PDA

View Full Version : Hashtag

sandsjames
07-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Can someone please explain the "hashtag" thing to me? I don't understand the purpose. I realize that it's has something to do with getting a bunch of people to the same topic, though I have no idea how it works, but what is gained if a topic "trends"? I really don't understand the entire process of it. I also hate how regular sentences have "#" in them like it's a normal part of grammar.

Maybe I'm just old...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

MikeKerriii
07-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Can someone please explain the "hashtag" thing to me? I don't understand the purpose. I realize that it's has something to do with getting a bunch of people to the same topic, though I have no idea how it works, but what is gained if a topic "trends"? I really don't understand the entire process of it. I also hate how regular sentences have "#" in them like it's a normal part of grammar.

Maybe I'm just old...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

A hashtag identifies a subject or a particular point of view. Searching for the hashtag takes you to posts talking about that subject.

Trending means that the hashtag is being used very often. It is a indication that a LOT of people are interested in this subject. A topic that trends tend to get heard farther and wider as people who tend to be curious about what is "trending"

And as an old man I can say not keeping up is not a sign of age, disinterest perhaps but not age.

sandsjames
07-15-2016, 09:24 PM
A hashtag identifies a subject or a particular point of view. Searching for the hashtag takes you to posts talking about that subject.

Trending means that the hashtag is being used very often. It is a indication that a LOT of people are interested in this subject. A topic that trends tend to get heard farther and wider as people who tend to be curious about what is "trending"

And as an old man I can say not keeping up is not a sign of age, disinterest perhaps but not age.

I guess my question is why is it better to have more followers? Does it do anything for you? Why do people advertise their twitter accounts? Is it just a "look at me" sort of thing or do they actually get something out of it?

Mjölnir
07-15-2016, 09:38 PM
I guess my question is why is it better to have more followers? Does it do anything for you? Why do people advertise their twitter accounts? Is it just a "look at me" sort of thing or do they actually get something out of it?

As Mike said, it is a way to cross reference social media post etc on a similar topic.

Does it get you any thing? You or I? No. There are professional social media personalities that are paid by sponsors to push products (clothing, jewelry, clubs dtc.). It is a step up from basic modeling but not the same tier as a model you see more frequently. They can negotiate better fees based on the number of followers. They get contracted to post X number of posts or pics per day/week either promoting a product, wearing it etc and adding the company hashtags to the post drive users to the company.

Basically, a hashtag is a very basic html organizational line ... It being used on the internet means someone found a way to commercialize it.

sandsjames
07-15-2016, 09:42 PM
As Mike said, it is a way to cross reference social media post etc on a similar topic.

Does it get you any thing? You or I? No. There are professional social media personalities that are paid by sponsors to push products (clothing, jewelry, clubs dtc.). It is a step up from basic modeling but not the same tier as a model you see more frequently. They can negotiate better fees based on the number of followers. They get contracted to post X number of posts or pics per day/week either promoting a product, wearing it etc and adding the company hashtags to the post drive users to the company.

Basically, a hashtag is a very basic html organizational line ... It being used on the internet means someone found a way to commercialize it.

Hmmmm...ok...I guess...still confusing. I long for the days when I don't have to see everything, whether on TV or the internet, with a #hashtag...or hear it said when referring to everything, or see the two fingers crossed to form a hashtag...

I hate it...the only thing I hate more, I think, is Pokemon GO! I feel like starting a national movement.

Mjölnir
07-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Hmmmm...ok...I guess...still confusing. I long for the days when I don't have to see everything, whether on TV or the internet, with a #hashtag...or hear it said when referring to everything, or see the two fingers crossed to form a hashtag...

I hate it...the only thing I hate more, I think, is Pokemon GO! I feel like starting a national movement.

#pokemondontmatter

I saw a few people this last week at Disney playing it. Not my thing either, that new mini Nintendo preloaded with 30 vintage games from when we were kids however

#shutupandtakemymoney

Mjölnir
07-15-2016, 09:59 PM

#pokemondontmatter

I saw a few people this last week at Disney playing it. Not my thing either, that new mini Nintendo preloaded with 30 vintage games from when we were kids however

#shutupandtakemymoney

sandsjames
07-15-2016, 10:08 PM
#pokemondontmatter

#shutupandtakemymoney

Nice...

Seriously, though, my hatred for it is bordering on irrational. When guys at work start talking about it I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Mjölnir
07-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Nice...

Seriously, though, my hatred for it is bordering on irrational. When guys at work start talking about it I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Using it in conversation ... At our age (early to mid 40s) and beyond ... Odd. This is probably what our parents thought of valley or surfer talk in the early 80s.

#getoffmylawn

Mjölnir
07-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Nice...

Using it in conversation ... At our age (early to mid 40s) and beyond ... Odd. This is probably what our parents thought of valley or surfer talk in the early 80s.

#getoffmylawn

sandsjames
07-16-2016, 12:26 PM

#getoffmylawn

I agree...I'm still not sure why I have such an irrational dislike for it, though. I honestly feel joy when I hear the stories about people ending up hurt, robbed, mugged, etc, as a result of playing this.

Oh well. As long as they don't end up parked in my driveway I guess it's no biggy.

Mjölnir
07-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Randomly saw this today, this guy makes 500k a year from sponsors on Twitter.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/25-old-makes-500-000-180206181.html

Mjölnir
07-18-2016, 12:24 AM

sandsjames
07-18-2016, 10:42 AM

Now I know why I hate it so much. It's about people becoming famous/rich/successful with no discernible skills and others buying into it. The annoying thing is that it leads others into thinking that they can achieve the same thing and THAT is the reason everyone shares/posts everything they do.

Thank you for the link. My hatred is no longer irrational. Now it's completely rational.

Mjölnir
07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Now I know why I hate it so much. It's about people becoming famous/rich/successful with no discernible skills and others buying into it. The annoying thing is that it leads others into thinking that they can achieve the same thing and THAT is the reason everyone shares/posts everything they do.

Thank you for the link. My hatred is no longer irrational. Now it's completely rational.

He drives web traffic to companies that want it, they pay him for it. He hasn't made a spectacle of himself a la the Kardashians. He isn't in construction I will give ya but has found a way to make a living ... can't really fault him for that.

Rainmaker
07-18-2016, 11:45 AM
He drives web traffic to companies that want it, they pay him for it. He hasn't made a spectacle of himself a la the Kardashians. He isn't in construction I will give ya but has found a way to make a living ... can't really fault him for that.
Yeah. But, He probably thinks that he's "better than" sandsjames

sandsjames
07-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Right, he makes $500k for doing nothing...I don't fault him...I fault our country for making people like him of value.