PDA

View Full Version : Shitty Drivers

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 01:05 PM
I think this is a good thread to vent about shitty drivers that we encounter.

I'm going to start with one that I had last night: I was dring northbound on a major street that has two lanes in each direction and a median strip, and I was coming home from my second job. It was 11 at night, so there wasn't much traffic at all.

I was in the left lane, because I need to make a left turn. As I slowed down to make that turn, the car behind me slowed to. Because there was oncoming traffic on the southbound, I had to stop and wait for them to pass. As I slowed to stop, the fucktard behind me gets pissed and honks his horn. He then sits there and waits for me to make that left turn after the oncoming traffic passes, and then he continues on in the left lane after I make that turn.

Now, here's the problem: if I want to turn left, I have the right to do that. There's no sign saying I can't. And if I want to make that left, I am required to yield to oncoming traffic, as they have the right of way.

If that asshole behind be didn't like, then why the FUCK couldn't he get in the right lane and keep it moving?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. For example, if I'm on a busy street and I'm in the right lane, and I want to make a right turn into a shopping center or something like that, people behind me will get pissed and honk their horns at me for slowing down to make that turn.

What in the FUCK is going on here?

Mjölnir
06-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Don't you live in the Norfolk area ... that is what is going on there.

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 01:20 PM

I'm going to start with one that I had last night: I was dring northbound on a major street that has two lanes in each direction and a median strip, and I was coming home from my second job. It was 11 at night, so there wasn't much traffic at all.

I was in the left lane, because I need to make a left turn. As I slowed down to make that turn, the car behind me slowed to. Because there was oncoming traffic on the southbound, I had to stop and wait for them to pass. As I slowed to stop, the fucktard behind me gets pissed and honks his horn. He then sits there and waits for me to make that left turn after the oncoming traffic passes, and then he continues on in the left lane after I make that turn.

Now, here's the problem: if I want to turn left, I have the right to do that. There's no sign saying I can't. And if I want to make that left, I am required to yield to oncoming traffic, as they have the right of way.

If that asshole behind be didn't like, then why the FUCK couldn't he get in the right lane and keep it moving?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. For example, if I'm on a busy street and I'm in the right lane, and I want to make a right turn into a shopping center or something like that, people behind me will get pissed and honk their horns at me for slowing down to make that turn.

It's because everybody is in such a hurry to do everything. We have an intersection in town with a 4 way stop. I think that I'm probably the only person who comes to a complete stop. People behind me will honk because I'm at a complete stop, instead of just rolling through. Of course for the sake of spite, I'll sit there a couple extra seconds when that happens.

garhkal
06-23-2016, 06:14 PM
I too have seen/experienced that. And in some cases they 'roll forward' threatening to bump into me... Which really irks me off..

BUT no where near as much as those coming from side lanes/on ramps etc (or when the road tightens down to 1 lane for roadwork etc), that think you are obligated to let them in, all cause they PUSH their car's nose in front of yours, all while NOT signaling their intent to merge.

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Admittedly, I get impatient myself with people doing things that they have the right to do; but I don't voice my disgust with THEM over it; however, I will sometimes do things to make sure that I'm not affected by their decision.

For example, let's say you're at an intersection that has a long red light and a short green light. You want to make a left turn. The person in front of you (who is also making a left turn) has just entered the intersection but, for whatever reason, they're moving slow as fuck and they're about to stick you with the red light. Although dangerous as fuck, yes, I will enter the intersection and drive around them and make that left turn.

Also... people who stop at yellow lights as soon as it turns yellow, and they're in the leftmost lane, and I intend to make a left. Yes, I'll drive around them to. Even if it means passing them on the left and driving on the other side of the road.

Or... at a red light where the intersection has two lanes on each side. Both lanes on your side each have a car at the red light, but the guy in the right lane intends to go straight (thus holding up everyone who wanted to make a right turn). As long as there are no signs, fences, trees, etc, and it's not residential property... I'll drive right over the corner.

Yeah, I do shit like that... but it's not putting pressure or displaying ill behavior toward the people who did whatever it is they did. It's just me accomodating myself, like the fool behind me in the left lane (in the OP) should have done by passing on the right. At least what he could've done would've been legal, had no reason to be mad.

SomeRandomGuy
06-23-2016, 06:51 PM

About 10 years ago my dad got into a little road rage incident with another driver. Dad was in the right lane on the interstate in pretty heavy traffic. A driver wanted to merge and my dad didn't slow down or move over to let him merge. The guy started tailgating my dad so my dad brake checked him and then drove 10 MPH under the speed limit. The guy finally passed us and flipped my dad off. I don't get it. We had the right of way. It isn't other drivers' job to move out of your way so you can merge. You are supposed to MERGE into traffic.

Anyways, I have a confession to make. I'm a driver some of you probably complain about. I almost never use my turn signal to change lanes. Here's my logic: The turn signal is to let you know I'm slowing down or stopping to make a turn. If I'm changing lanes I've already assured that I have clear distance. I don't need to warn you at all because I'm not cutting you off. My turn signal isn't a request. I've already check to make sure the lane is clear now I'm coming over here in front of you. There's nothing you can do about it and I don't need to warn you at all since I have enough space where you don't need to slow down.

Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.

If you're on an interstate, I can't bitch. Otherwise, there's a factor you left out: pedestrians. If a pedestrian is about to cross a street that you want to make a right turn into... it might be nice for the pedestrian to know that.

garhkal
06-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Admittedly, I get impatient myself with people doing things that they have the right to do; but I don't voice my disgust with THEM over it; however, I will sometimes do things to make sure that I'm not affected by their decision.

For example, let's say you're at an intersection that has a long red light and a short green light. You want to make a left turn. The person in front of you (who is also making a left turn) has just entered the intersection but, for whatever reason, they're moving slow as fuck and they're about to stick you with the red light. Although dangerous as fuck, yes, I will enter the intersection and drive around them and make that left turn.

Also... people who stop at yellow lights as soon as it turns yellow, and they're in the leftmost lane, and I intend to make a left. Yes, I'll drive around them to. Even if it means passing them on the left and driving on the other side of the road.

Or... at a red light where the intersection has two lanes on each side. Both lanes on your side each have a car at the red light, but the guy in the right lane intends to go straight (thus holding up everyone who wanted to make a right turn). As long as there are no signs, fences, trees, etc, and it's not residential property... I'll drive right over the corner.

Yeah, I do shit like that... but it's not putting pressure or displaying ill behavior toward the people who did whatever it is they did. It's just me accomodating myself, like the fool behind me in the left lane (in the OP) should have done by passing on the right. At least what he could've done would've been legal, had no reason to be mad.

So you should never have an argument if you ever get pulled over and ticketed for all that then.

Anyways, I have a confession to make. I'm a driver some of you probably complain about. I almost never use my turn signal to change lanes. Here's my logic: The turn signal is to let you know I'm slowing down or stopping to make a turn. If I'm changing lanes I've already assured that I have clear distance. I don't need to warn you at all because I'm not cutting you off. My turn signal isn't a request. I've already check to make sure the lane is clear now I'm coming over here in front of you. There's nothing you can do about it and I don't need to warn you at all since I have enough space where you don't need to slow down.

Cause its the law, you need to use them to let those behind you know your intent to change/turn, so we don't speed up and take the spot you are entering..
And YES i have gotten ticked for NOT doing that back in Va beach..

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 07:16 PM
So you should never have an argument if you ever get pulled over and ticketed for all that then.

Not that it's likely to happen. I've lived here since 2002 (except for 2006-2009, when I lived in San Antonio), and I was even a taxi driver here. I know the city of Norfolk like the back of my hand, and I know where the cops hang out - and even what they're keeping an eye out for. The only time I'm going to get ticketed is for doing something that I wasn't aware that I was doing.

efmbman
06-23-2016, 07:33 PM

I do it because I want to make the drivers around me aware of my intentions. If someone is just about to perform some crazy NASCAR maneuver, they may hesitate or even wait if they see that I am about to change lanes. Without my signal, they may go ahead with their move at the same time I make my move. Crashing into another vehicle at speed over 60mph can be spectacular to see, but I don't want a view that close to the action.

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes. Let's say you're passing me and there's someone behind you also passing me. The person behind you is impatient with you. You clear me and start to merge right, but you don't use your signal. The impatient guy behind you doesn't see your signal and doesn't want to wait any longer so decides to cut in front of me on his right to pass you on the inside. You merge over, he has nowhere to go and moves into me, forcing me either to hit him or to swerve off the road to avoid contact.

The fault is on the impatient driver but you could have easily avoided the entire situation by using your signal.

Also, how fucking lazy is someone to not use their signal? Is it tiring? Does it interrupt you texting? Hell, most new cars have lane change signals now...you don't even have to turn your blinker on...you just tap it and it flashes 3 times, then goes off.

SomeRandomGuy
06-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Also, how fucking lazy is someone to not use their signal? Is it tiring? Does it interrupt you texting? Hell, most new cars have lane change signals now...you don't even have to turn your blinker on...you just tap it and it flashes 3 times, then goes off.

To be honest, there is just quite a bit going on at that exact moment. I use my mirrors to keep track of other drivers but I always turn and look over my shoulder before changing lanes. So, at the moment I'm changing lanes I'm using my peripheral vision to watch in front of me, I need to shift my body one way or the other to look over my shoulder, I'm trying to maintain my speed and distance, and at that moment you also want me to take my hand off the wheel to flip my blinker up or down? All so that I can warn you of something I'm about to do anyways that doesn't really affect you?

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 08:21 PM
To be honest, there is just quite a bit going on at that exact moment. I use my mirrors to keep track of other drivers but I always turn and look over my shoulder before changing lanes. So, at the moment I'm changing lanes I'm using my peripheral vision to watch in front of me, I need to shift my body one way or the other to look over my shoulder, I'm trying to maintain my speed and distance, and at that moment you also want me to take my hand off the wheel to flip my blinker up or down? All so that I can warn you of something I'm about to do anyways that doesn't really affect you?

Are you serious with this? If driving is this much of a struggle you shouldn't be driving. Plus, you shouldn't be looking over your shoulder. You should be checking your blind spot with a quick glance...if you're looking over your shoulder for any length of time you need to adjust your mirrors.

I really hope there is sarcasm with this...just in case, if you are being serious, it's very simple. Turn your blinker on, then do all that other stuff. That actually gives everyone else longer to see that you'll be changing lanes.

Rainmaker
06-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Don't you live in the Norfolk area ... that is what is going on there.

At least up North people take calculated risks and you can kind of anticipate what they're going to do. They won't normally cut across 8 lanes of traffic to make a left turn on the Interstate or drive their '95 Lincoln town car up on to the sidewalk (because they're too old to hear the curb feelers) and run over a mom pushing a baby stroller or mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal and drive into a retention pond filled with alligators...... That kind of stuff is a Regular Daily Occurrence here in the Land of the Mouse!

garhkal
06-23-2016, 11:47 PM

IMO that is why we are still seeing a hell of a lot of accidents on the road.. Too many gadgets/safety features in cars so people forget how to properly drive for THEIR own safety.. They assume the car will do it all for them.

You're supposed to put the turn signals on before then though..

LogDog
06-24-2016, 12:37 AM
The reason you use the turn signal is to tell the drivers around you you plan to move from one lane to another so they can take their appropriate action such as slowing down to let you. Giving a second or two notice before you make the lane change is usually enough to help other drivers.

LogDog
06-24-2016, 12:42 AM
I don't know what type of vehicle you drive but for me I don't have to take my hand off the wheel to use my turn signal. A quick flick of my finger is all it takes to make the turn signal go up or down.

What you should be doing before you make your lane change is to put on your turn signal and then check traffic by looking over your left/right shoulder and checking your mirrors. Do this and you shouldn't have any problems with drivers around you not knowing what your intentions are.

LogDog
06-24-2016, 12:44 AM
The drivers I hate the most are the "Dive Bombers" who, at the last second, cross two or more lanes of traffic to take an off-ramp. This is especially dangerous during morning or evening rush hours.

Rusty Jones
06-24-2016, 01:06 AM
Or how about that douche that drives up to the front of a backed up exit to cut in, instead of getting in the back like everyone else? The person that pisses me off even more is the guy who actually let him in.

garhkal
06-24-2016, 05:21 AM
The drivers I hate the most are the "Dive Bombers" who, at the last second, cross two or more lanes of traffic to take an off-ramp. This is especially dangerous during morning or evening rush hours.

I can't stand asshats like those.. And another offender are motor bikers, who think that we have to give them a full Car's width to pass THEM, but have NO Problems weaving in and out of traffic, sometimes even clipping people's wing mirrors...

Or how about that douche that drives up to the front of a backed up exit to cut in, instead of getting in the back like everyone else? The person that pisses me off even more is the guy who actually let him in.

Agreed. And if i AM that guy, you can bet i am sneaking my nose forward as close to the guy in front of me, to STOP his ass pushing their way in..

Rusty Jones
06-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Here's a good one: just two weeks ago, on a Saturday, I had a tire blow out. Mind you, this was a Saturday, and it was late in the afternoon. About 6:20 pm. I needed to get to a used tire store, as I only had enough money on me for a used tire. I immediately whipped out my phone, only to find that all the used tire shops were closed. Except one. It closed at 7:00. A normal drive to this tire shop would be about 15 to 20 minutes

I also had a bad spare. Because of this... I had no choice but to get to that tire shop on the flat tire. All I had to do was go straight down the street I was on, make left and down that street, and then might a right and continue until I got to the shop. All three streets had a speed limit of 35.

Like anyone with any sense would do, I put my hazard lights on as a drive in the right lane at 10 mph.

This lets everyone know to go around you, right? Wrong. Even though there wasn't much traffic and people could EASILY pass me on the left, I had cars lining up behind me the whole time. I actually had to stick my hand out the window to wave this idiots to go around me.

I would think that, if one is smart enough to operate a vehicle, they'd be smart enough to go around someone doing 10 in a 35 with their hazard lights on.

LogDog
06-24-2016, 06:29 PM
I can't stand asshats like those.. And another offender are motor bikers, who think that we have to give them a full Car's width to pass THEM, but have NO Problems weaving in and out of traffic, sometimes even clipping people's wing mirrors...

I don't care for motorcycles and I give them as much room as possible. When I'm behind a motorcyclist, I try to stay at least 3-4 car length behind them in case they drop their bike I'll have time to react.

One thing I don't care for is California, where I live, recently allowed motorcyclists to "split lanes" meaning when traffic is slow they can ride between cars. I've seen motorcyclists splitting lanes on the highways when traffic is going 50 mph or more. I just hope these fools have completed their organ donor cards so as least someone else can benefit from their foolish actions.

LogDog
06-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Here's a good one: just two weeks ago, on a Saturday, I had a tire blow out. Mind you, this was a Saturday, and it was late in the afternoon. About 6:20 pm. I needed to get to a used tire store, as I only had enough money on me for a used tire. I immediately whipped out my phone, only to find that all the used tire shops were closed. Except one. It closed at 7:00. A normal drive to this tire shop would be about 15 to 20 minutes

I also had a bad spare. Because of this... I had no choice but to get to that tire shop on the flat tire. All I had to do was go straight down the street I was on, make left and down that street, and then might a right and continue until I got to the shop. All three streets had a speed limit of 35.

Like anyone with any sense would do, I put my hazard lights on as a drive in the right lane at 10 mph.

This lets everyone know to go around you, right? Wrong. Even though there wasn't much traffic and people could EASILY pass me on the left, I had cars lining up behind me the whole time. I actually had to stick my hand out the window to wave this idiots to go around me.

I would think that, if one is smart enough to operate a vehicle, they'd be smart enough to go around someone doing 10 in a 35 with their hazard lights on.
Perhaps it was because you were driving with a flat that ticked people off. I have AAA and would have called them immediately if I had the same thing happen to me.

Rusty Jones
06-24-2016, 06:34 PM
Perhaps it was because you were driving with a flat that ticked people off. I have AAA and would have called them immediately if I had the same thing happen to me.

I'm sure they were ticked. But if they were, then wouldn't that give them MORE motivation to pass me on the left?

garhkal
06-24-2016, 07:34 PM

You would certainly think that. BUT i have seen far too many times where people use their 'hazard lights' when there is no need, so maybe people have gotten so used to that they just ignore it..
Heck someone had their hazards while ILLEGALLY parked just now, when i went to the library to drop of a music CD.. took me 5 mintues (also had to hit the lav) and they were still there with their lights on, in a no parking zone..

I don't care for motorcycles and I give them as much room as possible. When I'm behind a motorcyclist, I try to stay at least 3-4 car length behind them in case they drop their bike I'll have time to react.

One thing I don't care for is California, where I live, recently allowed motorcyclists to "split lanes" meaning when traffic is slow they can ride between cars. I've seen motorcyclists splitting lanes on the highways when traffic is going 50 mph or more. I just hope these fools have completed their organ donor cards so as least someone else can benefit from their foolish actions.

And the # of times i have seen bikers going down the highway at 70+ with NO helmet (even though they by law should have one on), with someone on the back of the bike (also no helmet), wearing SHORTS and a tank top (last i checked they need by law to wear full covering clothes) is just amazing. Its almost like they are TELLING fate "F*** you".. Along with the law, and the cops often just LET them do so.. I think the last time i even SAW a biker getting pulled over, was cause his rear light was almost falling OFF.. Not cause he was speeding, or cause he was not wearing a helmet...