PDA

View Full Version : So what happened??

garhkal
07-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Since monday i have not been able to get in?? What went on??

Mjölnir
07-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Database error with the web server host.

garhkal
07-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Then what was up when i tried calling in and getting "We are moving"??
Also, why if the FORUMS were down, was the main Mil times site not also down?
And why is it, they never seem to mention anything ON the main mil times site about it, nor do they seem concerned about replying to people when contacted via the webmaster?

sandsjames
07-29-2016, 04:52 PM
And why is it, they never seem to mention anything ON the main mil times site about it, nor do they seem concerned about replying to people when contacted via the webmaster?

It's a conspiracy! They're trying to keep our voices hushed. It's obviously censorship. You should definitely follow up on this absolute disgrace and miscarriage of justice.

Mjölnir
07-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Don't know.

Different web server host, the server host that stores the vBulletin data is different than the one used for MilitaryTimes.com

The forums have kind of dropped off for MT (no longer a direct forum link on the main pages either). I said it earlier on one thread, I expect when the renewal comes up next spring MTF will likely go away rather than Gannett paying to renew the server space for another year.

garhkal
07-29-2016, 06:56 PM
So after spring next year, we might not HAVE a mil forums any more.. Dat sucks.

Mjölnir
07-29-2016, 08:19 PM
So after spring next year, we might not HAVE a mil forums any more.. Dat sucks.

I don't think so. This past Spring Gannett forgot to renew the Web Hosting contract (the week or so outage we had).

Based on stats: When excluding for spambots, the incoming unregistered traffic mostly comes from Google and Bing (over 90%). Looking at site usage, unregistered traffic is mostly (84%) going to military related threads, registered traffic is mostly confined to In The News & Politics & Government.

Based on my opinion: I would guess a lot of the unregistered traffic is looking for something (military related) that the older threads contained and that ping based on key words; Most of that is old and the newer threads that deal with non-military related topics don't catch the interest of potential new users. The target audience for Military Times is current military, MTF is pretty drained of content that is of interest to that target audience. Personally I think that is a waste of a lot of experience across multiple services and occupational fields ... I did recently find a thread on Reddit that ref'd MTF as "the military forum", but then referred to MTF upon a brief surfing around as a bunch of retirees arguing ... not a bad summation.

Almost 3 years ago Gannett sought to make MTF a partner with its other MT publications, with the goal was to bundle webspace advertising with published content (remember he GearSCout RSS feed that we all hated?). This was right after the Rep Wars, so in looking at the site, the owners didn't like what they saw ... hence ... more moderation; more moderation drove off some of the more voluminous / frequent posters, but in terms of the content Gannett desired, the vast majority of their postings were not desired -- by the owner. This was one reason for categorizing content (not just using the Air Force section for everything), to allow new users an easier time to find topics and to be able to track 'topicality' ... how much of the 'conversation' was based on the 'theme' of the forum. So, I think there is some blame on too much moderation, there is some blame on a user group that does not want to discuss topics related to the 'theme' of the forum (I don't go to a Lord of the Rings forum to discuss race relations etc.). Also, there were some who agreed to the Community Guidelines / Terms of Service and had no intent of adhering to them, we wasted too much time on those folks frankly.

Different than say JQP or a blog, the topics are really up to the users, unfortunately the owner of Military Times wanted more military related content vice the domination of religion, politics and race relations related topics that overly polarize MTF to this day. Even now, traffic is still fairly high (yes, even excluding spambots etc.) with a pretty high hit count every day; unfortunately I think most of the potential new users are quickly turned off.

So, no & based on the last few months I am not optimistic that that the owner (Gannett) gets a return on their investment and don't think it is worth it for the web hosting fee and the licencing for the software that is used for MTF.

Rusty Jones
07-29-2016, 11:37 PM
I see alot of links to Rally Point on MT, so I kind of figured there might be some sort of relationship established between the two sites.

I only spent a few weeks there, and I didn't like it. Too much right wing extremism, and because you have to use real name, rank, photo; etc... people there don't hesitate to report each other to their units, if they don't like what's being said.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 01:21 PM
I see alot of links to Rally Point on MT, so I kind of figured there might be some sort of relationship established between the two sites.

I only spent a few weeks there, and I didn't like it. Too much right wing extremism, and because you have to use real name, rank, photo; etc... people there don't hesitate to report each other to their units, if they don't like what's being said.

There is definitely a relationship. MTF used to publish comments etc. from MTF members using their username (I had a couple printed as Stalwart). That has changed and I think / foresee Rally point becoming the larger Military Times online discussion place than MTF ... TBH.

It was created to be a military LinkedIn type of thing with some discussion boards etc.

I haven't seen too much 'right wing extremism' there, definitely there are those that are more conservative than others, but there are also a fair number of liberals as well.

Rainmaker
08-01-2016, 05:11 PM
They're no longer called Gannett. It's now a TEGNA company holding.

The name "TEGNA" is a partial anagram that omits a second "N" and "T" from that of its predecessor.

Tegna (or TGNA as it will be found on the NYSE) is an acronym of sorts, drawn from “Gannett,” though why the company felt constrained to use only those letters is still a mystery.

Additionally, the logo features a blue background with the letter “G” enlarged — no doubt a subtle nod to "G" from Freemasonry.

There's definitely something sinister going on here.

Reading through the threads, it becomes apparent to anyone initiated into the mysteries, that some of you have allowed yourselves to fall under the influence of dark forces. The good news is that this can only happen with your consent, so it is within your power to change course.

The time to get ready is now. Rainmaker will give as much notice as possible before it's time to go dark.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Reading through the threads, it becomes apparent to anyone initiated into the mysteries, that some of you have allowed yourselves to fall under the influence of dark forces. The good news is that this can only happen with your consent, so it is within your power to change course.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/954/924/bd1.jpg