a challenge as well. Once the media outlets took sides in the political rhetoric, finding accurate and unbiased information became a skill set that not many possess.

Too true. I'd say a solid 85% of all media outlets are liberally biased, and what few conservative ones you can find are often FAR right wing... its lke tryin to find a single needle in a hundred haystacks to get one that is NOT biased..

I mentioned that elsewhere and got slammed for that statement (how people who live that voted gop, seem to switch to democrat when their votes are made after their death)..
Seems some can't handle the truth. A # of the articles i could find on that subject (people voting after being dead) shows that darn near every case of it happening, it WAS a vote for a democrat, and a good chunk of those WERE former GOP voters in life..