PDA

View Full Version : For Those That Gripe About Running a Mile and a Half ...

Mjölnir
06-22-2016, 08:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotf_l-ht7I

Pretty motivational effort from this guy ...

If I failed a simple physical fitness test and then watched this I would be pissed at myself

garhkal
06-23-2016, 05:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotf_l-ht7I

Pretty motivational effort from this guy ...

If I failed a simple physical fitness test and then watched this I would be pissed at myself

I absolutely LOVE ninja warrior (along with the Spartan events), but i really wish they wouldn't do SO much exposes on this or that person's trials and tribulations YEAR after YEAR, and focus MORE on letting us see MORE people run the courses..

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 10:22 AM
The 1.5 mile run on the AF PT test doesn't piss me off. None of the "events" do. It's the scoring system that pisses me off.

Mjölnir
06-23-2016, 12:39 PM
The 1.5 mile run on the AF PT test doesn't piss me off. None of the "events" do. It's the scoring system that pisses me off.

I will say the USAF PT test is odd to me, I don't think it is too hard, but the metrics are odd.

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 12:47 PM
I will say the USAF PT test is odd to me, I don't think it is too hard, but the metrics are odd.

I think it's too hard for the Air Force. The PT Test, in my opinion, doesn't reflect what the Air Force needs to demand of Airmen. It simply reflects the Air Force's need to keep attrition at a certain level.

Mjölnir
06-23-2016, 12:57 PM
I think it's too hard for the Air Force. The PT Test, in my opinion, doesn't reflect what the Air Force needs to demand of Airmen.

That may be. I have never been an Airmen so don't really know what the minimum physical requirement should be. That said, I think there should be physical requirements of some sort; every study about physical readiness, training etc. I have ever seen shows that when people are at a basic level of fitness they get sick less, get injured (even routine injuries) less, they handle periods of extended stress/work etc. better. Basically, a minimum level of fitness is a cheap way to help aid in people being able to work more, be at work more and costs me less in medical expenses.

It simply reflects the Air Force's need to keep attrition at a certain level.

Possibly, I know the Navy migrated back and forth on enforcement of PRT standards for some time and it can be correlated that when people needed to be cut from end strength and easy 'Step 1' was to actually enforce the existing standard.

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 01:37 PM
So many problems with it, and people don't bitch that it's too hard, they bitch that it doesn't make any sense, as Rusty stated.

Airmen must score a 75% to pass. There are 4 categories...waist, run, push-ups, sit-ups. Waist is 20 points, and you get that for being under a 35 inch measurement. Push-ups, sit-ups are 10 points each and the run is 60. The biggest problem is that each category has a minimum and if you don't meet the minimum in each category you fail. So, someone can fail with a total score above 90 and someone can pass with a 75. Also, if you just meet the minimum in each category, you will fail.

It's a weird system that has zero to do with "fit to fight" and much more to do with "the other services do something, so should we". It started when Airmen were getting sent to CST with the Army before taking an ILO tasking and not completing the training because they were out of shape.

Mjölnir
06-23-2016, 01:45 PM
So many problems with it, and people don't bitch that it's too hard, they bitch that it doesn't make any sense, as Rusty stated.

I have heard folks say it is too hard, same for the USN test ... laughable.

Airmen must score a 75% to pass. There are 4 categories...waist, run, push-ups, sit-ups. Waist is 20 points, and you get that for being under a 35 inch measurement. Push-ups, sit-ups are 10 points each and the run is 60. The biggest problem is that each category has a minimum and if you don't meet the minimum in each category you fail. So, someone can fail with a total score above 90 and someone can pass with a 75. Also, if you just meet the minimum in each category, you will fail.

Navy and USMC kind of have the same thing, you could cumulatively get enough total points to pass but fail a single event and it is an overall failure.

In the USMC, there were minimums for each event, but if you did the minimum in each event (passed) you could not accumulate enough total points to pass the PFT; you had to do more than the minimum in at least one event to get enough points to pass the enter PFT.

It's a weird system that has zero to do with "fit to fight" and much more to do with "the other services do something, so should we". It started when Airmen were getting sent to CST with the Army before taking an ILO tasking and not completing the training because they were out of shape.

"Fit to Fight" is a catchphrase ... goes well on posters at the gym etc. I think some of the fitness standards have to do with basic readiness and health, some of it (specifically for the USAF) seems to be a bit odd (the waist measurement max's and such).

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 01:57 PM
"Fit to Fight" is a catchphrase ... goes well on posters at the gym etc. I think some of the fitness standards have to do with basic readiness and health, some of it (specifically for the USAF) seems to be a bit odd (the waist measurement max's and such).Another problem with the Air Force "fitness" programs is if a person who scores high on the test was to do only the squadron PT program, their score would fall. Most of the people do much better with their own programs.

I'm of the mind that we're all adults. Have the test as required by AFI. If the person fails then they pay the consequences. No PT "program" required. I can't count how many hours were wasted in my career doing "butterfly stretches" and "right over left". So inefficient.

garhkal
06-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Now that i agree with. The mile and a half run is not a big thing, how they score is.

And that's the part that always irked me off the most. I could run my ass off, and barely miss being outstanding on the run, but if i failed anywhere else (Or even PASSED but in marginal scoring) i am still 'classed as failing and thus going to be pushed to Fitness Enhancement.. Yet someone who willingly does JUST barely over the marginal passing level, is not hit for anything...

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Here's what I don't like about the Air Force PT test, and why I think it's too hard for the Air Force:

1. Body fat. You LOSE points for having a waist larger than 35 inches. No other service does this; not even the Marine Corps. In every other service, as long as you meet the minimum body fat requirement, you're good to go.

2. The scoring system: in the Army and Navy, all you have to do is pass each category, and you're good. In the Air Force and Marine Corps, you have to do a little extra in each category in order to reach the overall minimum score. Why the fuck is the Air Force, of all services, doing the same shit as the Marine Corps with regard to this? The only difference between the Air Force and Marine Corps that I'm able to see is that, in the age group, the Air Force changes the point values per repetition (or time block in the run) just like the Army and Navy, whereas the Marine Corps simply lowers the minimum required overall score you need as you go up in age.

3. The age brackets. I don't know about the Army and Marine Corps, but the Navy has five year age brackets and the Air Force has ten. A 39 year old has the SAME minimums as a 30 year old. That SUCKS.

Mjölnir
06-23-2016, 07:06 PM
1. Body fat. You LOSE points for having a waist larger than 35 inches. No other service does this; not even the Marine Corps. In every other service, as long as you meet the minimum body fat requirement, you're good to go.

Squarely in the "things I don't get about the USAF PT Program" category.

2. The scoring system: in the Army and Navy, all you have to do is pass each category, and you're good. In the Air Force and Marine Corps, you have to do a little extra in each category in order to reach the overall minimum score. Why the fuck is the Air Force, of all services, doing the same shit as the Marine Corps with regard to this? The only difference between the Air Force and Marine Corps that I'm able to see is that, in the age group, the Air Force changes the point values per repetition (or time block in the run) just like the Army and Navy, whereas the Marine Corps simply lowers the minimum required overall score you need as you go up in age.

Well, if you are going to copy someone ... copy the best ;)

I know ... I left for the Navy ... I just thought it was funny.

3. The age brackets. I don't know about the Army and Marine Corps, but the Navy has five year age brackets and the Air Force has ten. A 39 year old has the SAME minimums as a 30 year old. That SUCKS.

Meh ... it is where they draw the line. I am 43, bad back, bad knee. Ran the PRT a few weeks ago with a partial tear in my ACL, had knee surgery the week after the PRT. The tests themselves are overall laughable in their difficulty whether you are 18 or 50 for someone who is in the military barring having an actual, no kidding medical condition ... in which case you either get a medical waiver or possibly don't need to be in the Armed Forces any longer. Shitty thing to say for sure ... but it is what it is. For every person we can't deploy either to combat, on a ship or at least to a forward area / base ... that is someone else who has to go for them. If you can't go when your turn comes up ... time to find a new vocation.

garhkal
06-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Agreed. But imo the suckier part is a gal of 18 has a lower # of pushups, sit ups and time needed for the run than a 44 yr old guy??

Rusty Jones
06-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Agreed. But imo the suckier part is a gal of 18 has a lower # of pushups, sit ups and time needed for the run than a 44 yr old guy??

I understand that part. Put this this way: an 18 year old woman and 44 year old man are about to fight. Neither one of them are trained in a martial art, neither of them workout at the gym, and neither of them are fat either. Both are 100% able bodied.

Who are you putting your money on?

sandsjames
06-23-2016, 07:34 PM

This is the biggest thing. We were in 5 year brackets until about 6 or 7 years ago.

As you mention, there's a huge difference between 30 and 39. Also, there is only a 24 second difference if you are 18 or if you're 39. That's 21 years...24 seconds for the minimum. Now, the minimum isn't difficult with any effort, but the fact that they expect someone who's almost 40 to perform at the same level as an 18 year old is ridiculous.

Hell, look at professional sports. Most athletes are done by their early to mid 30s and very few are successful as they near 40. It gets to the point where 6 foot 6 inch basketball players don't even attempt to dunk the ball because their bodies are so worn out. It was working at 5 years...don't know why they needed to change it.

garhkal
06-23-2016, 11:42 PM
It was working at 5 years...don't know why they needed to change it.

Whiners more than likely.. Or those who routinely had issues, got into general spots and changed it cause they could.